NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 270 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 8, 2012
Folks - there is a certain reason why "journalism" is starting to be more heavily scrutinized in a time where we elect people like our current administration (that news media dedicated countless hours to covering).

We're in a pandemic crisis and we're seriously scrutinizing and asking questions about how the surgeon general referred to safety standards? Or what we call the virus? Or some supposed internal joke of what someone in the administration called it but can't name whom supposedly said it (Kung Flu)?

Journalism has really sunken to total complete lows. I used to have an ounce of respect for PBS, but now they have gone full blown stupid too. I'm sorry but journalism needs some kind of certification - whereby similar to things like Bar association for lawyers that the certification can be revoked because these people shouldn't have an ability to ask such dumb questions while in the media spotlight. Keep stupid childish shit like that for an Infowars equivalent site.

Surgeon General Jerome Adams has been met with outrage by the black community for using phrases like 'abuela', 'big momma' and 'poppop', while pleading for minorities to not drink or smoke and follow the government's guidelines to slow the spread of the coronavirus .

'We need you to do this if not for yourself than for your abuela. Do it for your granddaddy, do it for your big momma, do it for your poppop,' the nation's top doctor said Friday at the daily coronavirus taskforce briefing - while also advising those groups to 'avoid alcohol, tobacco and drugs.'

Adams told Americans of color that they need to 'step up' to stop the spread of coronavirus, and said 'social ills' are likely a contributing factor when looking at the dire statistics that the outbreak has killed twice as many black and Latino people than white Americans. Now members of the black community are calling out the Surgeon General for 'pandering' to them with his use of slang and also for his 'offensive' instruction that those specific communities to stop drinking and smoking during this pandemic.

Adams was met with immediate push back for his comments later in the briefing when PBS NewsHour's Yamiche Alcindor asked him to respond to those who might have been offended by his colloquialisms.

'We need targeted outreach to the African-American community and I used the language that is used in my family,' Adams said. 'I have a Puerto Rican brother-in-law, I call my granddaddy "granddaddy" I have relatives who call their grandparents big momma.'

'That was not meant to be offensive,' he added. 'That's the language that we use and I use and we need to continue to target our outreach to those communities.'

1586622915907.png
PBS NewsHour's Yamiche Alcindor asked Adams to respond to those who might have been offended by his colloquialisms during the briefing

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Folks - there is a certain reason why "journalism" is starting to be more heavily scrutinized in a time where we elect people like our current administration (that news media dedicated countless hours to covering).

We're in a pandemic crisis and we're seriously scrutinizing and asking questions about how the surgeon general referred to safety standards? Or what we call the virus? Or some supposed internal joke of what someone in the administration called it but can't name whom supposedly said it (Kung Flu)?

Journalism has really sunken to total complete lows. I used to have an ounce of respect for PBS, but now they have gone full blown stupid too. I'm sorry but journalism needs some kind of certification - whereby similar to things like Bar association for lawyers that the certification can be revoked because these people shouldn't have an ability to ask such dumb questions while in the media spotlight. Keep stupid childish shit like that for an Infowars equivalent site.

Some guy, I think an NY Post reporter, asked Trump if he was going to pardon the guy from Tiger King yesterday. Disregard the irrelevant.

Also LOL at the idea Bar associations keep shitty and dumb lawyers out of the game.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Well this is the first time I see a new measure I don't agree with. They've essentially banned camping. How is camping putting people at risk? You're much safer in the bush. I don't know how easily enforceable this will be though. I know if I had a cottage or off grid property that's exactly where I would be right now.

Nov 8, 2012
Some guy, I think an NY Post reporter, asked Trump if he was going to pardon the guy from Tiger King yesterday. Disregard the irrelevant.

Also LOL at the idea Bar associations keep shitty and dumb lawyers out of the game.

I'm not disregarding it as irrelevant, throw him out as well and any others asking fucking dumb questions. If anything you're supporting my statement.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

Now that journalism success is measured by the number of clicks, honest reporting won't be coming back anytime soon...

Reactions: gill77

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'm not disregarding it as irrelevant, throw him out as well and any others asking fucking dumb questions. If anything you're supporting my statement.

She didn't ask a dumb question. She interpreted an answer as potentially problematic. I mean the whole kerfuffle is irrelevant and just distracts from the ah already limited factual content the government is presenting.

