NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 722 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
1t4LdBG.png

Numbers in Ontario Aug 10th-Dec 28th

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Lets analyze what was said. Here is from the link on Dec 13, 2021: "In a preliminary scenario, we estimate that in three weeks there could be up to 90,000 and 300,000 cases per day and 50 to 200 admissions per day if the measures do not slow the epidemic significantly."

Also on Dec 13, 2021, Norway entered into stronger antiviral measures "Norway will stop the sale of alcohol in restaurants and bars, bring back limits on schools and require people to work from home, the government said late on Monday. It will mandate face masks at indoor events, close amusement parks and expand quarantine rules to all suspected virus variants. Adults are advised to cancel sport and leisure activities, and limit social interaction to ease pressure on the health system.": https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...urns-to-tougher-measures-to-slow-omicron-wave

So, was it the model that aged poorly, or the protective measures that actually worked?
All good points, obviously the protective measures worked. I'd still say Norway had done reasonably well against Covid in prior waves, so 100k daily cases was never really a possibility.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
I wonder how well that model took into account assumptions on limits of propagation, i.e. can they even run into enough people to spread that fast?

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
ICU at 95% here—7 day moving average for new cases is currently at a record as well. Pretty much the same story everywhere you go.

Dec 10, 2005
If you're in Massachusetts and having trouble getting a test, you could try Labcorp's OnDemand testing sponsored by the state:

Turnaround time will probably be in days, but worth pursing if you need a test.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Now entering the 1st lockdown of 2022.
But people like you are the ones ensuring this lockdown will fail and thus we will need another one, and another one. What about trying everything possible to make this lockdown be the last? That includes posting about everything that makes it a success instead of everything you don't like about fighting the virus.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
But people like you are the ones ensuring this lockdown will fail and thus we will need another one, and another one. What about trying everything possible to make this lockdown be the last? That includes posting about everything that makes it a success instead of everything you don't like about fighting the virus.

People like me just want this clown world to end, it's the others that seem to be keen on continuing. With around 80% of people vaccinated not sure what else they want. We're never going to reach covid zero, this virus is here to stay and we just need to live with it. The TV doctors should be promoting good health like losing weight, quitting smoking, and other things of that nature and overall work on treatment as well. It's hard to find these stats but would not be surprised if the majority of people who are vaccinated that still end up in hospital are either obese, smokers or have underlying conditions and/or are very old to begin with.

They've also had decades to increase hospital capacity. But at very least, they should have done it in the last 2 years. The hospital capacity issue has been an issue for as long as I can remember.

• Haha
Reactions: KMFJD

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
We're never going to reach covid zero, this virus is here to stay and we just need to live with it.
This is easily stoppable, if people like you simply try. I just don't understand the "lets lose" attitude. Your point is correct that we'll keep having lockdowns if things don't get better. And you are the ones preventing us from getting better.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
This is easily stoppable, if people like you simply try. I just don't understand the "lets lose" attitude.

Try doing what exactly? I'm vaccinated and been masking for over 2 years. Most people have. There is nothing else we can do at this point. The government does not have any road map or plan to return to normal. It was originally suppose to be the vaccine but we were lied to.

Reactions: ultimatebob

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
They've also had decades to increase hospital capacity. But at very least, they should have done it in the last 2 years. The hospital capacity issue has been an issue for as long as I can remember.
Wow so simple, just increase capacity! It's not like healthcare workers have been quitting from being burned out and attacked on their job, how do you think you're going to magically staff this massively expanded healthcare system?

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Try doing what exactly? I'm vaccinated and been masking for over 2 years. Most people have. There is nothing else we can do at this point. The government does not have any road map or plan to return to normal. It was originally suppose to be the vaccine but we were lied to.
You aren't doing the one thing that is truly necessary: getting others to join in the fight. You are encouraging them to keep the virus going forever.

Reactions: Captante

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
This is easily stoppable, if people like you simply try. I just don't understand the "lets lose" attitude.
Actually, it isn't easy. There is not way to stop this in the massively connected global economy we have today. Not unless a much more powerful vaccine is developed that drove down transmissibility to fractional levels; and is distributed quickly throughout the whole world. We haven't done a good job on the latter with the vaccines we have - not even close.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Actually, it isn't easy. There is not way to stop this in the massively connected global economy we have today. Not unless a much more powerful vaccine is developed that drove down transmissibility to fractional levels; and is distributed quickly throughout the whole world. We haven't done a good job on the latter with the vaccines we have - not even close.
Prepare for 2 weeks at home. Get as many people as possible to actually follow through. Boom, virus is down to manageable levels. Sure some people like Red Squirrel will try to make this virus continue so that we have to keep having lockdowns. I have no illusions that we can get everyone on board. But, we can get the virus down to levels that are manageable now that we have vaccines, masks, treatments, etc.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The real solution should have been at the very beginning. Stop travel 100%, bubble regions so people can't move between them. Monitor situation and slowly recombine regions that are covid free until everyone is free to move within the country, but keep international travel banned. That way people can still live normally within the country. If each country did that, eventually it would be gone.

But they never did that and now would be too late.

These half assed lockdowns will not do anything.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Not firing nurses in the middle of a pandemic would be a good start. And paying more would help too.
Pretty sure healthcare workers quitting from burnout is a much bigger problem than them being fired. Didn't Texas already try to fix this problem by throwing more money at healthcare workers and it didn't work? I remember hearing about some state here trying it, maybe it was Florida. You can't just throw money at problems to fix it, it doesn't fix everything.

