NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 261 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Prob paid a extortion price but thought it was good insurance to pick up a 2 pair of kn95 masks, one for me IF i find myself going to a packed store like Walmart in May and one for my friend who finds herself in dr offices and stuff often due to her COPD. Wearing them in a car like i seen people do is stupid, practice social distancing and the mask seriously should only be worn in crowds of more then 10. I mean i live in a spot last known for 230 cases and well i keep my distance. Not wearing mine till a dire situation really calls for it. Heck i was practicing social distancing BEFORE it became a thing....i already knew all the facts weren't out.

Anyone got any experience with KN95 mask and at home washing procedures? I hear hot water is good obviously but would bleach or something be to harsh on the 4 layers? It' s still sealed so not gonna open it till a good time arises. Hopefully i never find myself using it but when i do i wanna know the facts. With luck maybe i could use this thing 3 times once per month? When i shop its a one time good for month situation.

Edit: walmart just allows people in now again, no more lines like i saw a few days ago, the mask WILL be a good idea then.
place above boiling water for 10 mins and or in the oven at 158F for 30 mins. Even tho your sick in the brain, ill share that info with you.

I have accepted the fact that tons of people really suck at the worlds biggest game of" Simon Says". I heard about the church in LA and well i almost hoped one of those people would get it. Gonna make that big of a decision cause of your faith? FUCK i hope god has a extra respirator when one of those people catch it cause i hope no one with a pea sized brain gives someone that wreckless one . To few going around as is.
wow cool you hope people get the virus on par with your other idiotic posts about almost fucking each other in line at walmart etc etc. wonder whats wrong with your brain that you have to think like you do.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
lol as someone that has worked in the O&G industry, the concept of "shitty gas" makes me fall on the floor laughing.

E10 is E10. It's 10% ethanol, 90% gasoline. The only SLIGHT potential difference is with additives - and the majority of places do the same stuff these days.

But hey - people wouldn't get paid big bucks for Marketing if it didn't fool some people....
well i dont give a shit where you work i have seen owners of gas stations adding things to the gas, i have seen trucks that run on high octane fail after pumping from shitty gas stations, i have seen the amount of miles you get from a full tank from costco vs a full tank from shit gas station. mr O&G industry.. i have also see the fuel filter full of crickets after pumping from shitty gas stations. how do you explain that? ;) guess all gas is the same tho right..

Reactions: nakedfrog

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Yeah, but that article is about clinical studies of people post-infection, showing the immune response was not as good/lasting as one might hope. I've no clue how to judge such things though. One paper does not constitue a definitive finding, clearly.
I'm saying "post-infection" would be incorrect when someone was incorrectly reported as "recovered" while they were actually still ill.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
It's already hard enough to breathe with an N95 mask on and gets uncomfortably hot after a bit. I couldn't imagine covering it with a bandana.
i wear a n95 with surgical mask over it everyday for 14 hours a day :) its fine you get used to it. why would you not cover the n95, if it has virus on it you should not wear it again, but you can always get a new surgical mask for the outside to help lengthen the use from them.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
It may slightly protect others from your cough but it's certainly not doing you any good wearing an infected mask.
That's not the point. It wouldn't do you any good to wear the infection directly on your skin with no mask. Go out only when you need to. When you need to go out, wear a mask.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I dont particularly care about the divident situation, moreso my future employment situation lol

You aren't the only one. I just don't like to see these bailout bills filled with obvious over-reach.

lol as someone that has worked in the O&G industry, the concept of "shitty gas" makes me fall on the floor laughing.

E10 is E10. It's 10% ethanol, 90% gasoline. The only SLIGHT potential difference is with additives - and the majority of places do the same stuff these days.

But hey - people wouldn't get paid big bucks for Marketing if it didn't fool some people....

Some stations are still notorious for water contamination in their gas.

Nov 8, 2012
Some stations are still notorious for water contamination in their gas.
Sure I don't recommend going to a hole-in-the-wall place...

