NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 262 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

The US outbreak will likely never be tamped down as long as stupid people keep doing stupid things.

The places that do start loosening up once progress is made will have to worry about imported cases across state lines because of this kind of enormously irresponsible behavior. I would not be surprised to see some dramatic restrictions put into place by those same states if you want to come in.

Nov 8, 2012
I am really getting sick of the dumb fucks that think exceptions apply for religious purposes.

Go do your circle-jerk dancing, book reading rituals all you want. No one is preventing you from freely having your religion.

Where in our founding documents did it say thou shalt have freedom of religion... and the ability to gather with others of your religion at any time?

• Haha
Reactions: ponyo

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Where in our founding documents did it say thou shalt have freedom of religion... and the ability to gather with others of your religion at any time?

Umm... not for nothing, but it's kinda the First Amendment to the Constitution.

That said, the government does make laws that restrict freedom of speech, religion, etc. and this is certainly an occasion where that is justified.

Reactions: ponyo

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
But even if they hadn't fully recovered (and that's a leap to say that those specifically being closely looked at in such a study might still be infected, and nobody noticed) surely they should have antibodies?
Not if they were still very ill and had their status changed to "recovered" just so the government could fudge numbers. That is the scenario which was alleged.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Yet another reason not to live in NJ. As if I needed another one.
The mask requirement is very reasonable. America's aversion to masks makes us a laughing stock to South Koreans. Korean doctors say it's common sense that almost any mask is better than nothing. However, many also believe you can die of hypothermia by leaving an electric fan running while you sleep and the government mandates automatic shut-off.

Reactions: killster1

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The mask requirement is very reasonable. America's aversion to masks makes us a laughing stock to South Koreans. Korean doctors say it's common sense that almost any mask is better than nothing. However, many also believe you can die of hypothermia by leaving an electric fan running while you sleep and the government mandates automatic shut-off.

Every time I read a story about how South Korea is handling this event I am overcome with the most insane jealousy that I've ever experienced.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
^^ You don't believe in the Constitution, do you?

I believe in the fact that you can do what you want. As long as it doesn't jeapordize my health or life.

*Would it be fine to drink and drive?
* What about smoking in your presence?
*What if I blew smoke in your face. Would that be perfectly fine?

Just because you can't see something it doesn't mean it's not a threat. You should watch the documentary on the Spanish flu, and what happened in Philly.

Reactions: Muse

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012

I taught in South Korea. Many of my students wore masks. It's actually quite fashinable in Asia.

Same with fake braces in Thailand. All of the girls there had braces, and I had no idea why. It's actually shows that you have money since braces are expensive, and it's fashionable as well. And can be deadly. Sadly. :(

Nov 17, 2019

That said, the government does make laws that restrict freedom of speech, religion, etc. and this is certainly an occasion where that is justified.

As well as that 'assembly' thing, though those in favor of denying civil rights will debate the meaning of the term.

America's aversion to masks makes us a laughing stock to South Koreans
SKers being packed in to a tiny region like sardines is a laughing stock to me.

Nov 8, 2012

I'm specifically referring to the 2nd portion of my statement.... Yes, I understand you have a freedom to believe in whatever flying spaghetti monster you want.

That doesn't mean you have the right to gather wherever you want, whenever you want, with whomever you want.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
"South Korea is one of the planet's most densely populated countries with a density of 503 people per square kilometer, or 1,302 people per square mile."

Where I live, there's about 3 people per square mile and that's 2 too many.

Last I checked they were managing the virus extremely well. How are they doing so with a density like that?

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Apparently their government can kill people in the streets that don't obey.

South Korea?

Different constitution.
Different laws.
Different society.
Different culture.

Still density is density. No I don't know anything about South Korean life.

The current density of Seoul is almost twice that of New York City.

South Korea is facing a low birth rate and a rapidly aging population. By 2018, 14%of its population will be over 65, making it officially an aged society.

Reactions: Ichinisan

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I am really getting sick of the dumb fucks that think exceptions apply for religious purposes.

Go do your circle-jerk dancing, book reading rituals all you want. No one is preventing you from freely having your religion.

As a Christian I agree. Our church did the right thing and cancelled all services. (I don't think it was mandated at the time) You can have faith in God but he is not going to protect you from your own stupidity.

What I hate is that now that churches legally can't operate, they of course have an exception for mosques. They always do that for them. No, the rules should apply to EVERYONE.

Reactions: Muse

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Sure I don't recommend going to a hole-in-the-wall place...

The point being is that paying an extra $3 for Shell/Exxon/GroceryStore is not any different from Costco Gas...besides waiting in lines heh.
i like how you didnt reply my post, well the extra 3$ is the price of shit gas, if you add another 3 then its exxon. so its actually 6$+ saved by going to costco. to top it off shell has been notoriously failing for shorting people on gas and other violations at the pump. (i used to ask the guy testing the pumps which stations to stay away from)

I just got my bill from State Farm and it went up, as usual.
thats weird of course i dont have a great name insurance like state farm but my insurance goes down every year even with tickets every year ;P of course you like paying extra so i guess its not a big deal, i pay by the year so maybe you could get a better discount if you did the same.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Yet another reason not to live in NJ. As if I needed another one.
you have a problem with people wearing masks or others wanting you to wear one? its for everyone's good what is the fight about it. i still see people saying "i dont like masks" or "how do you breath with two masks let alone one" haaaaaaaaaaa the same way i breath with out a mask.

As a Christian I agree. Our church did the right thing and cancelled all services. (I don't think it was mandated at the time) You can have faith in God but he is not going to protect you from your own stupidity.

What I hate is that now that churches legally can't operate, they of course have an exception for mosques. They always do that for them. No, the rules should apply to EVERYONE.
www.cnbc.com/2020/04/02/coronavirus-churches-can-stay-open-in-states-with-especially-vulnerable-populations.html+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us