These pressers provide pretty limited utility (outside the actual experts like Fauci and Brix) as to actually informing the public IMO anyway. They're mostly just substitute Trump rallies.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Image may contain: 1 person

so much winning
your problem is the glove in his mouth? i mean they say you cant get it from eating infected food so i assume eatingh your glove with the virus on it is OK. if not then dont eat out at any restaurants or recook the food when it gets home. mopar87 really cares what kind of beer the guy is drinking? so opinionated! they must drink the kind he likes or face his wrath.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
your problem is the glove in his mouth? i mean they say you cant get it from eating infected food so i assume eatingh your glove with the virus on it is OK. if not then dont eat out at any restaurants or recook the food when it gets home. mopar87 really cares what kind of beer the guy is drinking? so opinionated! they must drink the kind he likes or face his wrath.

Looks like i made a new friend, a fellow Californian yay we should meet up for a picnic buddy when this blows over. Yeah sure i can have a opinion, they are like assholes everyone has one. Between nasty ass beer or cases of water, he should have went for the water. Having had drank that beer before, it takes quite a few for them to kick in . I had neighbors damn wife calling me and friend to help her husband finish off 30 packs of that stuff cause if we didn't help well he would drink himself to death. He did this for weeks.

Seen people i know drink and hurt others, been victim to it myself going back to when i was 5 years old so oh yes i got some issues with it. That and well i prefer indica. Anyone who has not tried this will prob quit drinking and stick to this if they have a chance of getting it legally. There is no substitute. Rarely i drink, its a hot day after i do the yard or i need something like whiskey for severe pain perhaps on a tooth.

I would advocate more people to not drink, purely cause i think Indica/Sativa is better overall. I can't express this enough, its a cure all and SO much better. Never seen a angry stoner YET, i seen plenty of idiotic drinkers trust and believe.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Looks like i made a new friend, a fellow Californian yay we should meet up for a picnic buddy when this blows over. Yeah sure i can have a opinion, they are like assholes everyone has one. Between nasty ass beer or cases of water, he should have went for the water. Having had drank that beer before, it takes quite a few for them to kick in . I had neighbors damn wife calling me and friend to help her husband finish off 30 packs of that stuff cause if we didn't help well he would drink himself to death. He did this for weeks.

Seen people i know drink and hurt others, been victim to it myself going back to when i was 5 years old so oh yes i got some issues with it. That and well i prefer indica. Anyone who has not tried this will prob quit drinking and stick to this if they have a chance of getting it legally. There is no substitute. Rarely i drink, its a hot day after i do the yard or i need something like whiskey for severe pain perhaps on a tooth.

I would advocate more people to not drink, purely cause i think Indica/Sativa is better overall. I can't express this enough, its a cure all and SO much better. Never seen a angry stoner YET, i seen plenty of idiotic drinkers trust and believe.
i bet you would disapprove of the twisted tea i like to drink too :p but who cares let people do their own things and worry about the things you can change. SMoking aint very smart, surely you will get lung cancer gum cancer throat cancer eventually. i used to smoke but i havnt in almost 1 whole year haaaaaaa. my problem would be i would want to do it all the time. wonder if you want to meet up for a picnic or a fight. both sound fun

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Well this is the first time I see a new measure I don't agree with. They've essentially banned camping. How is camping putting people at risk? You're much safer in the bush. I don't know how easily enforceable this will be though. I know if I had a cottage or off grid property that's exactly where I would be right now.

I think the problem with camping is people are coming from out of the area and camping. You can see how this could be a problem if one of them is sick and goes into a business or bathroom. I kind of feel for some of them though because there are people who travel full time.

Also if you're from out of state you have to quarantine in place for 14 days and you can only camp in one spot for 14 days. This way they can keep track of where they are in theory. They can't really force anyone though.

Last edited:
Reactions: killster1

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
i bet you would disapprove of the twisted tea i like to drink too :p but who cares let people do their own things and worry about the things you can change. SMoking aint very smart wonder if you want to meet up for a picnic or a fight. both sound fun

I like the twisted tea and mikes actually, only issue i had with it was that since it was malt i always had horrible hang overs and headaches as well as heartburn. As for the Indica, i always have it in edible form. It takes longer to kick in but something like a 130mg Hubby Bar for $10 gets me WAY further then any $10 6-12 pack of beer would. Also indica helps with many issues i have, drinking not so much. If anything it makes things like my insomnia much worst.

The joke about the picnic was as such, a joke. Perhaps we could meet up at a Dave and Busters or something in the future, share a cold one. I admire my fans, your my number 1 i think right now. Well you may have to stand in line behind the ex wife, she gets the first spot then its you.

• Haha
Reactions: killster1

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I think the problem with camping is people are coming from out of the area and camping. You can see how this could be a problem if one of them is sick and goes into a business or bathroom. I kind of feel for some of them though because there are people who travel full time.

Also if you're from out of state you have to quarantine in place for 14 days and you can only camp in one spot for 14 days. This way they can keep track of where they are in theory. They can't really force anyone though.

