NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 563 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
My local clinic finally upgraded to the new COVID test. I get them done regularly for site visits; it was always the brain-tickler before, but now they give you a large Q-tip & have you do 10 swirls per nostril yourself (goes up less than inch!), no vertigo required!

The nurse said even after you get a vaccine, you still have to get a COVID test done before stuff like medical procedures, because you can still carry & spread it even though you are immune. Latest I've read is you get a 90-day-ish immunity once you get the virus, or a year if you get the vaccine.

I was glad they switched to that test around here because my daughter recently had to get a test (she had a puking episode at school, likely due to some kind of food poisoning thing) and I didn't really want to tell her how my test was when she was getting ready for it. The deep brain test wasn't exactly painful but it was VERY unpleasant and lasted a fairly long time.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
LOL, sorry but no. Obvious example is Bayer knowingly gave tons of people HIV with their inflected blood products and basically nothing happened to them. I'd say most people consider them a trustworthy brand.

Holy crap that's brutal. Sucks that corporations can do WTF they want and not get in trouble.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Girl in NYC that had a vaccination appointment set for middle of May found one available at a Walgreen's this Friday and booked it. Apparently Walgreen's just got a bunch of stock as they had lots of availability.

I have a rare disease called Achalasia, and I haven't been on the FB support group for it in a while so I hopped on to see what was up. People were discussing how it qualified them for the vaccine. I forgot this disease is being recognized as an immune disorder, so that means I qualify. I checked everywhere in my area in NJ though, nothing is available right now. Boo.
Keep looking, I think it's going to get easier and easier to get jabbed, particularly if you're persistent in looking. And don't forget that if you make an appt for X and find an earlier appt, you can cancel your X appt. I did that for my 2nd Moderna, not because I got an earlier appt but because my X appt was a long drive and I would have to park and go indoors, all things I didn't want to have to do.

Plus, you might find an appt later for a vaccine you'd prefer.

Reactions: Captante

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Irrational vaccine fears. It happens to many vaccines and has stopped some vaccines entirely. The percent of people with blood clots after getting that vaccine is LOWER than in the general population. But, the people have heard blood clots and have made up their minds: they'd rather die from Covid than have a potentially LOWER chance of blood clots.
I simply do not understand that. The "authorities" who put the kabosh on the AZ vaccine should fully realize that if the incidence of blood clots among people vaccinated with the AZ vax is less than the general population it's a clear non-issue and they should never have halted its use. I have to think there's something else going on with this. IT MAKES NO SENSE WHAT THEY'RE SAYING/DOING! The EU is blowing up now with the next wave. Halting the vax process at this point for an obvious non-issue is ridiculous.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Girl in NYC that had a vaccination appointment set for middle of May found one available at a Walgreen's this Friday and booked it. Apparently Walgreen's just got a bunch of stock as they had lots of availability.

I have a rare disease called Achalasia, and I haven't been on the FB support group for it in a while so I hopped on to see what was up. People were discussing how it qualified them for the vaccine. I forgot this disease is being recognized as an immune disorder, so that means I qualify. I checked everywhere in my area in NJ though, nothing is available right now. Boo.

Reminder: Find-A-Shot.org :)

Tracks cancellations ... worked great for me!

(#LeaveNoAppointmentBehind!)

Keep looking

Good advice ... got me a shot weeks sooner then official channels. :)

Reactions: K1052 and Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I was glad they switched to that test around here because my daughter recently had to get a test (she had a puking episode at school, likely due to some kind of food poisoning thing) and I didn't really want to tell her how my test was when she was getting ready for it. The deep brain test wasn't exactly painful but it was VERY unpleasant and lasted a fairly long time.
I've never been tested. Had no reason to. Haven't been sick in the slightest since Nov. 2019 and have been observing strict anti-covid-19 protocols ever since middle of March 2020. Today is the day I'm officially fully vaccinated, it's 14 days since my Moderna #2 shot. Might hit Costco, I've been planning my trip, have my list. Will be wearing a 3M N95.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

Dang, sorry to hear that! Yeah I would get some vertigo after the brain-kiss test lol. Felt like I was on a boat! One of my friends just did the other one new, which is simply a spit test, no Q-tips required!

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I've never been tested. Had no reason to. Haven't been sick in the slightest since Nov. 2019 and have been observing strict anti-covid-19 protocols ever since middle of March 2020. Today is the day I'm officially fully vaccinated, it's 14 days since my Moderna #2 shot. Might hit Costco, I've been planning my trip, have my list. Will be wearing a 3M N95.

Maybe 5 years ago I had a brutal head cold, basically couldn't breath I was so stuffed up. It was the worst one I've ever had. Ever since then I've had a flemmy cough in the mornings that takes awhile to clear out. So when they ask if I have had any symptoms...including cough, the answer is always technically yes. That has sort of led me to get tested when I already knew the answer a few times. I basically don't go anywhere except my work (rarely) and occasionally stores so it would be quite the feat to catch covid.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Dang, sorry to hear that! Yeah I would get some vertigo after the brain-kiss test lol. Felt like I was on a boat! One of my friends just did the other one new, which is simply a spit test, no Q-tips required!

They told me "it will be like you got water up your nose" I guess I must have stopped listening because I think the rest of the sentence was "times 100". Really, it wasn't that awful for me. I remember she said it was going to be 30 seconds, she stuck it in and started turning around and I was thinking "when is the 30 seconds going to end?" and then she says "1, 2..." god dammit! Mostly I just had a ton of tears from it and felt a bit off for a few minutes.

• Wow

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
They told me "it will be like you got water up your nose" I guess I must have stopped listening because I think the rest of the sentence was "times 100". Really, it wasn't that awful for me. I remember she said it was going to be 30 seconds, she stuck it in and started turning around and I was thinking "when is the 30 seconds going to end?" and then she says "1, 2..." god dammit! Mostly I just had a ton of tears from it and felt a bit off for a few minutes.

I have not been tested myself but I had major sinus surgery years ago for a deviated/perforated septum and sinus-polyps so things up there are on the fragile side ... absolutely no way I'm letting random and potentially ham-handed nurse stick a giant q-tip up my nose!

They would either have to let me do it or I would refuse the test. :(

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Should I take the vaccine via my gf work place (she is a RN)? I don't want this a few years later....... after we are married and having problems

Her: "No you can't leave me ever. You owe me. Remember I saved your life during Covid"?
Me: <voice in my head>.: ".....darn it..I should take my chance with Covid than this psycho".

• Haha

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I have not been tested myself but I had major sinus surgery years ago for a deviated/perforated septum and sinus-polyps so things up there are on the fragile side ... absolutely no way I'm letting random and potentially ham-handed nurse stick a giant q-tip up my nose!

They would either have to let me do it or I would refuse the test. :(

Well, they've switched to the bottom of the nostril 10 seconds swipe or whatever around here which doesn't sound any worse than picking a booger to me. That's what my daughter had and it didn't bother her any. I wouldn't hesitate to get one of those tests.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Haven't seen it online yet but most likely A VERY GOOD IDEA TO DO SO PROMPTLY.

View attachment 41290

CBS NY is my "credibility-check" news source FWIW... if they're reporting it IME its almost certainly accurate.

Well, they've switched to the bottom of the nostril 10 seconds swipe or whatever around here which doesn't sound any worse than picking a booger to me. That's what my daughter had and it didn't bother her any. I wouldn't hesitate to get one of those tests.

A VERY different thing!

Last time I had a nasal-swab done post-surgery my vision turned upside-down briefly (!!) when they bottomed out.... I'll pass on a repeat thanks!

:p

• Wow
Reactions: Kaido

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I got my second shot today, and I'm experiencing slight allergic reaction. I got the shot in my left arm, and I'm feeling some minor swelling on left side of my head and face. It's mild allergic reaction similar to what I used to get when I ate shrimp or ate apple. Nothing concerning but as precaution, I took Allegra allergy tablet to calm the allergic reaction. I feel the allergy medicine working and my swelling is going down.

• Wow

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Should I take the vaccine via my gf work place (she is a RN)? I don't want this a few years later....... after we are married and having problems

Her: "No you can't leave me ever. You owe me. Remember I saved your life during Covid"?
Me: <voice in my head>.: ".....darn it..I should take my chance with Covid than this psycho".

There is always the "Nurse I have been a bad boy" play.

• Haha

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I got my second shot today, and I'm experiencing slight allergic reaction. I got the shot in my left arm, and I'm feeling some minor swelling on left side of my head and face. It's mild allergic reaction similar to what I used to get when I ate shrimp or ate apple. Nothing concerning but as precaution, I took Allegra allergy tablet to calm the allergic reaction. I feel the allergy medicine working and my swelling is going down.
Which shot did you get? I didn't read this whole thread, so forgive me if you mentioned it earlier.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000

I must say that I envy you. I always wanted to date an RN, because how many people know the body better than an RN. Oh the fun you must have! :p

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I must say that I envy you. I always wanted to date an RN, because how many people know the body better than an RN. Oh the fun you must have! :p

Really? I didn't pick out profession at all. Before her, there was a PA (physician assistant...and never never ever say anything about her as a nurse...nooo...don't do that..like an insult), then there was another RN before that. Funny that I never into medical field, uneasy myself <nausea> with blood and body fluids and needles.

I know one thing that I better not cheat on her or she would freeze my body while I would be awake and I could be another John Wayne Bobbitt. <yike>

There is always the "Nurse I have been a bad boy" play.

See above. Better not be very bad boy. :D

Last edited:

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Really? I didn't pick out profession at all. Before her, there was a PA (physician assistant...and never never ever say anything about her as a nurse...nooo...don't do that..like an insult), then there was another RN before that. Funny that I never into medical field, uneasy myself <nausea> with blood and body fluids and needles.

I know one thing that I better not cheat on her or she would freeze my body while I would be awake and I could be another John Wayne Bobbitt. <yike>
It sounds like you know what you like... Lucky dog!!! :p