NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 398 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 8, 2012
Friends in Louisiana sent me this story. Look like this store clerk was a bit heavy hand of enforcing the face mask rule.

Lol half a gram of marijuana in an unrelated car search?

So basically probably dropped a tiny bud or something one time 3 years ago.

I have no intention of this being political - but God damn we clearly arent getting the message across to people that just because a cop asks you to do something (search your vehicle, search you, take a breathalyzer, etc...) Doesn't mean you have to.

Reactions: PingSpike

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Lol half a gram of marijuana in an unrelated car search?

So basically probably dropped a tiny bud or something one time 3 years ago.

I have no intention of this being political - but God damn we clearly arent getting the message across to people that just because a cop asks you to do something (search your vehicle, search you, take a breathalyzer, etc...) Doesn't mean you have to.
It's the baggies and cellphones that have them charging "intent to distribute."

Nov 8, 2012
It's the baggies and cellphones that have them charging "intent to distribute."
Lol really?

Okay actually now that I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised if he did something like write a dollar amount on it for how much he charges

Though I could easily argue against that as well to say he was the buyer from a seller that wrote it.

Regardless, yeah that's dumb..... But you know what's 20x dumber? Consenting to a search.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Anecdotally I can attest to people going out less while the state government refuses to re-close many businesses as the outbreak accelerates out of control. Even in the parks there are fewer people, they are mostly masked, and nobody will get within 10 feet of each other. High frequency economic data is already showing the pullback.

You can't fix the economy until you fix the virus.
Things are getting worse willy nilly in the SF Bay area, where I am. We were golden, "A+" said the head of UC San Francisco Medical today, the first 2 months of the pandemic, but he says that now "the miracle is over." The graphs are showing what looks to be exponential growth the last 2-3 weeks. Cases, hospitalizations doubling or worse.

The dumbasses who are resisting mask wearing need to be put in their place. I really think that's a great place to start right now in trying to rein this in. Wearing a mask is not just good epidemiological practice, it's a street theater advertisement that we need to take this very seriously or we're just fucking ourselves up for years to come. Civic responsibility is something a lot of people can't get behind. But if other people rag on them, most of them will comply. I think we need that kind of scene now... uh huh, public shaming. It can be subtle. That's fine. Whatever it takes.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Things are getting worse willy nilly in the SF Bay area, where I am. We were golden, "A+" said the head of UC San Francisco Medical today, the first 2 months of the pandemic, but he says that now "the miracle is over." The graphs are showing what looks to be exponential growth the last 2-3 weeks. Cases, hospitalizations doubling or worse.

The dumbasses who are resisting mask wearing need to be put in their place. I really think that's a great place to start right now in trying to rein this in. Wearing a mask is not just good epidemiological practice, it's a street theater advertisement that we need to take this very seriously or we're just fucking ourselves up for years to come. Civic responsibility is something a lot of people can't get behind. But if other people rag on them, most of them will comply. I think we need that kind of scene now... uh huh, public shaming. It can be subtle. That's fine. Whatever it takes.

The huge outbreak DOC caused at San Quinten has certainly not helped matters and of course is seeping into the community as the staff gets sick too. Transferring prisoners during a major outbreak is unbelievably stupid.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I live in a small corner of the country that has mostly been spared by covid because fewer people here travel. There are pockets of money, but I think I read the avg credit score is in the low 600s. That just suggests that there are a lot of blue collar and retail workers with limited capability to vacation. However, more recent weeks, people are still hitting beaches in SC and NC and coming back COVID positive. Remember, I hit the SC coast in late May and took precautions. I witnessed that very few people in the grocery stores wore masks and I picked up a pizza from a local place one night....cooked in the condo the rest of the time. I feel as though the majority of people are ignorant fools that don't analyze risk properly, which is unfortunate for the trajectory of this thing as we await a viable vaccine.

Things are going to continue to ramp up in the South. We are seeing an increased number locally and without another mandated shutdown (that simply won't happen), it's going to spiral quickly. My wife's office is seeing more and more suspected cases and it scares me because of how many people work in that environment in a relatively confined space.

