NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 101 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
How will COVID-19 play out in America over the next year? What are your thoughts?

Will this virus change the way that we conduct our lives?
Short term, possibly. I guess that will depend on how hard hit your area is. Long term, some might be better prepared for a future event whether it's something like this or even a natural disaster(hurricane, flood, tornadoes, etc) but alot will go back to the same old same old.
Do you think that we will get back to some type of normal, or will we see huge sweeping changes?
In the US, people now have a short attention span. I think we will ultimately just go back to normal.
What about our health care system, and the middle class? How much of an impact economically will this have on our lives?
It will probably expose our healthcare system for the shit that(most know already) it is, we will argue about it for years & something may or may not get done about it.
Economically, some might get hit hard & others might not. That's hard to tell at this point.

I will say though, healthcare wise, the bit i have used mine the last couple years has not been a bad experience. Knock wood.

Reactions: Muse

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I stopped at a Dollar General store on the way home tonight. Taped to the back of the cash register was a sign explaining how to make your own sanitizer. 99% Isopropyl alcohol mixed with Aloe. I don't remember the mix ratio though.

edit-
i take no responsibility for this if your hands fall off
I was just relaying what the sign read. No idea what they sell there & no idea alcohol % in real sanitized. The disclaimer was real.

Aloe-ho, welcome to the islands, now wash your hands.
Mr. Roarke, is that you?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Hand sanitizer is not 99% alcohol. If I'm thinking right its 69% . I dispose of 100's of gallons a week, USUALLY....
So I guess that means you mix 31% aloe with the rest (69%) 99.9% isopropyl.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
I won't be in Honolulu until Thursday. I'm curious if the planes will be packed or empty and nervous about everything the kids are going to touch.
Yesterday they just confirmed the second case, which was an elderly man who became ill while in seattle then boarded an airplane and flew to hawaii and went straight to urgent care. So youll want to cover yourself in bleach...

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
Santa Clara County just banned all large gatherings (1000+ people) for the next 3 weeks. I assume this also includes the San Jose Sharks hockey team. Realistically this is going to be a lot worse in 3 weeks so it might as well be indefinitely.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Now can someone explain to me why people are stocking up on twinkies and ding dongs?

It's probably BS, but there's a belief that Twinkies are so artificial and contain so many preservatives that it's impossible for them to spoil.

The "Zombieland" movie references this belief, but reminds us that Twinkies actually *DO* have an expiration date.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It's probably BS, but there's a belief that Twinkies are so artificial and contain so many preservatives that it's impossible for them to spoil.

The "Zombieland" movie references this belief, but reminds us that Twinkies actually *DO* have an expiration date.
Brings up the tasty question: What is the one food that NEVER SPOILS?

Honey!

Despite being low in moisture, honey's sugars are hygroscopic, which means that they take in moisture from the air. When the heated and strained honey is sealed properly, moisture cannot be absorbed, and the honey stays the same forever. The oldest jar of the sweet stuff ever found is believed to be 5500 years old.Apr 7, 2016

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
My friend was just telling me that he was very sick over the weekend. The nurse asked him if he traveled and he said yes. He went to Cali, plus a, few seminars that he had to travel to by car. The nurse didn't test him for COVID-19. Nothing came of it. He got better today, and will be at work tomorrow.

This is the issue. We aren't taking this virus seriously because we think it's not going to affect us. If he truly has COVID-19 he's going to possibly infect many more at work, the store, etc. SMH

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
My friend was just telling me that he was very sick over the weekend. The nurse asked him if he traveled and he said yes. He went to Cali, plus a, few seminars that he had to travel to by car. The nurse didn't test him for COVID-19. Nothing came of it. He got better today, and will be at work tomorrow.

This is the issue. We aren't taking this virus seriously because we think it's not going to affect us. If he truly has COVID-19 he's going to possibly infect many more at work, the store, etc. SMH
you have friends?? What a novel thing.....

• Wow
Reactions: Zanovar

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006

If he got better he doesnt have it anymore... Do you know how viruses work?