NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 120 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
There are endless examples on Twitter of people shaming the people screaming "racism" with screenshots of themselves saying it a month or two ago.
Well then you haven't been reading or paying attention to the news until now apparently.

Just do any web search for "Chinese Coronavirus" or "Wuhan Coronavirus" and you will find plenty of examples. Here's just a few from what most people would consider mainstream media. I spent 1 minute just screenshotting these from the first 2 pages.

View attachment 18055

View attachment 18056
View attachment 18057
View attachment 18058

Notice a trend? A lot are stemming from the December - February time frame like I stated before the political correctness crowd made their insane accusation that it's racist. Either way, the concept that there was intentional racism behind it is just bonkers dude. I really hope you guys can come to terms with that.

Fair enough, to both of you. I honestly hadn't been paying attention to the 'Chinese' part of it, since it was obvious where it came from and I didn't particularly care about that part.

While I still think it's senseless to define the locale in the name, I'll concede that I was wrong about it being a recent naming change.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I didn't even have to search for "China" or "Wuhan." I literally just scrolled up for 10 seconds on Twitter to find these examples:
3e760b2a945a1059dec7ed955791283f.jpg

233d5f848fa413bb84c5d850e137c723.jpg

3d7aa804b05660aea750f80ee8fca617.jpg

8ebfd16b837141b524bc4aaa10bf70ea.jpg

...but it's only racist when the political opposition does it. That's when it becomes another misguided purity test causing like-minded people to eat their own.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Muse

My Smith machine has pull down and row attachment. 100 a year is a great price I guess u cant buy alot for that. Maybe a elliptical used from craigslist. My smith machine was 300 or less and came with 300 pounds of Olympic bumper plates. I got lucky and looked for a month before getting it on craigslist. The kids school said they will need a contract to be out multiple weeks. Then they transferred me to voicemail. Arrrgh was planning on letting them go one more day then pulling them out of class. Hope it's not to late by then. Sigh... Tom Hanks isnt to bad yet according to the news just slight ache and some cold sweats from the wife.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
In other news, politicians are are worried about...

*rolls dice*
the political correctness of referring to the Coronovirus with the place of origin in the name! Come on down, you're the winner!

View attachment 18049
View attachment 18050

At least someone tried to help them out in realizing that this is incredibly common:
View attachment 18048
You can call it what you want. I'm referring to the pathogen as SARS-CoV2, the disease as Covid-19, possibly the current coronavirus outbreak. Racism is a disease of the human psyche. Health should be our goal.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Well then you haven't been reading or paying attention to the news until now apparently.

Just do any web search for "Chinese Coronavirus" or "Wuhan Coronavirus" and you will find plenty of examples. Here's just a few from what most people would consider mainstream media. I spent 1 minute just screenshotting these from the first 2 pages.

View attachment 18055

View attachment 18056
View attachment 18057
View attachment 18058

Notice a trend? A lot are stemming from the December - February time frame like I stated before the political correctness crowd made their insane accusation that it's racist. Either way, the concept that there was intentional racism behind it is just bonkers dude. I really hope you guys can come to terms with that.

Like CZroe said, this is manufactured outrage - through and through.

You have a partial point, but I remain of the opinion that the conservative figures calling it that term _now_ are doing so for conscious political reasons (not racism, but an element of insular nationalism - which can in turn give rise to racism).

I note Trump in his broadcast referred to the virus as "a foreign virus" - as if it would be fine if only it were an all-American virus. Seems obvious to me what is going on with such terminology.

Also - most of the examples being given refer to the virus _in China_. Or refer to the Chinese 'outbreak'. The first outbreak was Chinese, it was a Chinese crisis or problem at the start, the virus itself has no nationality.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
You have a partial point, but I remain of the opinion that the conservative figures calling it that term _now_ are doing so for conscious political reasons (not racism, but an element of insular nationalism - which can in turn give rise to racism).

I note Trump in his broadcast referred to the virus as "a foreign virus" - as if it would be fine if only it were an all-American virus. Seems obvious to me what is going on with such terminology.
I have no problem with them calling it that to counter the false narrative spreading in China that it came from the USA. That's a conscious political reason I can get behind.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I have no problem with them calling it that to counter the false narrative spreading in China that it came from the USA. That's a conscious political reason I can get behind.

You're saying its "tit-for-tat"? Everyone is trying to ascribe it to everyone else? Oh Lord. This isn't going well.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
You're saying its "tit-for-tat"? Everyone is trying to ascribe it to everyone else? Oh Lord. This isn't going well.
No. It's truth to counter lies.

"Tit-for-tat" would imply that it's also a lie to say where it actually came from. It isn't a blame-game.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
I think the panic is starting to hit the general population here (Santa Monica, CA). I've never seen my local grocery so cleared out. One week ago it was pretty well stocked on everything. My family is now good on fresh food/produce for ~10 days + freezer/non-perishable. I fear what it is going to be like beyond that - I think this may have been our last somewhat normal food run. I wouldn't mind my city going on quarantine now to keep the rest of LA out.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
No. It's truth to counter lies.

"Tit-for-tat" would imply that it's also a lie to say where it actually came from. It isn't a game of blame.

It's a lie to give viruses a nationality. It doesn't have a passport. Not having being aware that there's such a story being spread in China (something I can absolutely believe is happening) I can accept that the US use of 'Chinese virus' could be a response to that, thus making it more understandable. But neither is 'the truth'

Nov 8, 2012

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
It's a lie to give viruses a nationality. It doesn't have a passport. Not having being aware that there's such a story being spread in China (something I can absolutely believe is happening) I can accept that the US use of 'Chinese virus' could be a response to that, thus making it more understandable. But neither is 'the truth'

I wouldn't call it a "lie" to state the human origin or associate it with the people first affected. It's scientifically relevant.

Middle Eastern Respiratory Syndrome isn't a lie just because it is associated with a region or ethnic group from that region. Was West Nile Virus a lie or racist toward Egyptians?

Before it was officially named China expressed concern with having it named after China, the Chinese, or any of their sub regions and they didn't want it associated with SARS, even arresting the doctor who tried to share his discovery of "a new SARS." Since then the WHO and everyone else has been tripping over themselves to accommodate thier strange/abnormal request and the public seems even more willing to go along with it as a new racism purity test all while China actively spreads misinformation about the origin.

This is tribalism at its worst.

Reactions: s0me0nesmind1

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
View attachment 18054
This isn't by age, but it's a start. I don't think that level of information is available yet.
OK, this starts not at infection but at the time the patient is aware of being ill. Correct?
I live relatively close to Amish country. I shall take one by force, if necessary!
Arm thyself with a pitchfork! A bible in the other hand might help.
lol. vote for ghouls, expect ghouls to be ghouls.

Let's see how Mitch responds when (not if) he is confirmed to have Covid-19.
That was my thought exactly.
On my February 15/16 connecting flight from Istanbul to Atlanta, I sat next to a man from India who was coughing his lungs out the whole way and never tried to cover his face. I took absolutely no comfort in seeing there were no confirmed cases in India. To me that basically means they were not testing for it.
Well, I have to think you're not coming down with it by March 1 is considerable evidence he didn't have it based on your account.

Last edited:

echo4747

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2005
I didn't even have to search for "China" or "Wuhan." I literally just scrolled up for 10 seconds on Twitter to find these examples:
3e760b2a945a1059dec7ed955791283f.jpg

233d5f848fa413bb84c5d850e137c723.jpg

3d7aa804b05660aea750f80ee8fca617.jpg

...but it's only racist when the political opposition does it. That's when it becomes another misguided purity test causing like-minded people to eat their own.

Any word if Disney in Orlando is closing? They should, or at least close the " Its a Small World" ride

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
OK, this starts not at infection but at the time the patient is aware of being ill. Correct?
Yeah, that starts with symptoms of fever. It's been established there's a 1-14 day incubation period, with an average of around 5 days.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I wouldn't call it a "lie" to state the human origin or associate it with the people first affected. It's scientifically relevant.

Middle Eastern Respiratory Syndrome isn't a lie just because it is associated with a region or ethnic group from that region. Was West Nile Virus a lie or racist toward Egyptians?

Before it was officially named China expressed concern with having it named after China, the Chinese, or any of their sub regions and they didn't want it associated with SARS, even arresting the doctor who tried to share his discovery of "a new SARS." Since then the WHO and everyone else has been tripping over themselves to accommodate thier strange/abnormal request and the public seems even more willing to go along with it as a new racism purity test all while China actively spreads misinformation about the origin.

This is tribalism at its worst.

Seems to me the tribalism is there in both the US (or 'the West') and China. I concede that the US emphasis on it being 'Chinese' may be in response to the nationalistic Chinese conspiracy theories about it being some sort of foreign plot (conspiracy theories which I've only just heard about, but which don't surprise me).

The point is, I don't see any convincing argument to say that such a thing could only have arisen in China, or that the specific mismanagment of the Chinese government was the only way such a global epidemic could have come about. It's a product of an increasingly globalized world, with ever-increasing levels of travel (plus, perhaps, the practice of eating meat and increasing human encroachment on the natural world). Assigning it a national-identity carries the implication that certain cultures or political systems are a necessary and fundamental cause of such disasters - I don't see a good reason to believe that. It seems to me to be more a product of modern society as a whole.

Reactions: CZroe