NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 386 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
IgG I think a week or so after symptom onset generally so significantly later than PCR which can find it presymptomatic.
Thanks. Yeah, that's a problematically long time, especially since many infections have nearly recovered by then.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Turning masks in to a partisan issue was a real bad idea.
We need to get rid of the dumbfuck in the White House. His m.o. of a bad idea a minute has poisoned the national discourse. Once we get him in the rear view mirror we can hopefully get on the recovery path. Virus and beyond. OK, non-political... sorry. But there's just no separating the political from the epidemiological strategies at play now.

Reactions: TeeJay1952
Nov 8, 2012
We need to get rid of the dumbfuck in the White House. His m.o. of a bad idea a minute has poisoned the national discourse. Once we get him in the rear view mirror we can hopefully get on the recovery path. Virus and beyond.

lol someone is getting political in the non-political.

Anyhow, you can't keep pointing the finger at a man that is supposedly incredibly dumb - but also smart enough to be the reason that everything is falling apart. Those 2 things are complete opposites ;)

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
lol someone is getting political in the non-political.

Anyhow, you can't keep pointing the finger at a man that is supposedly incredibly dumb - but also smart enough to be the reason that everything is falling apart. Those 2 things are complete opposites ;)
Not when you are POTUS. The American public has been finding that out for 3 1/2 years, the hard way. He was never very smart, and the fact that the American public is pretty goddamn dumb has been made quite apparent.

"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Last edited:
Reactions: MrSquished

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
July 01, 2020
Governor Tom Wolf today announced a new order signed by Dr. Levine that takes the mask-wearing directive one step further.

With this order, signed under Dr. Levine’s authority under the Disease Prevention and Control Act, masks must be worn whenever anyone leaves home. The order takes effect immediately.
On the news they keep saying "masks must be worn whenever anyone leaves home & can't maintain social distancing". Which is probably the way it should be worded. I'm not going to put on a mask just because i'm out in my yard... there's no one within a 1/4 mile.

BTW, i say good for him to announce more mask wearing. Though i don't see or have heard of any enforcement of this. PA is on a slight increase in cases. Nip it in the bud if we can.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
On the news they keep saying "masks must be worn whenever anyone leaves home & can't maintain social distancing". Which is probably the way it should be worded. I'm not going to put on a mask just because i'm out in my yard... there's no one within a 1/4 mile.

BTW, i say good for him to announce more mask wearing. Though i don't see or have heard of any enforcement of this. PA is on a slight increase in cases. Nip it in the bud if we can.
I don't wear one in my yard... I can't even see anyone. I can hear people talking, working, kids playing, all that kind of stuff, but nobody's closer than 30 feet from me. In my town they have told people to have a mask with you when you go out and wear it when within 30 feet of strangers. I'm 100% fine with that.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
It also stipulated in a facility open to the public, a whole pile of workplaces are not "open to the public" and will not require masks.

Nov 8, 2012
It also stipulated in a facility open to the public, a whole pile of workplaces are not "open to the public" and will not require masks.
Nor should they? I easily had 6+ ft away from me in.. pretty much every job I've ever had.... Even in small cubicle days.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Nor should they? I easily had 6+ ft away from me in.. pretty much every job I've ever had.... Even in small cubicle days.
My workplace requires them but I work open to close in a private office and only deal with my coworkers over the phone. Of course my mask comes off the moment I step through that door but I'd put it back on if I got a rare visitor.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011

The 6' rule is BS inside a closed environment. In public areas why the hell not? They encourage the use of masks there so just go ahead and mandate it. If you are in an office? Sure no need there. In a cubicle farm? LOL, good luck. 15 people in a meeting room shoulder to shoulder? Nope since we are not open to the public the order does not apply.

Have you ever been in the bowels of a 100 year old nearly abandoned federal building? I have to wear one there because gov facilities require them everywhere, more likely to run into a reservoir of the Spanish Flu than SARS 2 in some of these places.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I think that most of the aversion to wearing masks is psychological, and largely self-induced. It's really a trivial inconvenience unless you want to sip a liquid or eat. Those can wait until you are in a safe space to do so. If you're a smoker, quit, goddamn it! :D

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
I think that most of the aversion to wearing masks is psychological, and largely self-induced. It's really a trivial inconvenience unless you want to sip a liquid or eat. Those can wait until you are in a safe space to do so. If you're a smoker, quit, goddamn it! :D

The day after Trump said he would not wear a mask is when the people around me changed from saying they are ineffective to saying it is a plot by the liberals to bring down America. People are freaking loons.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The day after Trump said he would not wear a mask is when the people around me changed from saying they are ineffective to saying it is a plot by the liberals to bring down America. People are freaking loons.
Freaking loons. Yup. Used to call such people "lost souls." William Blake called them "lapsed souls." Some people appear to be absolutely hopeless.

Reactions: mopardude87

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I went to Target get a new set of cloth masks but the blue color ones were sold out, again. Only black and red ones left. The price was decent, $4 for a set of 2 plus sale tax.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
One thing to note: religious services exempt from the mask rule... One of the places where it seems to spread so easily, and be exempts it.

I kind of expected this. That's just a bridge too far for the GOP here, they are after all insisting on having an in person state convention in Houston NEXT MONTH.

I had to go out for a medical appointment yesterday here in Austin and I can only describe the public mood as extremely wary. Nobody not masked indoors or going into businesses. 2/3rds of people even just walking down the street in masks. People being careful about not ending up to too near each other.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muse
Nov 20, 2009
While I hate wearing a mask, if I am expected to in certain places, I do wear one. But what I find completely amusing is with my state's DOT. They have those message signs saying 'Give extra distance' between vehicles as if someone coughing, sneezing or spitting at 65-80 MPH out their window is going to make it into another vehicle. I get the social distancing on foot, but with people sealed in their vehicles and enjoying AC in the summer heat I doubt I could get within the 6' rule unless I tried to fuck the car in front of me. Just saying, no fetish for cars here. :p

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
While I hate wearing a mask, if I am expected to in certain places, I do wear one. But what I find completely amusing is with my state's DOT. They have those message signs saying 'Give extra distance' between vehicles as if someone coughing, sneezing or spitting at 65-80 MPH out their window is going to make it into another vehicle. I get the social distancing on foot, but with people sealed in their vehicles and enjoying AC in the summer heat I doubt I could get within the 6' rule unless I tried to fuck the car in front of me. Just saying, no fetish for cars here. :p
Electronic signs in the Atlanta area have been saying "Give Extra Distance" since before the pandemic. Trucks, rain, generally, etc... any reason.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Are you sure they aren't just trying to prevent vehicular accidents?
Electronic signs in the Atlanta area have been saying "Give Extra Distance" since before the pandemic. Trucks, rain, generally, etc... any reason.

Exactly.