NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 388 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Research is not based on 'feelings' or 'typicals'. It should be based on facts and proof. And when Mr Weinstein's first reached tweet is political and espouses several extreme political ideas within very few more, speaks to me he might have an agenda. Also, he quotes the same 'research' from Sorenson as proof.
Genetic scientists published what has been called a "landmark" study in Nature Medicine back in March:
https://news.tulane.edu/pr/study-coronavirus-pandemic-sparked-nature-not-bioengineering

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
That just sounds like everything I've argued as speculation is just speculation. Possibly biased. Why is real science under attack?
Yes, I was agreeing with you when other posters offer doctors who claim SARS-CoV-2 must have a bioengineered origin. I'm not qualified to say that's impossible, but I'll have to agree with the real genetic scientists until any contrary proof is provided. Sick and tired of right-wingers who attach this disclaimer to their conspiracies: "I'm not saying that's what happened, but isn't it at least possible?"

Wow, your post count is the very definition of lurker status! :D

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
I find all this politicization mind boggling. We are smack dab in the middle of a pandemic, the political parties are falling apart or morphing into something else and that stupid left right BS is the only way people can parse things.

Let's see, I see some right (or left) leaning correlation in the study this dude just posted, it doesn't fit the narrative I have been indoctrinated with, so I must find some way to tear it down. It really doesn't matter if I have been consistent, logical, or in line with the facts, I have proven myself true to my faith. I feel good now.

What a waste of brain cells.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Though this was a pretty informative run though of how various health professionals gauge and manage personal risk at a time like this:

One thing that I noticed in that article is that the "health professionals" they picked all seem to get paid pretty well. Many of them mentioned that they have people come over who clean their house for them and deliver food to them.

The only reason I mention that is that lower income people tend to have to take more risks because of the jobs they have. Sadly, it's not an even playing field out there when it comes to avoiding COVID-19.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I just got back from a funeral. It was 100 degrees, muggy, sweaty, sparsely attended and sad. Paranoia being in a hot virus spot reigns supreme, especially when most are elderly.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
One thing that I noticed in that article is that the "health professionals" they picked all seem to get paid pretty well. Many of them mentioned that they have people come over who clean their house for them and deliver food to them.

The only reason I mention that is that lower income people tend to have to take more risks because of the jobs they have. Sadly, it's not an even playing field out there when it comes to avoiding COVID-19.

Yes, I'd generally expect health professionals who are undoubtedly very educated and some leading organizations to be well paid. That said someone like Fauci does his own grocery shopping so it's not quite David Geffen posting pics of himself isolating on a 500ft yacht.

That lower income people, for many reasons, are being disproportionately impacted by the virus is pretty well documented. The reasons for the growing wealth gap which results in this are probably beyond the scope of this thread but the effects are quite clear. This is made worse by a government that has essentially given up on the suppression effort.

Nov 8, 2012
Yuma, Nogales, and Douglas, AZ are border towns and are Corona hotspots. Mexico would like to keep that crap out.

I'm sure Mexico is keeping everyhing contained... I'm absolutely sure they have adequate testing, facilities - and that everything is covered free of charge for everyone!

akouocoop

Apr 8, 2006
Wow, your post count is the very definition of lurker status! :D

This is my second account after I got locked out after an email change too, ;)

I want science. I don't want someone pushing a narrative. And the left leaning folks seem more in line with that than the right leaning folks. Thanks for posting.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I'm sure Mexico is keeping everyhing contained... I'm absolutely sure they have adequate testing, facilities - and that everything is covered free of charge for everyone!
Sonora has 248 cases/100k. Arizona has 1278 cases/100k population. Keeping out those filthy Americans is probably a good idea.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

akouocoop

Apr 8, 2006
I find all this politicization mind boggling. We are smack dab in the middle of a pandemic, the political parties are falling apart or morphing into something else and that stupid left right BS is the only way people can parse things.

Let's see, I see some right (or left) leaning correlation in the study this dude just posted, it doesn't fit the narrative I have been indoctrinated with, so I must find some way to tear it down. It really doesn't matter if I have been consistent, logical, or in line with the facts, I have proven myself true to my faith. I feel good now.

What a waste of brain cells.

It's no't, at base, about anyone's political views if they adhere to science. But if they postulate theories without proof, unfortunately those predilections come into play right now. Throwing out theories and not backing them with research other than opinion is not science.

akouocoop

Apr 8, 2006
In a way, Trump is right. We can't go back to a full lockdown again. If we tried, we would have an economic meltdown and riots in the streets.

If he would acknowledge and say its necessary, and provide econimc support, there wouldn't be a meldown or riots.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
In a way, Trump is right. We can't go back to a full lockdown again. If we tried, we would have an economic meltdown and riots in the streets.
We're not ever going back to full lockdown again. Maybe if this was Ebola but not for Coronavirus.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

That’s not what I’m talking about and we never actually did a full lockdown. There are a range of mitigations that could help us out of this but the government refuses to lead.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Correct. They are getting free testing...They're hopping the fence and getting tested in AZ...then hopping back.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
We're not ever going back to full lockdown again. Maybe if this was Ebola but not for Coronavirus.
...and we wouldn't have to if everyone wore masks.

Sell people on that. "Don't want another lockdown? Wear a damned mask! -Donald J. Trump" followed by embracing it, encouraging it, and using influence/executive orders to convince states to adopt measures encouraging it.