NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 605 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Just saw on DW news that several countries in Africa are in crisis with the new Delta variant.

Countries in Asia are in the same boat, in deep trouble with the variant.

More than 13,000 new COVID-19 cases in Malaysia in 3rd straight day of record numbers - CNA (channelnewsasia.com)

Grappling with 'worst-case scenario', Indonesia faces more COVID-19 pain - CNA (channelnewsasia.com)

Indonesia overtakes India as Asia's new Covid-19 epicenter - CNN

Oh, and the Olympics is only a little over a week to go, July 23rd.

Last edited:

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Variant has gotten to my County. Health Dept confirmed 4 cases of the variant now, at least 1 of whom had both doses of the pfizer vaccine back in Feb. They ran a story on him and he sounded good and in good spirits but still worrisome as a diabetic. Back to masking up in places I guess.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
At some point they are just going to have to accept that it's not going away completely. And if people contact it while being unvaccinated, maybe they will get sick, maybe they won't.

I think this is about the limit of the mitigation we can expect to see. Politically there is no incentive to go farther when the means of prevention is at hand and people just refuse to take it.

The government is unlikely to order capacity restrictions again. The unvaxxed will just have to roll the dice as they've decided to do.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Still waiting to see what happens in a week a two when I expect July 4th week festivities to really ramp up infection rates in some areas. Hopefully, it'll scare people back into vaccination sites. Vaccination rates are dropping to fast in some regions.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

More Yankees have tested positive. The three confirmed had been vaccinated too.

Now reading that Aaron Judge is also among the players that are suspected of testing positive. What's notable is that he played in the All Star Game which was Tuesday so he was in close contact with a lot of players from other teams.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Now reading that Aaron Judge is also among the players that are suspected of testing positive. What's notable is that he played in the All Star Game which was Tuesday so he was in close contact with a lot of players from other teams.
I read elsewhere he isn't vaccinated either.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I went to Costco today and very few were unmasked. I was for a few minutes when I ate a couple samples, then my N95 went back on. It really doesn't bother me to wear a mask. My county (Alameda) is contemplating recommending masks indoors at this point, vaccinated or not. Los Angeles, the most populous county in the USA just MANDATED indoor masking for everybody, vaccinated or not. Delta is causing major alarm all over the country. Right now 40 states are seeing upticks in cases. They showed a hospital in Arkansas on the news tonight where every room is full of patients. Major stress there. Only ~33% vaccination rate in Arkansas.

LA county putting the indoor masking requirement back with Delta cases rising

And that's even for the fully vaccinated

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I was in Costco today and 90% masked still. No mandate for vaccinated people and we are one of the most highly vaccinated areas.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I was in Costco today and 90% masked still. No mandate for vaccinated people and we are one of the most highly vaccinated areas.
The real problem in Costcos in the South are maybe 5-10% masked, and very low vaccination rates.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The real problem in Costcos in the South are maybe 5-10% masked, and very low vaccination rates.
Seriously, since the pandemic started I have gotten a very very negative impression of the American south. Well, I suppose since the 2016 general election, but it's gotten worse and worse. I have only one southern hero:

Corey Ryan Forrester

Reactions: Zorba

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Seriously, since the pandemic started I have gotten a very very negative impression of the American south. Well, I suppose since the 2016 general election, but it's gotten worse and worse. I have only one southern hero:

Corey Ryan Forrester
It's warranted. From my time living there (with few exceptions) the people are shit, the institutions are shit, the laws are shit, the attitudes are shit.

Reactions: Zorba and Muse

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

Corey Ryan Forrester
I know, I really want to make be, but everywhere I'd actually like to live is at least as fucked up as Oklahoma. I think I just need to move to New Zealand.

The real deep South is why more f'ed up than Oklahoma. I'm always shocked in like Tennessee or Alabama and I'm like "man I thought Oklahoma was redneck, wow."

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Tonight's Yankee/Red Sox game MAY have been postponed due to Covid cases among multiple players. (including Aaron Judge)

My daughter was going to this with her college friends and is very unhappy ... apparently they may do a double header tomorrow.

EDIT: Just spent 20 minutes online looking for "official word" from MLB and/or the Yankee's ... so far crickets. ESPN is now (1237p) reporting they "expect to play tonight". Getting rain-out info can be like pulling teeth too unless there's a dang hurricane! Wth.

Last edited:

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Just got back from being tested. Woke up this morning with a bit of a s/t and lightheaded. Kinda tired all morning so far. Wife has had cold symptoms since wednesday so I figured why not just go get tested. Took all of 2 minutes. Told my wife she should just go get tested as well. Not sure she will.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
Totally. Too many countries have now seen how much money it takes to build all the shit that often times just falls into ruin.

Some cities may have a good case to host. For example for LA to successfully host the 2028 Olympics, they need to expand their severely lacking mass transit infrastructure. They've already got plenty of stadiums to host events, but they need a few rail line extensions to hit the 2028 target. I'm surprised they even wanted 2024 - that would have been a publicity disaster hearing about athletes stuck on the freeways for hours. Even 2028 is a bit ambitious now given the pandemic has slowed things down.

Nov 8, 2012
Well, Risen Eisen got a breakthrough case.

I had a hunch that releasing the mask "mandate"(in actuality, it's impossible to enforce except at businesses) was dumb as fuck.

So much focus on the dying, and not that long COVID can fuck with your productivity for months.

Once again - this has been said plenty of times now... A vaccine is not intended to prevent someone from getting the virus.

Its main intention is to prevent someone from dying or having MAJOR (permanent) complications from it. So far - from what I've heard world wide is that is a 100% success.

Don't let fearmongering deceive you.

Also, have no idea - nor do i care about who that is. Celebrities speaking on health is a laughable subject.

Nov 8, 2012
I know, I really want to make be, but everywhere I'd actually like to live is at least as fucked up as Oklahoma. I think I just need to move to New Zealand.

The real deep South is why more f'ed up than Oklahoma. I'm always shocked in like Tennessee or Alabama and I'm like "man I thought Oklahoma was redneck, wow."

"The real deep south" are filled with a huge "minority" of Hispanics, Blacks, etc..(unlike racist northern states that are disproportionately white). So.... try using facts instead of your racist stereotyping next time?

You have crossed the line into the political sphere. Don't repeat.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Kind of feels like it's time for a vaccination mandate.
Is it a reasonable expectation? I'd be in favor. I don't know the ins/outs of how this would be done. I suppose if there's substance to this idea, it's being discussed deeply and at length behind closed doors at the present time.

The University of California mandated everyone involved with them get vaccinated who is eligible and doesn't have specific valid reasons not to, as of yesterday afternoon as I understand it. Hey, some diseases have mandated vaccinations, right? Why not covid-19?