NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 695 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
twitter.com
To me the whole Let's Go Brandon thing is just hilarious because of how it happened. This is the original situation that led to it:

Blatant media lying right in front of people. Everyone chanting "F Joe Biden" and media saying they're actually saying "Let's Go Brandon" It seems this whole narrative has been about lying, manipulating and gas lighting people. And people are eating it up. So I find they just go hand in hand. To me it's not really about hating Joe Biden but hating the narrative. If anything I feel bad for Biden, he should be in a nursing home taking the last few years of his life low key with family going to visit him, not trying to run a country and being in the spot light all the time. Trump was not really any better though. I think the only thing keeping him alive is all the preservatives in Wendy's burgers.

Edit: this article sums up my feelings all too well, I can't believe CBC actually published that but bravo to them.

in case it gets taken down

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Muse

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
To me the whole Let's Go Brandon thing is just hilarious because of how it happened. This is the original situation that led to it:

Blatant media lying right in front of people. Everyone chanting "F Joe Biden" and media saying they're actually saying "Let's Go Brandon" It seems this whole narrative has been about lying, manipulating and gas lighting people. And people are eating it up. So I find they just go hand in hand. To me it's not really about hating Joe Biden but hating the narrative. If anything I feel bad for Biden, he should be in a nursing home taking the last few years of his life low key with family going to visit him, not trying to run a country and being in the spot light all the time. Trump was not really any better though. I think the only thing keeping him alive is all the preservatives in Wendy's burgers.
You seem to be the senile one. What is this doing in this thread?

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005

None of this is painting you in a good light.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Hardly 'media lying', at least not of a politically-meaningful form. Just a reporter caught out and not wanting to risk losing their job by repeating an obscenity live on air. It's hardly news that US mainstream media is very risk-averse and, in particular, very prone to prudishness about sex or obscene language. It's always struck me that the distinguishing feature of US mainstream media is its blandness (and tendency to 'follow the pack'). In the past that's often meant it appearing to me to be very conservative, but really it's a very specific type of conservatism, that some could also see as liberalism. Fundamentally it's about blandness. Mainstream everything in the US is distinguished by its blandness. Even while all sorts of eccentric or extreme (and more interesting) stuff is available at the margins.

It's a different media-culture to here, where the 'mainstream' has always been prone to be openly politically-partisan (and, at the same time, a hell of a lot less keen on fact-checking and caution about accuracy than their US equivalents).

K1052

Lifer
Aug 21, 2003
https://www.wsj.com/articles/fda-aims-for-quick-review-of-omicron-vaccines-and-drugs-11638532801?mod=latest_headlines

FDA Aims for Quick Review of Omicron Vaccines and Drugs

Agency and drugmakers develop testing and manufacturing guidelines in case they are needed for fight against new Covid-19 variant

Of course paywalled and nobody else has the story yet but looks like FDA just wants to see immune response data from a small group of people before giving the ok to a new shot which would take a couple months. It takes the mRNA vaccine companies about 60-90 days to run a scale batch from start to shipping so would not likely delay things at all.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
It takes the mRNA vaccine companies about 60-90 days to run a scale batch from start to shipping so would not likely delay things at all.
That is the great potential of mRNA vaccines: the technology to make them has been around for decades and it is just basically like putting a Lego set together. You can get a new vaccine out very easily, cheaply, and quickly. Almost anyone who has gone through a microbiology lab in college, has the skills and knowledge to make their own mRNA vaccine for Omicron and could take it this weekend if they have access to this fairly simple equipment. This is just the very tip of the iceberg for mRNA vaccine's potential.

The drawback being that RNA is by nature's design very, very short lived, so it is a difficult vaccine to ship and store.

Reactions: Muse

K1052

Lifer
Aug 21, 2003
That is the great potential of mRNA vaccines: the technology to make them has been around for decades and it is just basically like putting a Lego set together. You can get a new vaccine out very easily, cheaply, and quickly. Almost anyone who has gone through a microbiology lab in college, has the skills and knowledge to make their own mRNA vaccine for Omicron and could take it this weekend if they have access to this fairly simple equipment. This is just the very tip of the iceberg for mRNA vaccine's potential.