The point being is that paying an extra $3 for Shell/Exxon/GroceryStore is not any different from Costco Gas...besides waiting in lines heh.

Nov 8, 2012
Heh, remember the nurse that was bawwing out on Instagram video saying they wouldn't let her wear an N95 mask?

Turns out to have been total bullshit and she is an absolute crazy nutjob. Whoduhthunkit?

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016
Heh, remember the nurse that was bawwing out on Instagram video saying they wouldn't let her wear an N95 mask?

Turns out to have been total bullshit and she is an absolute crazy nutjob. Whoduhthunkit?

I assumed it was bullshit the moment i saw the video.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Are kn95 masks ok to use? Might order some today.
There are a few companies warning against buying from some manufacturers. In many cases, the world demand for masks has already spawned companies that don't know how to make them and use the wrong materials. It would be just as effective as wearing a cotton mask if you get the wrong one or it fails to fit properly. If you can find any reviews on the products you order, do so...if you don't need masks for real, leave them out there for health care providers.

I'm content with a surgical mask on my face and gloves for grocery shopping.

Reactions: thestrangebrew1

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Not sure if this was mentioned, but car insurance companies like Allstate, Geico, Liberty Mutual and Esurance are giving 15% back for 2 months (or more).

Dec 10, 2005
This is one of the big reasons to rush forward with finding and developing effective drug therapies in an organized way. The length of immunity is a major unknown right now. Could be a few months or could be years.
Yep. One of the problems with earlier coronavirii is rapidly waning immunity.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I'm saying "post-infection" would be incorrect when someone was incorrectly reported as "recovered" while they were actually still ill.

But even if they hadn't fully recovered (and that's a leap to say that those specifically being closely looked at in such a study might still be infected, and nobody noticed) surely they should have antibodies?
The gist of that finding seemed to be that they had unexpectedly low levels of antibodies or even none at all. That seems strange, _even_ if you argue they haven't fully cleared the virus from their system.

Anyway, it's probably impossible for a layperson to work out what any of this means, least of all in the middle of it all. Feels like blundering around in a thick fog, with the knowledge there's something nasty in it somewhere. Even the professionals probably won't be able to say till a lot more time has passed.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
No.

Even body armor can make you heavier and slower and more likely to get shot. If the mask is dirty and not properly cleaned it could potentially infect you more than not having a mask at all.
You could have a mask for every day of the week and rotate. Prevailing expertise is that the virus will not survive for 7 days at room temperatures. Proper handling followed by hand washing is advisable.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
... it's certainly not doing you any good wearing an infected mask.

Sure it is.

The mask got "infected" instead of you. That's half the point. Even if you carelessly touch it when taking it off, you still have the opportunity to wash your hands before contaminating yourself. Even if you don't wash your hands and you plunge your finger right into your nose, you reduced the viral load which reduces your chance of infection and can mean a more mild infection if you do get it.

If you can't disinfect them then use sparingly and rotate them. Steaming them is a good idea. UV-C is even better. Regardless, a used mask will not remain infectious forever.

If you haven't used that mask in 3 days and you weren't using it around confirmed cases then it'd be almost criminally stupid to throw it away and go out with no protection.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'm thinking you could probably use the oven to speed up disinfection too. I don't know if full heat required to kill the virus would be too much, but even if you put it at like 50C or something then set it aside. Probably have a decent chance at making sure it's safe by the time you go to use it.

I'm sure at some point we'll see more studies on various ways to disinfect them as hospitals are going to be forced to do it.

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016
Hospitals will send their masks out to specialty companies that have expensive decontamination equipment. Not many hospitals will try decontamination in-house.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Seems they have stock photos for every situation.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Here is how much the Airlines are bleeding cash per DAY from the virus - Delta = $60 million in cash a day. United = $100 million a day. JetBlue = $10 million a day.The big 4 stocks are down from 43% to 74%. And tough days are still ahead.

DAL_LUV_UAL_AAL_chart-ff812542cd054a34a1298dd8f1219d80.png

Last edited: