NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 380 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Rumblings out of Mayo that convalescent plasma therapy produces a major survival benefit. They've tracked almost 30K patients who received it. Hopefully they publish findings soon.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I thought it was odd that PA's Health Dept. website has had diarrhea listed as a symptom since the beginning. It was the only place i saw that listed it as a symptom, till now.

Yeah... when I got sick back in February, diarrhea was definitely a symptom of what I had.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Whatever bullshit reason people need, there is always something prob more worst then a mask for safety. Thought this was worth a share.

1593431236131.png

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
I expect record numbers to continue this week (and it will not simply be because of increased testing). Deaths may continue to trend downward for a week or so, but unfortunately will trend back upward as the disease progresses in all of these new infections.

EDIT: Also worth noting, the number of active cases in the country is increasing rapidly and is currently the highest it has ever been. Yesterday about 40,000 new cases were reported, while only 12,000 recovered. The total number of active cases is ~1.4 million. We had initially been holding steady at ~1.1 million active cases after flattening the curve.

Last edited:
Reactions: mopardude87

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I expect record numbers to continue this week (and it will not simply be because of increased testing). Deaths may continue to trend downward for a week or so, but unfortunately will trend back upward as the disease progresses in all of these new infections.

EDIT: Also worth noting, the number of active cases in the country is increasing rapidly and is currently the highest it has ever been. Yesterday about 40,000 new cases were reported, while only 12,000 recovered. The total number of active cases is ~1.4 million. We had initially been holding steady at ~1.1 million active cases after flattening the curve.
They said this on the news this morning. It's kind of like, if you don't have that disclaimer about increased testing, it's an assumption the conspiracy theorists are making.

Oddly, the conspiracy theorists in the Covid-19 crisis are people who don't believe it's a thing. I mean, think about that....with 9/11, the conspiracy theorists were that it wasn't an act of terrorism and that it was the federal govt behind it. 19 years later, people are assuming the federal govt is right in pretending that a pandemic isn't a threat to people....more or less. :p

Yes and states in the South, where the virus is gaining the most traction are UNDER REPORTING the cases and deaths, as they have been since the shutdown. Red states are the worst because they want to protect small business (don't misunderstand me....I really believe it's a noble cause). I feel as though they should start studying the mortality rate in this country based on NCAA fan types.....It's going to 90% worse for SEC fans than NEC fans before it's over with.

Reactions: Roger Wilco
Nov 8, 2012
Not trying to make this political - because I assume everyone here is old enough to laugh at shit without taking it seriously:

I have a crazy nutter neighbor basically making conspiracy theories that the "Democraps" are selectively spreading this virus in certain areas lol.

1593439887955.png

• Wow

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Not trying to make this political - because I assume everyone here is old enough to laugh at shit without taking it seriously:

I have a crazy nutter neighbor basically making conspiracy theories that the "Democraps" are selectively spreading this virus in certain areas lol.

View attachment 24476

Are you also needing a Claritin sir? Maybe a Benadryl ? Severely allergic to bullshit myself and WOW there we go. Might wanna double down on these sir. What the fuck, i read one conspiracy then i read another and its almost like a competition to see who's the biggest nut. With me when i read one, the newest one after that tops the last one!

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Cuomo says he may delay indoor dining in NYC. Probably a good call.

Open more streets and let restaurants set up in them across the city.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I have a idea, can we have a second Corona thread and its just memes, perhaps just links and pictures and various stories showing the stupidity and stuff of various people? Have the serious need to know information here, then put all the random bs in the other? I don't volunteer to start it but it crossed my mind. I don't count the mask thread in the P&N as one, cause it wouldn't contain all the juicy conspiracy theories.

Think of the second thread of like a venting thread perhaps with humor mixed in? I am sure we all see some stupid things, like i went on my walk this morning and as always people driving solo in their cars hitting 50mph and wearing that mask. I feel bad posting stuff like that in this thread, cause its not exactly constructive but i feel a thread like i mentioned would be perfect.

Thoughts? Anyone wanna start it off?

Nov 8, 2012
I have a idea, can we have a second Corona thread and its just memes, perhaps just links and pictures and various stories showing the stupidity and stuff of various people? Have the serious need to know information here, then put all the random bs in the other? I don't volunteer to start it but it crossed my mind. I don't count the mask thread in the P&N as one, cause it wouldn't contain all the juicy conspiracy theories.

Think of the second thread of like a venting thread perhaps with humor mixed in? I am sure we all see some stupid things, like i went on my walk this morning and as always people driving solo in their cars hitting 50mph and wearing that mask. I feel bad posting stuff like that in this thread, cause its not exactly constructive but i feel a thread like i mentioned would be perfect.

Thoughts? Anyone wanna start it off?

Nah, even when in a serious thread getting some laffs in from time to time is good.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I may go get tested again, I'm not 100% sure yet though. Yesterday there was a fire and it was very smokey outside while the wife and I were moving her furniture to a different classroom. Today, I'm feeling light-headed, and got a bit of a cough again and feeling a little winded. Also, my body just feels trashed, but it could be that I also helped my parents move stuff out of storage, and I'm on some new diabetic meds and I could just be low on sugar. I forgot my glucose meter at home so I can't check it.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Cuomo says he may delay indoor dining in NYC. Probably a good call.

Open more streets and let restaurants set up in them across the city.

Yeah, but then diners have to be worried about getting hit by random fireworks being lit up all over the city. The NYC cops don't seem to be doing a damn thing about that.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
New cases appear to be far lower than last Monday. Hopefully that's a good sign?

Let's see. Apparently some reporting issues in a couple states.

My city's public health dept has cut off testing for non-symptomatic due to capacity constraints.
Also paper goods at the local Target are back to April status...purchase limits and very little (if any) stock.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Yeah, but then diners have to be worried about getting hit by random fireworks being lit up all over the city. The NYC cops don't seem to be doing a damn thing about that.

NYPD isn't exactly making the case that they are not overpaid and underworking these days when their budget is getting targeted for cuts.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
New cases appear to be far lower than last Monday. Hopefully that's a good sign?
One day of data is almost never meaningful. There's clearly a surge in cases (won't call it a 2nd wave, because it's a first wave in many places) recently to a new national peak number. A conservative way is to pay attention to the 7 day moving average. Also, cases are reported throughout the day and it's still mid-afternoon in the West.
If you look at the past couple months of reporting, you'll find that Sunday and Monday generally had the smallest numbers (i.e. there's less reporting and testing over the weekend). Peak new cases in any given week came around Wednesday/Thursday. Last Saturday was the first time I can recall this pattern being broken, when it was the all-time record number of new confirmed cases.

To respond to your earlier post, deaths lag initial symptoms by several weeks. The good news is that the average age of cases has dropped significantly compared to April, but the bad news is you can bet fatality counts will trend upwards soon. It probably won't reach the previous peak level (which would be a disaster considering average age of cases now).