NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 255 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
"I had a little bird whose name was enza
I open up the window and in-flu-enza"

Children's nursery rhyme during the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic. Nursery rhymes back then we're very dark. Maybe it was because there were so much death?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
gif deleted

Hey, Boba Fett isn't a Sith! He's a proud Mandalorian. He just hates Jedi, that's all. That mask is also a face shield. Don't think his has a respirator element, though I could be wrong.

First world countries seem to take care of their own...

Didn't work for Italy. Seems to be going right into the toilet in the UK as well. We'll see how the rest of the socialized medicine countries manage.

1. Leadership requires clear communication & a single path forward, right or wrong.

Good luck with that. Clear communication and single paths forward haven't happened in awhile. What was the last American President that gave you that? Reagan?

It's not like Trump was going to step in front of a podium, admit that he didn't know what was going on (he didn't), and then say he was going to defer to medical experts moving forward as more information became available. And it was made 100x worse by China essentially lying to (and through) the WHO. If THEY had provided "clear communication and a single path forward" back in December, we wouldn't be in this mess.

It's such a stupid system. Stores pay the newspaper to layout, print, distribute those things. The post office delivers them (actually where I am the paper carrier throws them in my yard). I go out, pick them up, remove the rubber band, and throw them in the recycling bin unread. It would be more efficient if the stores paid some loggers to go throw some trees in the landfill.

It's advertising. Someday it'll all be digital. They do it because it makes them money. Whether or not the companies running ads actually profit is questionable. I think there are some local papers that oversell their ad exposure rates to keep pages filled. Without it, they'd go out of business, and the papers would fold. If you like having a daily paper, that's what they go through to stay in business. Otherwise they'd have to charge a lot more per issue to keep operating.

Nursery rhymes back then we're very dark. Maybe it was because there were so much death?

Ashes, ashes, we all fall down.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I've visited lot of countries. For all our many faults, USA is still the greatest country and envy of the world. It's beyond retarded to think it's 3rd class country. You're damn lucky you were born here. In many other countries, you would probably be already dead. It pisses me off when people don't appreciate what they have and don't know how freaking lucky to have been born in this great country. You won the fucking sperm lottery. Billions of people on earth would trade places with you in an instant if given the chance.

You don't travel much outside your bubble, do you? If you do, you wouldn't make that statement. I have been to numerous countries around the world. From rich to poor and in between.

How poor you say? How about day labors make about $2 USD per day if they are lucky. They work every much everyday...ie. if they don't work, they don't eat. No unemployment benefit, no health insurance, no thing but back breaking work from dawn to dust.

That's why I shake my head whenever I see individuals in the US whine and bitch about anything and everything under the sun and blame their situations on <insert so many pathetic excuses here>. Ungrateful bastards.

If the US is so bad, why there are million and million of people are waiting in line for years to get here the legal way and millions and millions of others are trying to sneak in/overstay ILLEGALLY?
Plus for all the countries you want to idolize, they don't have any "open borders" policies little buddy.

Yet for some reason folks here think that should be the case?

Regardless, it's a known fact (to anyone that cares of facts) that the US allows more immigration than any other developed country.
Oh, OK. I guess I kinda forgot. TBH, I grew up thinking and feeling that I was super lucky to have been born in the greatest country in the world. And in the best time to be born here (after the real shitty times). How could I forget? Hell, they made us say the Pledge of Allegiance every single day in grammar school. We sang God Bless America! Guess it's time to refresh my memory...

This notion of America being or having been a great nation has had me wondering:

Last edited:

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Didn't work for Italy. Seems to be going right into the toilet in the UK as well. We'll see how the rest of the socialized medicine countries manage.
you're kidding right? and i wasn't just talking about medicine/medical help

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I agree with the cancer doctor. Covid-19 is going to be with us for the long haul. 18 months at least. Until we can find some type of cure. So, to sugar coat this event and tell everyone that it's going to be fine is a bad approach. Life as we know it will drastically change so we must adapt.

Reactions: Muse

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I've got some no brand "dust masks" (not respirators) I found in my garage, unopened. You guys think these are better or worse than a pleated home made cloth mask?

I also have a respirator with p100 filters, but only one set of filters, they're a couple years old and I used them for doing bondo twice. Wife refuses to wear that one, it is pretty ridiculous.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
It's such a stupid system. Stores pay the newspaper to layout, print, distribute those things. The post office delivers them (actually where I am the paper carrier throws them in my yard). I go out, pick them up, remove the rubber band, and throw them in the recycling bin unread. It would be more efficient if the stores paid some loggers to go throw some trees in the landfill.

It is an antiquated system. We will have to wait for the boomers to pass away for any meaningful changes to occur. How many young people under 40 still read the newspaper? In my area, the only people who read the newspaper are old people.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
OK, so the USA is already testing around 125,000 people a day and we are just rolling out rapid testing centers in multiple cities now (just opened one at Georgia Tech in Atlanta) where you can get results in as little as 5-15 minutes. Anyone who still thinks the USA is lagging behind the world when it comes to testing is misinformed with outdated information. We are still behind several countries when it comes to per-capita testing but we are almost there.

5429c2851db7012a39a84d495c6effab.jpg

About 1 in 4 tested are positive.

I'm not saying our huge number of daily confirmed cases outpacing the world is a good thing (of course it isn't) but it does reflect a huge increase in testing and better visibility than the vast majority of the world. If we account for this testing imbalance and population size the US isn't nearly as bad as, say, Italy with a quarter of our population.