Dec 10, 2005
The real solution should have been at the very beginning. Stop travel 100%, bubble regions so people can't move between them. Monitor situation and slowly recombine regions that are covid free until everyone is free to move within the country, but keep international travel banned. That way people can still live normally within the country. If each country did that, eventually it would be gone.

But they never did that and now would be too late.

These half assed lockdowns will not do anything.
As WHO and others have pointed out, travel bans are blunt and generally ineffective, especially given the asymptomatic spread that we've seen. Look at how well the travel ban worked for omicron and South Africa.

How would you enforce bubble regions within a country? People whine about not being able to eat at a restaurant - you think they would put up with a real travel restriction within their own state or country?

A better solution would be mandating testing (with good sensitivity and turnaround times), masks, and vaccinations in order to fly and do other things. Want to participate in society, you need to play by the rules that protect others.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Nurses that don't want to get vaccinated should be fired. If you can't take basic steps to protect your patients, you are bad at your job and bad at decision making.

It's better to have a few unvaccinated nurses than aggravating a nursing shortage. Besides that narrative is dead now considering we're in lockdown again and the places that are closed required vaccine passports to enter. The virus is spreading among vaccinated too. In a hospital setting they would be wearing proper PPE as well to protect themselves and others from everything, not just covid. Even the common cold can kill people who are hospitalized depending on their illness. It's just stupid to fire nurses over semantics in the middle of a pandemic and then cry that there is a shortage. No shit sherlock. Self inflected problem there. This also punishes all the other nurses who now have to work even harder.

The vaccines help prevent severe illness and does REDUCE transmission, but it does not stop it 100%. It's insane to mess with people's lives over something that is just a chance. If the vaccine had 100% transmission reduction then it would maybe be a bit more justifyable. But even then. It's unethical to screw with people's lives over a personal medical decision.

People whine about not being able to eat at a restaurant - you think they would put up with a real travel restriction within their own state or country?

A better solution would be mandating testing (with good sensitivity and turnaround times), masks, and vaccinations in order to fly and do other things. Want to participate in society, you need to play by the rules that protect others.

The bubble region idea would have been way less invasive than restricting people locally. Keep everything open normally with no mandates etc and just have everything be normal. Testing requirement to leave/enter region could work too. Point is to try to stop it from entering in first place, too late for that now though. The virus is everywhere now and I doubt it's going to go away at this point.

Good news is, covid is no longer dominating ICU beds, this new variant is tame as far as illness goes it's just that it's insane contagious.

7FiuA4R.png

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
It's better to have a few unvaccinated nurses than aggravating a nursing shortage. Besides that narrative is dead now considering we're in lockdown again and the places that are closed required vaccine passports to enter. The virus is spreading among vaccinated too. In a hospital setting they would be wearing proper PPE as well to protect themselves and others from everything, not just covid. Even the common cold can kill people who are hospitalized depending on their illness. It's just stupid to fire nurses over semantics in the middle of a pandemic and then cry that there is a shortage. No shit sherlock. Self inflected problem there. This also punishes all the other nurses who now have to work even harder.

The vaccines help prevent severe illness and does REDUCE transmission, but it does not stop it 100%. It's insane to mess with people's lives over something that is just a chance. If the vaccine had 100% transmission reduction then it would maybe be a bit more justifyable. But even then. It's unethical to screw with people's lives over a personal medical decision.

The bubble region idea would have been way less invasive than restricting people locally. Keep everything open normally with no mandates etc and just have everything be normal. Testing requirement to leave/enter region could work too. Point is to try to stop it from entering in first place, too late for that now though. The virus is everywhere now and I doubt it's going to go away at this point.

Good news is, covid is no longer dominating ICU beds, this new variant is tame as far as illness goes it's just that it's insane contagious.

7FiuA4R.png
If you had your way, Polio would still be rampant, because "it's just a chance", and "a personal medical decision". It's absurd that this is the vaccination that is suddenly the devil, after decades of successful vaccination requirements.

Reactions: Zorba and Captante
Dec 10, 2005
Vaccines reduce transmission by a substantial amount. To be vaccinated or not is not some personal decision that has no impact on anyone else. To continue to frame it this way shows you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the issue.
It's better to have a few unvaccinated nurses than aggravating a nursing shortage.
Keeping people that are shit at their job is a bad reason to keep people on in a shortage. As for your other rationale, see the prior point. Getting vaccinations is not some 'entirely personal decision that has no impact on anyone else.' That line of thinking is some libertarian mumbo jumbo.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I doubt cancer patients mind that the people in the room at the hospital or clinic aren't vaxxed. /sarcasm

Seriously. I've been avoiding my sister and her family since this wave started in July or Aug. I've been out to visit twice the two weeks before xmas because there was a slight break between Delta and Omnicrom. I don't go out there because none of them are vaxxed and none wear masks that protect themselves so why would I want be in a room with a doctor or nurse that isn't vaxxed? I go to my doctor or hospital to get or stay healthy. I don't go to get a mostly preventable and possibly deadly disease. What scares me more than dying though is having a long term or permanent symptom of long covid. Critical thinking 101.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Prepare for 2 weeks at home. Get as many people as possible to actually follow through. Boom, virus is down to manageable levels. Sure some people like Red Squirrel will try to make this virus continue so that we have to keep having lockdowns. I have no illusions that we can get everyone on board. But, we can get the virus down to levels that are manageable now that we have vaccines, masks, treatments, etc.
Well, it's gotten better - at least wrt deaths in First world countries. We don't get much reporting on under developed parts of the world, but that's where the new variants are coming from due to low vaccination rates and non-compliance with safety measures. Many people in these countries are just trying to survive as it is, Covid is just one of many threats to their lives and livelihoods. It's a bad situation.