NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 301 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 10, 2005
This again.

The most harmful effects of nicotine is that it is addictive. Other than that, it's a stimulant that could be harmful if misused, but the rest of the stuff is what it generally harmful when smoking... not the nicotine. The nicotine is just what makes you keep doing it to yourself over and over.
Nicotine is more harmful than just the fact that it is addictive. Nicotine is also a vasoconstrictor - stiffens arterial walls and increases your blood pressure.

Reactions: killster1

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I think I have to side with Gilead's interpretration: if the study didn't enroll enough patients, it would be severely underpowered. There would have to be a huge benefit to see anything. Currently, it would be difficult to draw many conclusions.

I'd hazard a guess that if there is a benefit, it will be somewhat small anyway. I don't think there will be a magic bullet.

That is a good point. Jury will still probably be out until the NIH study is complete. My suspicion is that people caught very early in progression might benefit the most. Hopefully at least the antibody drugs pan out for the fall so we’re not facing another big wave without any tools besides convalescent plasma.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
The thing that's scary with this virus is that it does permanent lung damage, and now it looks like it also damages other organs such as kidneys and heart. It can cause blood clots and neurological issues too. So all those people who got it but don't know aren't exactly out of the woods. The damage might show up as health complications down the road. I wonder if contracting it multiple times also increase the damage done.

Reading the article, it sounds to me like it's not those who seem asymptomatic to have to worry about organ damage. It's the ones that were hospitalized & had more severe reaction to COVID-19.
But i guess time will tell.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Nicotine is more harmful than just the fact that it is addictive. Nicotine is also a vasoconstrictor - stiffens arterial walls and increases your blood pressure.

Yeah. That's totally why they went out of their way to say:
"We must not forget the harmful effects of nicotine," said Jerome Salomon, France's top health official.

It's a stimulant. Find me a stimulant that doesn't have minor side effects like that. You basically just described caffeine, and you definitely don't see responses like that when someone mentions the possible benefits of caffeine.

My entire point was that they are bending over backwards to act like nicotine is somehow worse than it is, just like the anti-vape people turning it into the boogieman by equating it with smoking.

No, I don't vape or smoke. Never have. I just see this willfull self-delusion all around me and had to say something.

Yeah I imagine if it is proven to work it would only really be used in extreme cases.
Why only "extreme cases" and not anyone over 18 who is aware of the addictive properties?

:colbert:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

Lysol had to push out an update in response to this lol

Improper use of Disinfectants

Due to recent speculation and social media activity, RB (the makers of Lysol and Dettol) has been asked whether internal administration of disinfectants may be appropriate for investigation or use as a treatment for coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2).

As a global leader in health and hygiene products, we must be clear that under no circumstance should our disinfectant products be administered into the human body (through injection, ingestion or any other route). As with all products, our disinfectant and hygiene products should only be used as intended and in line with usage guidelines. Please read the label and safety information.

We have a responsibility in providing consumers with access to accurate, up-to-date information as advised by leading public health experts. For this and other myth-busting facts, please visit Covid-19facts.com.

For more information on our response to COVID-19, visit this link: Coronavirus information

Reactions: purbeast0

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Nov 8, 2012
Some good news

Too late suckers! Thanks to POTUS I found my cure

1587736991989.png

• Haha
Reactions: killster1 and Kaido

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The Abbott Labs IgG antibody tests are now available through Quest Diagnostics. Our doctor is going to order them for us and we'll hit one of their centers for the blood draw. University of Washington Virology independently verified the manufacturer claim of 100% sensitivity and 99.5% specificity.

• Wow
Reactions: Kaido

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Did anyone else NOT get their stimulus direct deposit payment from the IRS yet? I entered my bank account info a week ago, and my status hasn't changed since then.

Nov 8, 2012
Did anyone else NOT get their stimulus direct deposit payment from the IRS yet? I entered my bank account info a week ago, and my status hasn't changed since then.

I gave my direct deposit info immediately as soon as that site was up practically and my message hasn't changed. Get the whole "Yeah, you're eligible, but we have no clue when we will send it" BS.

I suspect that they needed my direct deposit since I owed when I filed my 2019 return.

1587747296919.png

I remember reading that they give mailed checks priority based on who has the least amount of income (e.g. those reporting under 20,000$ income get mailed first)... Maybe that's the same with the direct deposit? I dunno. Also my payment isn't a straight-shot $1200, I'm in the "phase out" territory and also married with dependents to account for.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I gave my direct deposit info immediately as soon as that site was up practically and my message hasn't changed. Get the whole "Yeah, you're eligible, but we have no clue when we will send it" BS.

I suspect that they needed my direct deposit since I owed when I filed my 2019 return.

View attachment 20087

I remember reading that they give mailed checks priority based on who has the least amount of income (e.g. those reporting under 20,000$ income get mailed first)... Maybe that's the same with the direct deposit? I dunno. Also my payment isn't a straight-shot $1200, I'm in the "phase out" territory and also married with dependents to account for.

Yeah, I'm getting the same status. I guess that I shouldn't expect anything until June.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
94504790_4338758209471399_1636075728787210240_n.jpg