• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 610 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
got my second shot.
of vaccine.
not a shot of bullets.

Also, I think most of us still need masks and smart handwashing technique. For probably another 6 months.

Reactions: Spacehead

[DHT]Osiris

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2015
So.... ban all advertising? :D
Funny you say this, if I were god-emperor for a day, I would ban all advertising. It's almost exclusively misinformation, most of it forms a toxic relationship with those who view it, and much of it is actively abusive in nature. The only advertisement that should be legal is a) product name, b) company who created said product (not sub-sub-sub company, top level company), c) what it provably does. If any claim is found to be false at any point, all gross revenue associated with that product should be stripped from the company, and that company should be placed on probation. If it happens again within a 100 year timeframe, that company should be stripped of all assets and shut down indefinitely.

Reactions: Zorba and Captante

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Funny you say this, if I were god-emperor for a day, I would ban all advertising. It's almost exclusively misinformation, most of it forms a toxic relationship with those who view it, and much of it is actively abusive in nature. The only advertisement that should be legal is a) product name, b) company who created said product (not sub-sub-sub company, top level company), c) what it provably does. If any claim is found to be false at any point, all gross revenue associated with that product should be stripped from the company, and that company should be placed on probation. If it happens again within a 100 year timeframe, that company should be stripped of all assets and shut down indefinitely.
Don't want to sound regressive but I wonder if you've been reading communist propaganda. Now, understand, I too have problems with advertising, in fact I FF through commercial breaks, I find it impossible to watch any TV if I don't time shift it in a way that allows me to do this. I also have always thought I could never work in advertising. However, I remember a ditty in IIRC The Medium is the Massage:

"All news is bad news, all advertising is good news." Still, I guess ironically, I watch and read a lot of news but subject myself to very very little advertising. Of course, I do research products online a whole lot. I hate buyer's regret.

[DHT]Osiris

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2015
Don't want to sound regressive but I wonder if you've been reading communist propaganda. Now, understand, I too have problems with advertising, in fact I FF through commercial breaks, I find it impossible to watch any TV if I don't time shift it in a way that allows me to do this. I also have always thought I could never work in advertising. However, I remember a ditty in IIRC The Medium is the Massage:

"All news is bad news, all advertising is good news." Still, I guess ironically, I watch and read a lot of news but subject myself to very very little advertising. Of course, I do research products online a whole lot. I hate buyer's regret.
I don't read very much propaganda, but I think a lot which I think lends oneself to 'communist' ideals, if not practical applications.

I also happen to think that most 'things' mankind creates probably don't need to exist, so I may not be the best person to talk to about advertisement and human work effort unless you want some very strong opinions...

Reactions: ch33zw1z and Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I don't read very much propaganda, but I think a lot which I think lends oneself to 'communist' ideals, if not practical applications.

I also happen to think that most 'things' mankind creates probably don't need to exist, so I may not be the best person to talk to about advertisement and human work effort unless you want some very strong opinions...
I wouldn't argue with anything you say here but your proposal in that previous post struck me as pretty dang out there considering where we are.

[DHT]Osiris

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2015
I wouldn't argue with anything you say here but your proposal in that previous post struck me as pretty dang out there considering where we are.
Yeah I'm an established resident of 'out there', so don't feel too surprised.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Dang

We gotta educate people, make them value education. Myself, I generally do NOT access social media, unless you call Anandtech Forums social media. When I do visit social media it's usually by virtue of links here. I sure don't mistake what I see on social media as educational. I find Twitter interesting a lot of the time (linked here, of course), but seem kind of allergic to Facebook. I have an Instagram account but don't hang out there at all. I'm virtually illiterate with it, and pretty much with Facebook too. In fact, I don't know squat about Twitter.

I try to get my info from reputable sources. I watch TV news, but that's generally very succinct. I dig deeper elsewhere. These forums have a lot of people who point the direction, I also subscribe to NYTimes online. Their articles and readership are pretty deep.

Reactions: Captante and Ajay

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
This story doesn't surprise me:

Going to a restaurant to eat still isn't always a fun experience. The wait staff is still wearing face masks, and many of the restaurants are short staffed. Factor in a small chance and getting the Delta variant and a 15% price increase over last year, and I'd imagine that a lot of folks would just rather stay home and order a pizza.

Reactions: Captante and Zorba

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
This story doesn't surprise me:

Going to a restaurant to eat still isn't always a fun experience. The wait staff is still wearing face masks, and many of the restaurants are short staffed. Factor in a small chance and getting the Delta variant and a 15% price increase over last year, and I'd imagine that a lot of folks would just rather stay home and order a pizza.
I went out to lunch with a buddy last weekend, and was freaked out. No one had a mask but me.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Look like we (the world community) won't be able to figure out the original source of the virus.

When the WHO-led team visited China earlier this year, it faced constraints and had little power to conduct thorough, impartial research without the blessing of China’s government. Chinese authorities have since declined to provide the WHO with raw data on confirmed and potential early Covid-19 cases.
China Rejects WHO Proposal for Second Phase of Covid-19 Origins Probe (msn.com)

Reactions: gill77

K1052

Lifer
Aug 21, 2003
Biden says full authorization is coming "soon."

My first question is why does the timeline for full approval inhabit a somewhat vague three month window? I know the FDA is all fucked up after their incomprehensible decision on the Biogen drug but come on.

Reactions: Zorba

Zorba

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 1999
My first question is why does the timeline for full approval inhabit a somewhat vague three month window? I know the FDA is all fucked up after their incomprehensible decision on the Biogen drug but come on.
I'm guessing they don't want to make it look political or a rubber stamp. But they need to hurry up.

Reactions: Muse

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I went out to lunch with a buddy last weekend, and was freaked out. No one had a mask but me.
Where do you live? I'm in Connecticut, and some of the things that the restaurants are doing here are impressive. Some of them are still doing temperature checks and collecting phone numbers for contact tracing.

Reactions: Captante

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Oh, I think that we all know where it came from. Don't worry, we'll make sure to reward them for their poor behavior as well by ordering more of the cheaply made stuff from their factories.
All in corporate America's how-to-sell-out playbook

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Where do you live? I'm in Connecticut, and some of the things that the restaurants are doing here are impressive. Some of them are still doing temperature checks and collecting phone numbers for contact tracing.
I'm in New Jersey, and that place had plastic up on their booths, but nothing for the open tables. The staff had no masks, and neither did the customers.

• Wow
Reactions: Muse

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS