NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 569 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Relaxing mitigations too much with a quarter of the population vaccinated could be a mistake...
We need roughly half of the population vaccinated in order to be at the very edge of herd immunity (assuming those who have already have the disease still have enough protection against it). That is not very far away. So, we can wait a few weeks or destroy our progress. Clearly many people have chosen to destroy our progress.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Rolling Stone article on neurological covid-19 issues:

They do some firewall stuff but looks good in my Brave Browser on Windows 10.

Just a sample:
An expert in neuro-infectious diseases, Koralnik has years of experience researching and treating viral infections that result in neurological conditions — like encephalitis caused by the herpes virus, and Guillain-Barré syndrome developing in people infected with Zika. “There are dozens of viruses that cause neurological problems,” Koralnik tells Rolling Stone, “but nothing like what we’ve seen with the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus.”

Reactions: destrekor

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Are you guys ready.... for Nosy?

It's a true HEPA filter!

View attachment 41876

Checks date...
They're early by a week!

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
HR sent out an email yesterday saying all employees (not just on-site) are eligible, and they're basically blocking off a bunch of spots for my coworkers at the county vax site. A bunch of my colleagues are stoked, all of us who've been on site over the past year are vaccinated already but it seems like it's going full bore now. Really hope the bay area numbers keep plummeting, but marin County has ticked up the past two days.

Reactions: Captante and Muse

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
We're getting partial herd immunity at this point. I can't express how glad I am to be fully vaccinated. I haven't changed my behavior a ton yet but it's like having a monkey off my back.

Just read this morning Connecticut will start sign-ups for everyone on April 5th .... we do have some idiots around here just like anywhere else BUT actual sightings seem to be far more rare than most places. (This means my hopes are up too!)

Only bad news is that I-95 runs right up our coast so it's awfully easy for the intellectually challenged masses to our south to drop by for a potentially infectious visit.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
165594306_10159298343639914_8565212242573432006_o.jpg

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Pfizer posted their Kiddie trail today:

Probably looking at October to November for approvals if everything goes well. Moderna posted their kiddie trial last week. Very glad they are finally starting them, upset that it'll likely still be 7-9 months before kids can get them.

I plan on signing up my 5 year-old, pending finding out more about how they draw blood on kids that age. Not sure what I think about making her get a butterfly needle multiple times, hopefully they can do it with a fingerstick. Her doctor was very excited when I told him I planned on offering her as a tribute (I figured he would be, he owns an office with 6 doctors, and if a parent refuses vaccinations for non-medical reasons he tells them they have to find a different office).

Last edited:

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Interesting. It might not be that important now with covid vaccines out but would of been nice to have a larger sample taken.
Flu Vaccine Linked To Fewer and Less Severe Covid Cases
“It is possible that patients who receive their flu vaccine are also people who are practicing more social distancing and following CDC guidelines. However, it is also plausible that there could be a direct biological effect of the flu vaccine on the immune system relevant for the fight against SARS-CoV-2 virus,” senior author Professor Marion Hofmann Bowman, from the Michigan Medicine Frankel Cardiovascular Center, said in a statement.

Reactions: Zorba

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Interesting. It might not be that important now with covid vaccines out but would of been nice to have a larger sample taken.
Flu Vaccine Linked To Fewer and Less Severe Covid Cases
That is interesting. I know the flu vaccine is linked to reductions in numerous other wintertime infections. I don't think there is a clear explanation of the why, though.

This has been getting some attention recently, I recall seeing discussion last spring. What coverage I've seen on the topic suggests it is a natural occurrence with the simple act of vaccination, as an immune system that is getting keyed up due to artificial invaders is still keyed up and thus may respond to other immunological threats at a faster pace. But I haven't seen whether this occurs with just any ol' vaccine, specifically just influenza vaccines, or if this is more specifically due to adjuvants in use for select vaccines (whether with influenza or other virus).

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
This has been getting some attention recently, I recall seeing discussion last spring. What coverage I've seen on the topic suggests it is a natural occurrence with the simple act of vaccination, as an immune system that is getting keyed up due to artificial invaders is still keyed up and thus may respond to other immunological threats at a faster pace. But I haven't seen whether this occurs with just any ol' vaccine, specifically just influenza vaccines, or if this is more specifically due to adjuvants in use for select vaccines (whether with influenza or other virus).
I read about some trials in the EU that tried to give other vaccines like the live TB vaccine to see if it helped prevent COVID from the immunity system pumping up its defenses, but I never saw the results, which likely means they weren't great.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
60 Minutes ran a story earlier tonight and the WHO team in mainland china earlier this year was very much in a "tour guide" and nothing else. Commie china decided what, who, when, and why.

Former Clinton administration NSC official says China didn't allow international experts to do primary research into coronavirus origin - CBS News
I really don't get why they are acting like they are if they have nothing to hide. I don't believe the lab conspiracy, but the more they do stuff like this the more I wonder. I'd also like to know what their real numbers were, especially in Wuhan, no way those will real numbers with all of reports that were coming out at the time.

Reactions: Captante

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I really don't get why they are acting like they are if they have nothing to hide. I don't believe the lab conspiracy, but the more they do stuff like this the more I wonder. I'd also like to know what their real numbers were, especially in Wuhan, no way those will real numbers with all of reports that were coming out at the time.

I can think of several reasons. Avoidance of embarrassment to the government probably tops the list given how things unfolded.

Reactions: Captante