NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 98 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Given how exceedingly infectious this seems to be, I'm very dubious about the idea of warmer weather having any noticeable effect. Pretty sure we get to just ride this one out, and hopefully enough people are intelligent about quarantine procedures to keep most people out of harm's way.

What does 'ride it out' mean though? You mean get to a point where most people have had it, recovered from it, and developed some level of immunity to it? Again, that surely depends crucially on not too many getting it at the same time such that we run out of hospital places? That would determine how many people die in getting to that point.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
There is so much misinformation on this virus. What's funny is EVERYONE is a goddamn expert. I've had so many people tell me that this is ridiculous. It's being overblown. That it's a stronger version of the flu. That they are still going on their cruise. Then I watch a video like this with doctors and scientist who know what they are talking about, and who have years of experience. Professor Gabriel Leung is estimating at least 60% of the world's population will be infected, and at least 45M dead. Yes, FORTY FIVE MILLION DEAD. This is not a stronger version of the common flu. He should know because he was at the forefront of the SARS outbreak. We need to start testing everyone ASAP. We need to follow China's steps and stop the flow of traffic, or else this will get out of hand.

BTW, it looks like the wet markets in Asia/SE Asia are still going. Sickening. I'm getting a mask. I lived in Asia for years. I know how bad this can get, and it's not to be taken lightly.

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
What does 'ride it out' mean though? You mean get to a point where most people have had it, recovered from it, and developed some level of immunity to it? Again, that surely depends crucially on not too many getting it at the same time such that we run out of hospital places? That would determine how many people die in getting to that point.
Basically, yes. With luck we can isolate those that are infected enough for the virus to be eliminated before it infects the largest swathes of the 60+ population but I don't think we're that lucky. I personally predict we're going to lose ~4% of the 60+ population in the US.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Doesn't seem to be available in Canada. I was legit curious how much that costs. Could use it to make homemade hand sanitizer, good business opportunity during the shortage. :p Not sure what other ingredient is used, some kind of gelatin?

Cut with the 55ga drum of water based personal lubricant in Old's basement.

• Haha
Reactions: BudAshes

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm assembling a full copper plate-mail armor to wear around campus (sick little bastards are going to come back from spring break all diseased).

Nothing it getting through my copper wall.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
With everything else, wondering if they'll be cancelling the College World Series in Omaha this year. Last year's attendance was 330k.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Should we start locking down whole cities? Another thing that irks me are the school closings. If a school is being closed for cleaning due to COVID-19, are the people returning being tested? And, everyday for that matter? It makes ZERO sense to clean a school to only reinfect it for a second, thirds, fourth time. It just doesn't make much sense.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
The world is now in full panic, so now I'm hopeful this virus can be contained by mid May to end of June. It looks like China and South Korea are on the road to recovery. It took them like 2-3 months so we should expect similar timeframe for the rest of the world. I'm feeling pretty optimistic.
But these other countries have competent leaders, unlike the US with an incompetent idiot that thinks it is a democratic plot that put an anti-science stooge in charge. The US is screwed thanks to these two idiots.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Wouldnt it make more sense to quarantine everyone over 60 then inject everyone else with the virus and get it over with?

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
But these other countries have competent leaders, unlike the US with an incompetent idiot that thinks it is a democratic plot that put an anti-science stooge in charge. The US is screwed thanks to these two idiots.

It's not just the POTUS though. Many in America think that this virus is nothing. They'll soon find out the hard way.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
That could make for a very interesting product. Throw in pumpkin spice for shits and giggles.

Antibacterial personal lubricant with pumpkin spice flavour.

Maybe we should hold up in some basement in the middle of the woods.
We could make a new civilization. We could plant our own crops. :)

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Maybe we should hold up in some basement in the middle of the woods.
We could make a new civilization. We could plant our own crops. :)

Ahem.Lets not get ahead of ourselves here.I nervously typed that while checking cheap island prices in polynesia.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I'm not worried about getting the virus as a healthy adult. I am however worried about my parents and my kids.

My bro-in-law's restaurant is already took a 30% hit in sales past weekend. Sucks.

Reactions: Scarpozzi

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
So...it looks like Conte has ordered the entirely of Italy locked down. Highly restricted travel only.

Plus all sporting events suspended. Public gatherings banned.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
We are beginning to see outbreaks in hot countries south of the equator, so time will tell if climate can mitigate them. India, Ecuador, Egypt, Singapore, and others have shown surges in reported new cases in the past day or so.

India and Egypt and Singapore are north of the equator. GD. geography is important.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
People are sick and are going to work. Why? because they can't miss a day. So many are lving paycheck to paycheck.
Yet, they are infecting everyone at their work, supermarket, etc.