We finally allowed our cleaning lady to come back 2-3 weeks ago and I don't want to let her go again as she took about 2 months off. She wears a mask, but I'll likely go back behind her with wipes and try to re-sanitize most surfaces we frequently touch. Luckily, I have about 800 sq feet of space that we don't allow her in...so I can shelter upstairs with the kids while she does her thing cleaning for 3 hours. =)

Btw...I was playing a free game on Xbox Live the other day and someone's mic wasn't adjusted properly. I could hear multiple people coughing in the background. It sounded pretty bad and of course, I'm thinking they all have it...

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I feel as though the majority of people are ignorant fools that don't analyze risk properly, which is unfortunate for the trajectory of this thing as we await a viable vaccine....
Speaking of people who don't analyze risks properly...
She wears a mask, but I'll likely go back behind her with wipes and try to re-sanitize most surfaces we frequently touch.
If fomites and surface contamination really aren't as big a risk as they originally thought and it really is airborne for significantly longer than we thought, you may be better off leaving the surfaces alone for several hours while you draw in fresh air with a fan. ;)

Sleep on it, then come back and clean. It's definitely how I would do it.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
India and South Africa appear to be exploding with exponential growth.

Brazil continues its trajectory of ~40,000 new cases and ~1000 new deaths everyday.

But the United States remains the undisputed heavyweight champ of new cases. And now new deaths are returning to the 1,000/day mark.

The land of the free, the land of the brave, the land of the sick.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Michigan Gov has issued a mask order effective Monday. Fines of $500. Businesses required to refuse entry to people who are not masked.

• Love
Reactions: Muse

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Michigan Gov has issued a mask order effective Monday. Fines of $500. Businesses required to refuse entry to people who are not masked.
That's been the rule in CA for a while now, doesn't seem to have had the expected impact.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Most NV bars look set to be closed at midnight tonight for the foreseeable future.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
That's been the rule in CA for a while now, doesn't seem to have had the expected impact.
But are they enforcing that rule? Are they actually fining people?

Sounds like that is really what we need to get people to wear masks. News outlets should report "x number of people were fined yesterday for not wearing a mask" to get the word out.

Reactions: Muse
Nov 8, 2012
Where's a totalitarian government when you need one?!

(Sorry, had to... statement sounded too good to pass up)...

But no seriously, this should be a wake up call that our American culture in general is just a piece of shit. People are insensitive assholes. I'm as libertarian as it gets, but when you do stuff like make an ass of yourself in public, you're effecting other people. You're effecting businesses, you're effecting how our culture is, you're effecting how other countries see us, etc..

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
They don't have to fine individuals. All they have to do is tell businesses, organizations, and government offices to require them and if the they don't try then you can fine them. If a business tries to enforce it and law enforcement is required because an individual will not comply, well then that individual will be charged with trespassing, disorderly conduct, or whatever other existing laws they broke. Much easier than fining individuals and threatening them with a year in jail over a mask, which everyone knows will be thrown out in a year anyway and likely result in lawsuits against the arresting departments.

Reactions: PingSpike

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
But are they enforcing that rule? Are they actually fining people?

Sounds like that is really what we need to get people to wear masks. News outlets should report "x number of people were fined yesterday for not wearing a mask" to get the word out.
I don't think they're fining people, but I haven't seen anyone in a store without a mask. It's pretty much universal here in the bay area.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
LOL

Apparently Disney world is actually reopening tomorrow.

This is fucking hilarious just based on the fact that cases were LOWER when they closed.
That's crazy. How do they even expect it to be worth it with essentially local visitors only?

Feb 4, 2009
I don't think they're fining people, but I haven't seen anyone in a store without a mask. It's pretty much universal here in the bay area.

Same here in MA, this week I saw a couple at the gas station inside paying without masks other than that I haven’t seen anyone without masks.
Rarely do I see someone without.
I do see old people wearing them wrong nearly every day.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
That's crazy. How do they even expect it to be worth it with essentially local visitors only?

My brother and his wife are flying down there to go to the parks. Fortunately I convinced my 68 year old mother and 94 year old grandfather to forbid them from visiting.

Some people just...don’t get it.