NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 712 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
There is a pretty strong association between vitamin D and the severity of sleep apnea. It doesn't mean there's a causal relationship, but it's worth trying to address it for the direct and indirect benefits of being vitamin D sufficent while the slow research process plods along depending on funding.

So start popping the D pills or eating the wild salmon, UV treated mushrooms, etc.
There is absolute mountains of literature on vit D deficiency being concurrent with many different chronic diseases, but very limited data that replacing it actually improves outcomes outside of very few specific circumstances.

Vit D deficiency is probably a sign of being "sick" rather than causing sickness.

Reactions: Zorba

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Do they know for sure that omicron immunity works against delta? It doesn't seem to work that well the other way round, so would it work this way round? Or does it not have to be 100% to suppress the spread of delta?
I would have assumed both could spread simultaneously, unless one produced an immune response that was overwhelmingly effective against the other.
I think it's like Flu A. It's very rare for someone to get multiple Flu A strains in the same year. But you can get A and B.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
There is absolute mountains of literature on vit D deficiency being concurrent with many different chronic diseases, but very limited data that replacing it actually improves outcomes outside of very few specific circumstances.

Vit D deficiency is probably a sign of being "sick" rather than causing sickness.
But white people took over Northern Europe because they could produce more vitamin D than darker people, so there must be some benefit.

Last edited:

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Sister called and said her son tested positive for covid. My nephew is 16 yrs old and double vaxxed so I'm not terribly worried about him. I'm more concerned about my sister who elected not to get the booster shot. So far he's the only one who tested positive but it's probably only matter of time before they're all infected.

We were going to get together for Christmas. So canceled that. Now I have extra 10 lbs of ribeye steaks I have to figure out what to do with. I'll probably still cook and deliver it.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/22/omi...sten-the-covid-pandemics-end-says-expert.html

I pretty much agree with this and believe omicron might be the best thing that happened since covid started. Omicron kills other covid variants and itself by spreading so fast and thus ending this miserable covid pandemic. That's assuming the cases are weaker and milder than Delta.
Until the next variant comes along. I don't like to be negative so i'll say i'm 'cautiously optimistic'.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Until the next variant comes along. I don't like to be negative so i'll say i'm 'cautiously optimistic'.

Wish it would evolve to be beneficial. Surely a virus that evolves to help its hosts live longer and interact more with others would spread more effectively, thus making it a good evolutioinary strategy?

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Nothing really new here from other recently published data. Old MABs not really helpful, newer stuff probably helpful, Omicron seems to cause less severe disease, get mRNA vaccines and get boosted. mRNA boosters seem to still do a pretty good job protecting against Omicron.

Time will tell.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Wish it would evolve to be beneficial. Surely a virus that evolves to help its hosts live longer and interact more with others would spread more effectively, thus making it a good evolutioinary strategy?
There are viruses that embed themselves in the host's DNA and live forever within that lineage.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002

Linked from Ponyo's posted article
Antibodies aren't everything — Covid vaccines have another secret weapon to fight omicron
Subtitled - "How vaccine-induced T cells add a layer of Covid defense"
So maybe there is some hope.

Reactions: Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
“In addition, the report highlighted 290 cases where people caught Omicron just 60 to 89 days after previously being infected with COVID a first time.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states that cases of reinfection with COVID remain rare, but a recent report from Imperial College London (ICL) noted that the Omicron variant was associated with a more than 5-fold higher risk of reinfection compared to the Delta variant.”

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
“In addition, the report highlighted 290 cases where people caught Omicron just 60 to 89 days after previously being infected with COVID a first time.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states that cases of reinfection with COVID remain rare, but a recent report from Imperial College London (ICL) noted that the Omicron variant was associated with a more than 5-fold higher risk of reinfection compared to the Delta variant.”

"69 identified cases with Omicron as a third episode of infection" out of over 116,000 individuals

So, not something to really be concerned with.

Reactions: Red Squirrel

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Considering much of the world is unvaccinated, I’m personally concerned about a 5x increase in reinfection over delta.
That's 0.06% reinfection rate from the above article. So, even if it is 5x that of delta, it's almost vanishingly small compared to the other problems we have with Covid.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I spoke with my sister today and she said my nephew is well on his way to full recovery. She said it's basically like he got the cold and they're not worried. I expect all of them to get covid since they're not wearing mask around him.

Reactions: Ajay

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
That's 0.06% reinfection rate from the above article. So, even if it is 5x that of delta, it's almost vanishingly small compared to the other problems we have with Covid.

At the moment, yes, I agree. But if successive variants continue to exponentially increase reinfection rates…

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm wondering. Omicron appears at this point to be likely the most transmissible strain of covid-19 to emerge. It also appears to be significantly less likely to have severe consequences for persons infected (not considering the fact that they are more apt to transmit it to others). Is it at least theoretically possible to engineer a strain of covid-19 (or other pathogens) that have this combination, i.e. will dominate a pandemic and lessen the pathogen's consequences, perhaps resolving the problem for the most part?