Most people just have a camping spot or cottage that is not far from home though. For people traveling from out of town then yeah, that's already not advised anyway no matter what the reasoning is.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Most people just have a camping spot or cottage that is not far from home though. For people traveling from out of town then yeah, that's already not advised anyway no matter what the reasoning is.
wow you do camping surveys and know where "most" people are from? around here you must drive through parks that are closed to get to camp grounds. no one lives in a national forest. and campgrounds never have big bathrooms for social distancing. im not saying it cant be done specially if you have RV with a toliet inside / shower. but campgrounds usually are dirty places that have small showers / small toliets / outhouses etc. they also have small trails that people would be forced to walk next to others from who knows where.

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016
Red Squirrel lives in the Canadian wilderness where no man was ever meant to live. Camping spots are a matter of just taking a few steps outside your front door for most.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Red Squirrel lives in the Canadian wilderness where no man was ever meant to live. Camping spots are a matter of just taking a few steps outside your front door for most.

Reminds me of the spot i lived out in southern Arkansas closer to Hot Springs, i lived up on a hill in this duplex sorta deal and i had nothing but pine trees when i would sit outside. The smell and the constant sightings of squirrels sure was nice. I kinda miss the place. The view and price i paid for it was out of this world i think.

Not much outdoorsy here in California, i miss fishing a bunch. Meh maybe i could see about Big Bear if this blows over, i never been there but i hear things. :)

Jul 17, 2011
China paid for it to quell Hong Kong and Harvard Professor charles Lieber built designed created it!

Attachments

• 86801589_3126399470704044_2224595615386435584_n.jpg
    86801589_3126399470704044_2224595615386435584_n.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 86733941_3126399474037377_6687763240971141120_n.jpg
    86733941_3126399474037377_6687763240971141120_n.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 26

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

More like the opposite. Humans were never meant to live in concrete jungles. You could not pay me enough to live in a big city.

Reactions: pcgeek11

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Our freaking churches are having drive-in type of services and one encouraged people to decorate their cars and drive around town honking their horns and waving to people for good friday. Nothing like gathering up your familiy in a small space to sit for a long time to spread infection. Fucking idiots should be sued.

Not only that they are doing phone calls to members and using social networking to their full advantage. Gotta keep that money coming in somehow even though many people are hurting.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My church just has people recording messages and putting them on the site, and the odd Zoom session... I refuse to install that spyware on any of my devices though so have not been to any of those streams.

As a side note was curious to see air traffic in my area, and I guess it's pretty quiet at least on the ADSB end of things. That warning only really comes on when it has not seen flights for a while.

Oddly enough as I posted this there are 3 flights now. Quite a lot of international traffic gets picked up by it actually.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002

What's considered "Crown land"? Anything not privately owned? Or is it basically Provincial Parks?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Good article:

Unfortunately, most Americans crave the gas lighting. They are like Snow White sitting on Pinocchio's face saying "Lie to me Pinocchio, lie to me!"

We will go straight back to irresponsible, unchecked, consumerism and tourism. We will rationalize that grandma and grandpa, had lived rich full lives before the 'rona took 'em. Oh yeah, we will line up to drink the Starbucks kool-aid they are handing out. Never mind how all those people will pay the rent that is piling up on them. Or how we are going to pay for yet another yuge stimulus package. Or how unnecessary driving creates more pollution and drives up fuel prices due to demand. Or how "The best medical care in the world" falls right the fuck apart when real pressure is put on it.

Every argument against nationalized health care, a better social safety net, affordable housing, and responsible, regulated, business practices, has just been laid bare for the nonsense it really is. But, the mantras will start right back up again, if they ever really stopped for any of the chanters.

Reactions: destrekor

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
You seem to be attached to a desired conclusion that you refuse to let go of, despite not having evidence for it, and in fact having evidence that contradicts it. Hence your tendency to slip back-and-forth from absolute numbers (meaningless) to per-capita ones. Then you say weasel-worded things like "It's still fair to say that the US may be on top".

The evidence is that the US is way behind on total testing numbers, but is competitive, probably in the middle of the pack somewhere among the wealthier countries, on daily per-capita tests, now. That may be good-enough, as it's not a sporting competition. What matters is having a thought-out strategy for minimising the devastation caused by the virus.

Why do you have such a need for the US to be Number One, that you wriggle around avoiding admitting the evidence doesn't support that?
To close this conversation for now, Germany is reported to be conducting 100k tests per day. For the U.S. to be equal to their per capita testing, we would need to be doing about 400k tests per day. We aren't nearly there yet and anyone who's been saying U.S. is leading the world in Covid-19 testing is offering an opinion unsupported by the data.

A simple rule of thumb also suffices. If POTUS is saying it at his daily presser, then it's probably not true. :p