NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 96 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
do you take one-a-day vitamins or anything like that?

i just checked mine and they have 11mg of zinc in them. i wonder if i just took 1.5 of the vitamins a day if it would be equivalent, or if there is something special about the cold-eeze method of delivery

Multi vitamins are terrible for you. All the wrong forms and doses. I know your always wondering why you feel like shit, taking a multi probably isn't helping.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Multi vitamins are terrible for you. All the wrong forms and doses. I know your always wondering why you feel like shit, taking a multi probably isn't helping.

That's a strident claim; nevertheless, multis are not going to be a great way to load up on zinc thanks to all the other stuff that's in there. Iron overdose is always a concern.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
The other reply is probably better, but there is a lot of solid steel at the bottom of the ocean and the Great Lakes. Some of it is remarkably rust free despite having been there for many decades. Something about the interaction of water, steel and air. Lack of air slows the oxidation process.
Huh? Mild steel/iron rust readily in water. Anything submerged in water not rusting is either a rust-resistant (mind you, not proof) alloy, or not steel.

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
Well, the State Department travel advisory probably means that I won't be going on my cruise after all. On the plus side, the cruise line has a temporary cancellation policy in place which means that I won't be *completely* hosed if I can't go. On the down side, the cancellation policy is for "future cruise credit", meaning they'd hold onto my money. And I could really use a real vacation. Le merf.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
That's a strident claim; nevertheless, multis are not going to be a great way to load up on zinc thanks to all the other stuff that's in there. Iron overdose is always a concern.
I don't think that zinc stuff is working for me. I sucked on zinc candy all day yesterday and my condition worsened last night and this morning. Feels like bad cold. My daughter was sick for couple days about week and half ago. She passed that to my wife who was sick last week. Now my wife passed it to me. I feel like death this morning. Ugh.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I don't think that zinc stuff is working for me. I sucked on zinc candy all day yesterday and my condition worsened last night and this morning. Feels like bad cold. My daughter was sick for couple days about week and half ago. She passed that to my wife who was sick last week. Now my wife passed it to me. I feel like death this morning. Ugh.

Should just lick a zinc pipe.

• Love
Reactions: cytg111

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I don't know if similar symptoms manifest for zinc overdose via the oral route but zinc fume poisoning manifests as flu-like symptoms.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Zync lozenges won't make you feel better, the whole notion behind it was that zinc coating your throat will inhibit the ability for you to spread the virus to others.

Why did you think it would make you feel better?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Dublin cancels St. Patrick's day parade.

Port Authority exec director tests positive for COVID-19

State of NY manufacturing it's own line of hand sanitizer to combat price gouging/shortages

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Dublin cancels St. Patrick's day parade.

Port Authority exec director tests positive for COVID-19

State of NY manufacturing it's own line of hand sanitizer to combat price gouging/shortages

Guiness should tell people to wash hands with their stout.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
This is why we do not have nice things because of fools like this and other fools that do not wash their hands and practice good hygiene -

13 hr 44 min ago
Father of woman diagnosed with coronavirus attended school function against orders of health officials to isolate, official says

From CNN’s Hollie Silverman

The father of a woman with a presumptive positive case of coronavirus attended a school function with another child Saturday against the orders of health officials to isolate, St. Louis County Executive Sam Page said during a Sunday press conference.
The presumptive positive case in St. Louis County was identified as a woman in her 20s who had recently returned from Italy, a press release issued Saturday said. The only reported case in the state, the woman had fever and respiratory issues, Gov. Mike Parson said.
The woman's father and other family members had been in daily contact multiple times a day since March 5 and knew they were supposed to isolate at home, Page said.
Health officials have since spoken to the father and told him he needs to stay home. They will obtain a court order for quarantine if necessary, Page said.
Page did not know how many people attended the school function or what the possibility for exposure was. The father and other members of the family are not exhibiting symptoms, he said.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Zync lozenges won't make you feel better, the whole notion behind it was that zinc coating your throat will inhibit the ability for you to spread the virus to others.

I thought zinc was supposed help suppress the virus from multiplying if you used it early enough. Doesn't matter now. I'm going to stay in bed and rest up for the next couple of days.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Do you reckon it's covid-19?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I thought zinc was supposed help suppress the virus from multiplying if you used it early enough. Doesn't matter now. I'm going to stay in bed and rest up for the next couple of days.
Drinking milk is the simplest antidote for zinc poisoning, if that is what you have and you can drink milk.

Reactions: ponyo

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I mean, maybe, but again, the whole point of the lozenges was to keep them from multiplying in a place that makes it easier for them to transfer to the open air. You'd probably need very high dosages of zinc to do what you think they should be doing, and odds are good it'd be poisonous to you to do so. Just let your body do its thing, lots of fluids and food as always.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

I think it will help inhibit the virus from attacking your lung tissue. From Dr. Robb, coronavirus expert pathologist:

Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.

He also said:

Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs). The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I think it will help inhibit the virus from attacking your lung tissue.
These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx.
Throat and nasopharynx != lung tissue. If you've got a mass of virii breeding in your lungs, you'd have to spray down the inside of your lungs with zinc like some kind of miniature attic spray-foam, and it'd undoubtedly kill you.

Literally, the only thing the lozenges does, is inhibit growth in your throat, so you aren't coughing that shit everywhere.

Reactions: Muse and BudAshes
Nov 8, 2012
I'll make sure to note that.

I've also heard vaccines cause autism and that chemicals in the water are turning the friggen frogs gay.