Increased visibility through means more scary totals, but look at Iceland and Luxembourg:
e87bae78d8779bc2f5333ad0a63021e5.jpg

In reality they don't seem to be doing too bad but they top the chart for total confirmed cases per million population. That's because their small populations made it easier to test a higher percentage so it looks scary until we realize that most countries will look this bad or worse as their testing catches up.

Just trying to add perspective since people still seem to think our testing/visibility hasn't been progressing much. Indeed, it's progressing so much that the visibility it brings makes things even more scary until you think about it.

I always figure those are contractual. I see plenty of advertisements that just don't make sense right now...

I suddenly started getting Cold-Eeze ads yesterday when they are selling better than ever after the leaked email from the world's leading expert on Coronaviruses... and it didn't mention anything about that. Of course, it isn't surprising that they didn't mention it (can't advertise unproven claims) but it is surprising that they are bothering to advertise at all when their product is flying off the shelf and out of stock almost everywhere.

Ashes, ashes, we all fall down.
Yeah, I was going to mention that Ring Around the Rosie is about the Bubonic Plague/Black Death too but I decided to look it up first:

Seems that's a modern retcon.

...I'd rather sing about chopping the rails off visually impaired rodents anyway. ;)

Reactions: highland145

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I've got some no brand "dust masks" (not respirators) I found in my garage, unopened. You guys think these are better or worse than a pleated home made cloth mask?

I also have a respirator with p100 filters, but only one set of filters, they're a couple years old and I used them for doing bondo twice. Wife refuses to wear that one, it is pretty ridiculous.

The P100 is excellent but, yeah, a little extreme-looking. ;)

Most contractor dust masks are N95. Even if they aren't, they should be better than nothing and are likely better than home-made as long as you can get a good seal.

Reactions: killster1
Nov 8, 2012

I often do wonder who actually looks at the ads to determine anything?

I mean, you go to the grocery store regardless on a regular basis for your typical weekly or bi-weekly food/supplies.

If you want some fuckin' strawberries that are on sale you look at the strawberries and see if they are a reasonable price.

I also doubt anyone looks at those ads to determine which grocery store they want to go to...

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I also doubt anyone looks at those ads to determine which grocery store they want to go to...
You are 1000% wrong about that. You have to remember how stupid people are. I mean people will wait in line at Costco for 45 minutes to save $3 in gas. Many people don't get that time = money.

Reactions: Ichinisan

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I often do wonder who actually looks at the ads to determine anything?

I mean, you go to the grocery store regardless on a regular basis for your typical weekly or bi-weekly food/supplies.

If you want some fuckin' strawberries that are on sale you look at the strawberries and see if they are a reasonable price.

They do use them for price-matching, I've seen it a number of times.

Nov 8, 2012
They do use them for price-matching, I've seen it a number of times.

I've only ever seen that where pieces of shit go.... Walmart... One by one at the cashier saying to price match this....this.....this...this.....this....this... one by one.

I've never seen price-matching at any normal grocery stores.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I've only ever seen that where pieces of shit go.... Walmart... One by one at the cashier saying to price match this....this.....this...this.....this....this... one by one.

I've never seen price-matching at any normal grocery stores.
Good for you, I guess?

Also, by extension, you must also be a piece of shit, because you've gone to Walmart and seen it ;)

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

I would wear the no brand mask over homemade cloth mask. I also have p100 mask at home leftover from various painting projects. But I'm not wearing that because I have N95 masks I can wear in public which won't draw so much attention. But even with N95 masks, you have to worry about fit and seal. I have both Home Depot brand HDX N95 as well as 3M N95 masks. The 3M ones are so much better and seals perfect. The HDX brand leaks little around my face and no matter how much I adjust, I can't get perfect seal and it still leaks. So I stopped wearing it. So you get what you pay for, and I now know why 3M brand masks are so coveted and considered gold standard.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I think this quarantine is starting to make some people crazy. Went for a quick walk around the block on my break and this woman outside of a house (not sure if hers or not) completely hysterical and yelling over the phone. I think either it's her house, and maybe she got kicked out, or it's someone else's and they won't let her in, either way, she mad bro!

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I went to Sprouts and Publix yesterday to buy grocery items on weekly sale, and lot more people are wearing masks. I would say around 60-70% of the people had on some sort of masks, scarfs, or bandana. Which was awesome to see because when I first started wearing masks in the grocery stores couple weeks ago, I was often the only person with the mask on. People stared at me back then. Not anymore.

But I need to stop putting myself at risk and going to the grocery stores when I don't need to. My sister told me yesterday I was selfish for putting my family at risk. And she's right. I have more food and supplies than like 10 typical families put together. I don't need anymore food. But damn, somehow I felt like I had to buy 2 more rib roasts when I already bought 2 last week and have tons more in the freezer. Just to save like $80. I'm a former Fatwallet and Slickdeals addict so I do the dumbest thing to save the tiniest bit of money. I think having N95 mask is adding to my stupidity. I feel like I'm protected when I'm wearing it and shopping in stores. Stupid things I do to save a dollar while wasting hundreds or thousands on other stupid stuff. I'm a moron.

• Wow
Reactions: Muse

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Heard that 2 people in our town of 5000 has come down with it. It will spread like wildfire out here if these people aren't careful (most are not).