NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 555 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
UPDATE:

Dude ... can I buy you a beer? :D

12:45p THIS Sunday approx 20 minutes away from me @ the Guilford CT CVS ... appoint for shot #1! (most likely Pfizer)

April 5th = shot #2.

If shot #1 is on Mar 7 and shot #2 is on Apr 5, I would think it was Moderna (that's a 29 day gap.)

Reactions: Muse and Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
If shot #1 is on Mar 7 and shot #2 is on Apr 5, I would think it was Moderna (that's a 28 day gap.)

Certainly possible ... I would be fine with that too. Thought I read that either Moderna or Pfizer were good up to 30 days apart though?

I'd take the J&J in heartbeat too if that was available sooner but given the option I'd rather deal with getting 2 shots for potentially greater protection.

EDIT: Seems I was close to correct although this isn't where I originally saw the information ... apparently the upper limit for both 2-dose vaccines is 42 days so 28 should be fine with either one.

Second vaccine dose delayed?

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
How are so many of you getting vaccines already? Are you old and/or essential workers? I figure I'm not due one until the very end of this.

Connecticut changed to allow anyone over the age of 55 to sign up. (I'm 57)

I already had gotten an appointment through the CDC for shot #1 on April 11th but I kept looking and found a website which showed all available appointments in my area.

After only a few "refresh's" I lucked out with one available at a local CVS plus I was already registered on the CVS website for medical stuff which made it quick and easy.

Find-a-Shot

I suggest going on Rite Aid, Walgreens, CVS and any other pharmacy in your areas (that's providing vaccines) website and sign up for an account BEFORE you find an appointment it will save a lot of time.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Which has basically turned into a loophole since it sounds like nobody is requiring any documentation.
That's a huge YMMV.

The place I got mine at I had heard they weren't checking anything like a week before I went. But when I went I had my letter from my company and they needed it. I heard people were getting turned down a lot that same day too because word had gotten out they weren't checking stuff, but they started to crack down.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Which has basically turned into a loophole since it sounds like nobody is requiring any documentation.

maybe, though it seemed like where i went was pretty strict about checking

i had no idea i was going to be eligible until my neuro's office emailed me with an invite to sign up

and even though i was signed up by the doctor, the nurses were discussing whether my condition was legit and if i should get the shot

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
What kind of conditions are allowing people to sign up early?

depends on the state. some states have big lists while other states ignore medical conditions entirely and go strictly on job and age.

in mine:
  • Sickle cell anemia.
  • Down syndrome.
  • Cystic fibrosis.
  • Muscular dystrophy.
  • Cerebral palsy.
  • Spina bifida.
  • People born with severe heart defects, requiring regular specialized medical care.
  • People with severe type 1 diabetes, who have been hospitalized for this in the past year.
  • Phenylketonuria (PKU), Tay-Sachs, and other rare, inherited metabolic disorders.
  • Epilepsy with continuing seizures; hydrocephaly; microcephaly, and other severe neurological disorders.
  • Turner syndrome, fragile X syndrome, Prader-Willi syndrome, and other severe genetic disorders.
  • People with severe asthma, who have been hospitalized for this in the past year.
  • Alpha and beta thalassemia
  • Solid organ transplant candidates and recipients.
and now other conditions have been added that they forgot in the previous round, like lou gherig's, bone marrow transplant, all type 1 diabetes, pregnancy

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
How are so many of you getting vaccines already? Are you old and/or essential workers? I figure I'm not due one until the very end of this.
I went to my Dr. & asked if they were keeping a list. They said yes, added my name & age & they send in the list each Friday to the hospital. Someone from the hospital called me to confirm i wanted to schedule for a shot. They did ask my age(i'm under the current limit) but i also told them i'm in manufacturing which they apparently are allowing now. They set the appointment for the next day.

At work they had hung up a notice several weeks ago that we could sign up online on the hospital website when we're eligible for the next phase. So far no one i know of that signed up that way has been offered a shot.

When i went to get the shot no one asked me for any ID or insurance card, which i was told to make sure i brought with me. Just asked me my name to verify i was on the list for that day. There were people of all ages there but most were older folks, 60-65+. There was even one woman from NY... couldn't get an appointment there so came to PA.

I'm thinking the doing groups in phases sounded good but in reality it's going differently. I'm also wondering how many people are actually signing up for this if they're calling me to get one.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Certainly possible ... I would be fine with that too. Thought I read that either Moderna or Pfizer were good up to 30 days apart though?

I'd take the J&J in heartbeat too if that was available sooner but given the option I'd rather deal with getting 2 shots for potentially greater protection.

EDIT: Seems I was close to correct although this isn't where I originally saw the information ... apparently the upper limit for both 2-dose vaccines is 42 days so 28 should be fine with either one.

Second vaccine dose delayed?
I looked into this because my Moderna #2 shot was moved up from 28 days to 27 days. It's considered "valid" to have the 2nd Moderna shot up to 4 days prior to the recommended 28 days. If it's given prior to that, they say you don't need another shot, however. The 2nd shot is recommended at 28 days up to 42 days after the first. But if given later, that's considered valid and no further shot is recommended. It's a little loosey goosey, but makes total sense to me. The efficacy with the standard 28 days is "94.5%. But they say that 14 days after the first Moderna shot efficacy is 92%. Anyway, I think that 2nd shot probably makes long term effectiveness of the vaccine a lot more likely.

You're almost for sure getting Moderna with the schedule they are giving you.

Reactions: Captante

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I am wondering about this too. In my state they are only doing 65+, underlying conditions, front line workers. That can't include more than a handful of Anandtech posters...

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
I am wondering about this too. In my state they are only doing 65+, underlying conditions, front line workers. That can't include more than a handful of Anandtech posters...

i dunno, i'd be willing to be that most of us are either old or unhealthy

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Texas threw open the doors to anybody with a long list of conditions back in January. I think like half the state (including me) qualifies under 1B.

Husband stumbled into his dose, as is his luck. Clinic at the hospital connected to our Dr's office had extras and told the offices to send people down if they wanted it.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
If shot #1 is on Mar 7 and shot #2 is on Apr 5, I would think it was Moderna (that's a 29 day gap.)

Update: Per notification I just received on the CVS app it's 100% going to be the Moderna version I'll be getting tomorrow.

Reactions: Muse

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
In CA we have regional centers for people with disabilities. My son has autism and is served by the regional center. People that care for people served the by the regional center are eligible. Ironically my son is not eligible. On March 15th people with disabilities who would have a difficult time with getting treatment are eligible. This describes my son so hopefully he will be eligible then.

I got my first Moderna shot yesterday.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I got mine in MD in group 1B or 1C because I was deemed an essential worker.

I'm 39, fit, and in good health.

There are a lot of teachers that are around my age or younger that can get them too.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008

The conditions to qualify is so wide that I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of Americans qualify. Some of the easiest boxes to tick is either being a smoker, having a BMI over 30, or having asthma.