The drawback being that RNA is by nature's design very, very short lived, so it is a difficult vaccine to ship and store.
The scale up was the hard part and it's basically done now. I think they've found the formulations more tolerant to heat than they originally thought and the storage guidelines have been expanded so it can spend much more time in regular medical freezers and fridges. Pfizer and Moderna had reason to be conservative with the storage requirements at least in the beginning.

Reactions: Captante

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
https://www.wsj.com/articles/fda-aims-for-quick-review-of-omicron-vaccines-and-drugs-11638532801?mod=latest_headlines

FDA Aims for Quick Review of Omicron Vaccines and Drugs

Agency and drugmakers develop testing and manufacturing guidelines in case they are needed for fight against new Covid-19 variant

Of course paywalled and nobody else has the story yet but looks like FDA just wants to see immune response data from a small group of people before giving the ok to a new shot which would take a couple months. It takes the mRNA vaccine companies about 60-90 days to run a scale batch from start to shipping so would not likely delay things at all.
As someone who works in drug manufacturing this is fucking mind blowing.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
As someone who works in drug manufacturing this is fucking mind blowing.

Some tech like this compared to when I was a kid in the 1970's is like Star Trek/science fiction now only real .... totally cool.

:)

(Bones would still find us primitive!)

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Some tech like this compared to when I was a kid in the 1970's is like Star Trek/science fiction now only real .... totally cool.

:)

(Bones would still find us primitive!)
Like the tech is cool and all that sure but what I find really impressive is they can get their lot release shit together in under 3 months 😂

K1052

Lifer
Aug 21, 2003
Reactions: Brainonska511

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I posted awhile back my daughter couldn't get her vaccine when she turned 12 because her ped. found an irregularity with her heart and recommended holding off until she saw a cardiologist back in Oct. Well she saw the card. and her ekg was normal so she has to wear some kind of monitor for the next 30 days. He said he doesn't think getting vaccinated will be an issue since it came back normal so I'm booking her now.

I've got a different minor issue though in that if we get her 1st shot in the next week, we'd have to get her 2nd dose in a different state. We fly from CA to Tx Christmas day lol. I don't think scheduling her for her 2nd dose in Tx will be an issue, but I'll have to find somewhere to schedule her 2nd dose as close to the 3 weeks as possible out there. SMH lol

Dec 10, 2005
I've got a different minor issue though in that if we get her 1st shot in the next week, we'd have to get her 2nd dose in a different state. We fly from CA to Tx Christmas day lol. I don't think scheduling her for her 2nd dose in Tx will be an issue, but I'll have to find somewhere to schedule her 2nd dose as close to the 3 weeks as possible out there. SMH lol
Could try for a national chain, like CVS or Walgreens. It's also probably nbd if you delay by a few days.

K1052

Lifer
Aug 21, 2003
Nothing like trying to analyze data coming in at hodgepodge from disparate places in real time.
About the only thing I'm ready to buy right now is that it is likely more transmissible based on its mutations, some of the clusters that are being seen, and how it's taking off in SA steeper than Delta. Though how much more isn't a question anybody has a clue about yet.

Everything else is TBD.

Dec 10, 2005
About the only thing I'm ready to buy right now is that it is likely more transmissible based on its mutations, some of the clusters that are being seen, and how it's taking off in SA steeper than Delta. Though how much more isn't a question anybody has a clue about yet.

Everything else is TBD.
Even relative transmissibility can be somewhat of a difficult thing to measure. What was the viral mix prior to omicron in SA? What are the demographics of people getting infected vs with delta? What is the mix of people vaccinated getting infected? etc...

K1052

Lifer
Aug 21, 2003
Even relative transmissibility can be somewhat of a difficult thing to measure. What was the viral mix prior to omicron in SA? What are the demographics of people getting infected vs with delta? What is the mix of people vaccinated getting infected? etc...
Yeah it's going to take a little while to really put a number on it.

K1052

Lifer
Aug 21, 2003
"To Be Determined"?

"To Be Decided"?

Or (my first guess) "Too Bloody Difficult"?
The first one.

We'll probably a look at neutralization data next week from at least one of the vaccine makers. As time goes on a clearer picture of transmissibility will emerge too.

ASK THE COMMUNITY