NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 568 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Well, late yesterday I got an email saying to come and get it and so I registered an appointment to get my first stab. Before making that appointment I called and asked which one it was and its Moderna. They also auto-scheduled me for the second shot exactly three weeks to the day and time for the second shot. Hopefully no clotting since I think that was only associated with AZ, but that could just be my ignorance.

I told the wife to increase my life insurance policy just in case--windfall for her in a worse case scenario.

The reports of clotting (such as they are) only apply to AZ being used in Europe.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Well, late yesterday I got an email saying to come and get it and so I registered an appointment to get my first stab. Before making that appointment I called and asked which one it was and its Moderna. They also auto-scheduled me for the second shot exactly three weeks to the day and time for the second shot. Hopefully no clotting since I think that was only associated with AZ, but that could just be my ignorance.

I told the wife to increase my life insurance policy just in case--windfall for her in a worse case scenario.
The Moderna vaccine should be 4 weeks (slightly longer okay) between doses.

Nov 20, 2009
Got'r done. That was the easiest chore I've had to do. I was told while I have an appointment, I could have come anytime from the start of the day until the end of the day. I got through an hour early. Wasn't overrun and they were ready for a larger crowd. My wife's employer is telling her that as of the 25th the vaccine is open to everyone in Georgia.

Reactions: ponyo

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Got'r done. That was the easiest chore I've had to do. I was told while I have an appointment, I could have come anytime from the start of the day until the end of the day. I got through an hour early. Wasn't overrun and they were ready for a larger crowd. My wife's employer is telling her that as of the 25th the vaccine is open to everyone in Georgia.
Glad you were able to get it. It's not hard to get the vaccine in Georgia. The hard part is knowing how to sign up to get the shot. But everyone I know who wanted the vaccine shot have gotten it now. There are couple people I know like my older aunt and uncle who declined to get the shot because their church pastor brainwashed them into thinking the vaccine is the mark of the devil. And my brother-in-law declined as well even though the hospital he works at offered him Pfizer vaccine really early on. He's a big Trumpster.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Ex-gf of mine that moved back to Austin booked her appointment for her first shot now that it's open to general pop in Texas. Unfortunately she has to drive 2.5 hours to get it deep into Trump country, which is where people don't want the shots. By her, everyone wants them.

Nov 8, 2012
Not sure how it is in other states - but where I'm at in Texas they seem practically desperate. I'm getting alerts on my cell-phone from the likes of where there is an emergency (e.g. Tornado warnings, AMBER alerts, etc...) where it basically says "WE HAVE VACCINES, PLEASE COME ASAP. ANYONE, EVERYONE!" lol.

I have plenty of coworkers across the states and in places like north-east where that definitely isn't the case.

Nov 8, 2012
Are you guys ready.... for Nosy?

It's a true HEPA filter!

1616677907518.png

Dec 10, 2005

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Ex-gf of mine that moved back to Austin booked her appointment for her first shot now that it's open to general pop in Texas. Unfortunately she has to drive 2.5 hours to get it deep into Trump country, which is where people don't want the shots. By her, everyone wants them.

Texas distributes more shots per capita to rural/small town Texas than to urban Texas where there is still huge unmet demand. Lots of people are driving 3 or more hours for vaccinations.

• Wow
Feb 4, 2009
I posted in the other thread but I’ll say it here too.
Second Moderna dose really kicked my ass. Felt very sore and sick for 24 hours. Spent most of Wednesday napping on the couch.
I recommend taking that day off from work.
I am all good now but no way was I doing anything productive yesterday.

I will gladly do it again if needed.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Texas distributes more shots per capita to rural/small town Texas than to urban Texas where there is still huge unmet demand. Lots of people are driving 3 or more hours for vaccinations.
It's a bit silly. I looked at the numbers by state yesterday, Texas is in the bottom 5 for percentage of residents vaccinated, at around 11%, but people of any age can get them. Texas is also in the bottom 6 of percentage of distributed vaccines administered. Jersey is doing better in both categories, but it's much harder to get an appointment, and it's not close to being open to general pop. Frustrating

Reactions: K1052
Nov 8, 2012

Wut? I haven't heard that in the slightest. I live on the outer suburbs of Houston and had no problem getting them at a hospital 10 minutes down the road.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Wut? I haven't heard that in the slightest. I live on the outer suburbs of Houston and had no problem getting them at a hospital 10 minutes down the road.

Whatever Texas is doing, it's in the bottom 10 states for all the main vaccine distribution and shots in arms numbers. And my friend in Austin and the people she knows all have to drive over 2 hours for their first shot. Also anecdotal. But the statistics:

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Great to think about, but their numbers are not accurate for Covid. It is up to 123,000 viruses from a cough of someone with a high viral load:
So, if you properly block 99.997% of the viruses (the Nosy claim), then ~4 get through if you inhaled the entire cough of someone else who had a high Covid load.

Since you need roughly 1000 Covid virions to get sick, you'd have to breathe in ~250 highly loaded coughs in a short period of time to get sick. (Or, wear it wrong and get sick.)

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Most people I know who have gotten vaccinated had to go out of town. Some quite far out of town.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
You're 57?! I thought you were in your 30s, or maybe early 40s. Dang. Now I feel really young.

I LIKE the way you think! :p

Seriously the last person I told I my age that was looking at me was shocked ... and NO not because they thought I was 97!

;)

People who can see me usually guess mid-40's.

Why am I not surprised at all by this? :rolleyes:

Last edited: