NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 370 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
South Korea becomes first country to announce second wave of corona virus:

It doesn't matter for the states. We aren't closing. WE closed for 3 months, and look at our economy. Millions unemployed. Even if we get hit with a nasty second wave expect that we will still stay open for business. Now, if Biden becomes POTUS while we are in the middle of the second wave that might change.

• Haha
Reactions: KMFJD

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
meh. 90 imported cases past week vs 48 in previous week. Remember, South Korea is one of the few countries with its borders open that you can travel to right now. Granted you have to do 14 day quarantine but most countries are not even accepting foreign travelers right now.
How did they have 90 imported cases if they are enforcing a two week quarantine with further isolation if positive?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Well after over a month of no new cases we just got a new one.

Wanna bet it's due to someone that traveled down south? Probably get a bunch of other cases now. I said it from the start they need regional travel bans or this will never get fully under control and we'll never be able to go back to normal. If it gets bad again they will shut down stuff again like camping or being able to visit family.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
It wouldn't be a "second wave" without community transmission. They just announced a second wave and then you implied it was just these 90 imported cases compared to imported cases the previous week. Something doesn't add up.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Welp, first positive test at our office. We're about 120 people (30-40 working remotely). I have enough contact with enough people (we do take precautions) that I'm going to get tested. First appointment for Walgreens drive-through is Thursday. Fun times!

• Wow
Reactions: mopardude87

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Welp, first positive test at our office. We're about 120 people (30-40 working remotely). I have enough contact with enough people (we do take precautions) that I'm going to get tested. First appointment for Walgreens drive-through is Thursday. Fun times!
Any symptoms? My understanding about the covid tests are that they can have false negatives if you take them at the wrong time or if they don't swab you good enough....just like the rapid FLU tests...they have really mixed results.

Social distance and/or quarantine as much as you can the next few days. I hope you weren't around that person much.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018

Very sorry to hear sir, hopefully the test come out good for you man :)

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Any symptoms? My understanding about the covid tests are that they can have false negatives if you take them at the wrong time or if they don't swab you good enough....just like the rapid FLU tests...they have really mixed results.

Social distance and/or quarantine as much as you can the next few days. I hope you weren't around that person much.

No symptoms. Technically can not get a referral from my doctor then. But can go do Walgreens drive-through.
I generally stick to my corner at work and certainly try to limit my contact with people but I do have to help/meet with people occasionally. Sadly, they can't release the name of who it was. We have about 1/3 of our staff that comes in maybe once a week and the rest of the time they WFH, so it's hard to try to figure out who it is.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
No symptoms. Technically can not get a referral from my doctor then. But can go do Walgreens drive-through.
I generally stick to my corner at work and certainly try to limit my contact with people but I do have to help/meet with people occasionally. Sadly, they can't release the name of who it was. We have about 1/3 of our staff that comes in maybe once a week and the rest of the time they WFH, so it's hard to try to figure out who it is.
Wonder if that person did anything particularly egregious or irresponsible to get it. Hope not.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Oxford published the data from the dexamethasone trial and it looks legit per medical twitter. Very helpful for people on vents, somewhat helpful for people on oxygen. Good news is the drug is cheap and widely available. Bodes well for finding other drugs that suppress the immune response with survival benefits.

Nov 8, 2012
Meanwhile things going to shit here in Texas, which is not a suprise to me. Lots of people acting like it's gone since Memorial Day.

Education education education.....

Wear a mask when in close quarters with others
Avoid close quarters at all times
Ensure you have a healthy immune system with proper vitamins
If you're vulnerable, avoid any contact.

Aside from that, if you're young and healthy... go for it.

It's pretty clear herd immunity is the only option at this point.

Bill Maher said it well the other night:

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Education education education.....

Wear a mask when in close quarters with others
Avoid close quarters at all times
Ensure you have a healthy immune system with proper vitamins
If you're vulnerable, avoid any contact.

Aside from that, if you're young and healthy... go for it.

It's pretty clear herd immunity is the only option at this point.

Bill Maher said it well the other night:

Thank God for that Sage advice. Vitamins FTW :rolleyes:

Reactions: TheVrolok

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
TMZ- THE WALMART 'RONA SHOPPER

Has anyone seen this video? It's on TMZ so I don't know if I'm allowed to post it. Anyway, its an old gent who is video taped pushing his way into a Walmart. The Walmart worker is trying his best to keep him out of the store. I don't know about you, but they couldn't pay me enough to interact with these idiots.
What's the story? Is he supposed to be positive for Covid?

Good luck to you.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Well after over a month of no new cases we just got a new one.

Wanna bet it's due to someone that traveled down south? Probably get a bunch of other cases now. I said it from the start they need regional travel bans or this will never get fully under control and we'll never be able to go back to normal. If it gets bad again they will shut down stuff again like camping or being able to visit family.
well everything is south for you :) , speaking of which the only place in Ontario that's not advanced to next stage of re-opening is Windsor area. Oddly enough the folks down there have had enough and state they will start opening businesses on july 1st , they had another 32 cases yesterday but it's mainly hitting the greenhouse workers in the Leamington area.

also

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Wonder if that person did anything particularly egregious or irresponsible to get it. Hope not.

Yeah it sort of sucks that they can't release a name. In the case of infectious diseases (in the middle of a pandemic) it sort of seems like the situation where HIPPA rules should be altered.

All that being said, how does this work for contact tracing etc? I assume that the individual informed our owners and that because they tested positive, that is reported to the city health department,. who I would think then would be in contact with our owners? Whose responsibility is it to handle all this in the appropriate manner?

Reactions: CZroe

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Yeah it sort of sucks that they can't release a name. In the case of infectious diseases (in the middle of a pandemic) it sort of seems like the situation where HIPPA rules should be altered.

All that being said, how does this work for contact tracing etc? I assume that the individual informed our owners and that because they tested positive, that is reported to the city health department,. who I would think then would be in contact with our owners? Whose responsibility is it to handle all this in the appropriate manner?
Well, I can see someone suing if the name got out and it negatively impacted the person due to people wrongly assuming the person did something particularly egregious or irresponsible.

I guess jumping to that thought myself only demonstrates why HIPPA is needed. ;)

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
But until then.... no one can pay rent/mortgages (10+ year highs of not paying), there are 5 new businesses filing for bankruptcy each week... and.... Everything is totally calm and cool lol

Hold together guys! We only have *flips page*... 6 more months!

The government in power has made certain decisions about fiscal policy during the crisis which have consequences.

Nov 8, 2012
The government in power has made certain decisions about fiscal policy during the crisis which have consequences.

"If I were in power I would have done better!" Where have we heard this before?

Honestly there is nothing the leaders could have done. You're talking about an economy built on trillions upon trillions of dollars - were not even 3 months into this and people are expecting to go another 6 months minimum? Yeah that's nuts.

The best thing we could have is media that isn't hell-bent on being as fearmongering as humanly possible.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
"If I were in power I would have done better!" Where have we heard this before?

Honestly there is nothing the leaders could have done. You're talking about an economy built on trillions upon trillions of dollars - were not even 3 months into this and people are expecting to go another 6 months minimum? Yeah that's nuts.

The best thing we could have is media that isn't hell-bent on being as fearmongering as humanly possible.

Many governments across the world have responded better than ours has. Saying there was nothing to be done is just an excuse for our own low standards and general laziness.

Even now it's quite clear that extensive fiscal stimulus is needed through at least the beginning of next year and the government will likely fail to provide it.