NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 544 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ccryder

Nov 20, 2008
OK, so please let me ask for some sage advice here:

Got my Moderna #1 six days ago. How soon can I feel some real confidence that I have personal protection from getting seriously ill? I'll wear N95, follow distancing protocols. I want to go to Home Depot, Costco, a local food market or two. Been putting those off since March except one Costco run, one trip to local supermarket.

According to this

looks like safest two weeks after second dose.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Re: vaccinations...
We still need to find out if vaccinated people can still spread the virus, correct?
Last i heard there wasn't a lot of data on that yet. At least in the early going until more people get the vaccine that might be an issue.

Reactions: Captante and Muse

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
The ever optimistic advice regarding the virus is pathetic and annoying as fuck since the beginning.

There's going to be about 5% of people where the vaccine has no efficacy.

I will always hold it against the intelligentsia for such reckless disregard of safety and precaution.

The only plausible explanations are that they want old parasites dead and that the money machine must be restarted at all costs by now.

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
The ever optimistic advice regarding the virus is pathetic and annoying as fuck since the beginning.

There's going to be about 5% of people where the vaccine has no efficacy.

I will always hold it against the intelligentsia for such reckless disregard of safety and precaution.

The only plausible explanations are that they want old parasites dead and that the money machine must be restarted at all costs by now.
This is the non-political thread. You must be looking for the other one.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Re: vaccinations...
We still need to find out if vaccinated people can still spread the virus, correct?
Last i heard there wasn't a lot of data on that yet. At least in the early going until more people get the vaccine that might be an issue.

What we've got so far points to vaccines probably reduce transmission. More data is needed before that can be said definitively though.

Reactions: Zorba and Spacehead

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
This is the non-political thread. You must be looking for the other one.
Is that what you said when it wasn't "airborne"?

That little travesty got all the "smarter" people thinking that droplets of lead were in the air.

And no politics need for that or my most recent comment.

Dec 10, 2005
What we've got so far points to vaccines probably reduce transmission. More data is needed before that can be said definitively though.
More data is definitely needed; however, people that get vaccinated should still take precautions, such as meeting others outside, social distancing, and wearing masks. Vaccination should be treated as a part of a comprehensive mitigation plan, not as a silver bullet to replace other mitigation strategies.

Reactions: Spacehead and K1052

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
More data is definitely needed; however, people that get vaccinated should still take precautions, such as meeting others outside, social distancing, and wearing masks. Vaccination should be treated as a part of a comprehensive mitigation plan, not as a silver bullet to replace other mitigation strategies.

People are going to have to be realistic. Vaccinated people are not going to follow these rules any more than they are today, TX basically never has, and most likely many will drop all precautions. Even the CDC changed guidance so that vaccinated people no longer need to quarantine after exposure.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/clinical-considerations.html
However, vaccinated persons with an exposure to someone with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 are not required to quarantine if they meet all of the following criteria:
  • Are fully vaccinated (i.e., ≥2 weeks following receipt of the second dose in a 2-dose series, or ≥2 weeks following receipt of one dose of a single-dose vaccine)
  • Are within 3 months following receipt of the last dose in the series
  • Have remained asymptomatic since the current COVID-19 exposure

Continuing to tell an already tired and/or skeptical public to continue these measures even after vaccination is going to do nothing but alienate more people and could cause a further breakdown in following the guidelines. Instead we should be telling people once they can prove vaccination you are exempted from these regulations and maybe get some of those skeptical anti-vax people onboard.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I think the CDC making recommendation like that is dumb. Everyone is already weaseling out of quarantining and there is tons of pressure to not do it from employers. Now people who are uncomfortable have an even weaker case to protect themselves and others and have to argue about details of their vaccination, as if their leverage wasn't already terrible as is.

Of course if you're thinking ahead there is an easy defense against this: Just lie and say you haven't received the vaccine yet.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Is that what you said when it wasn't "airborne"?

That little travesty got all the "smarter" people thinking that droplets of lead were in the air.

And no politics need for that or my most recent comment.
You are a lovely prick aren't you. At the time - many in medicine were extremely concerned about fomite transmission. They were wrong, hence so were my comments.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Continuing to tell an already tired and/or skeptical public to continue these measures even after vaccination is going to do nothing but alienate more people and could cause a further breakdown in following the guidelines. Instead we should be telling people once they can prove vaccination you are exempted from these regulations and maybe get some of those skeptical anti-vax people onboard.
I have to disagree. I don't believe in pandemic fatigue. I don't have any at all. I'm not saying it isn't around, but encouraging it is vile and unforgivable. People should be encouraged to mask up and social distance, avoid gathering indoors in dangerous conditions (or at all when possible), being cautious outside their bubbles... vaccinated or not until conditions warrant altering directives. We are not in the least out of the woods. There are two positive developments:

1. 40+ million doses of mRNA vaccine have been jabbed into shoulders in the USA
2. Metrics are improving

However, much more contagious strains are quickly taking over and some are possibly more virulent.

"Anti-vaxxers" are brain dead.

We should do NOTHING to give the wink to "pandemic fatigue." NOTHING!

And dig, "normal" is a fixation concept, pure and simple."

Last edited:

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I'm 10 days past dose #2 (Pfizer), so I should be good, or at least really close to maximum protection I will have.

It is still not clear I just won't "get" COVID, vs. not becoming sick if I do acquire the virus. There is some thought a fully vaccinated person can transmit the virus, thus the three W's will continue.

So until my wife reaches her full protection (she is between doses) it is business as usual, i.e. stay home, curbside groceries, etc., etc.

Reactions: Captante

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
However, vaccinated persons with an exposure to someone with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 are not required to quarantine if they meet all of the following criteria:
  • Are fully vaccinated (i.e., ≥2 weeks following receipt of the second dose in a 2-dose series, or ≥2 weeks following receipt of one dose of a single-dose vaccine)
  • Are within 3 months following receipt of the last dose in the series
  • Have remained asymptomatic since the current COVID-19 exposure

Wow. If you do the math with this, it turns out you have about 10 weeks - 10 whole weeks during which you won't have to quarantine if exposed.I know it will be hard not to just go crazy during those few weeks. I'd better make note of those dates on my calendar. Don't judge me too harshly if I don't get all excited about this.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
I have to disagree. I don't believe in pandemic fatigue. I don't have any at all. I'm not saying it isn't around, but encouraging it is vile and unforgivable. People should be encouraged to mask up and social distance, avoid gathering indoors in dangerous conditions (or at all when possible), being cautious outside their bubbles... vaccinated or not until conditions warrant altering directives. We are not in the least out of the woods. There are two positive developments:

1. 40+ million doses of mRNA vaccine have been jabbed into shoulders in the USA
2. Metrics are improving

However, much more contagious strains are quickly taking over and some are possibly more virulent.

"Anti-vaxxers" are brain dead.

We should do NOTHING to give the wink to "pandemic fatigue." NOTHING!

And dig, "normal" is a fixation concept, pure and simple."

I don't believe in "pandemic fatigue" either, just a fancy way to say people are only going to do something they don't want to do for so long before ignoring whatever they are being told to do. And since we are not willing to weld people into their houses we will never stop those that decide to do whatever they want. I am already haring arguments from people that used to be pro vaccine going negative because "if I still get sick then what is the point of the vaccine, there is something they are not telling us" then they start going all nutty. This line that is being pushed is going to come back to haunt us like when the gov said masks don't work a year ago.

And yes, anti-vaxxers are brain dead if you want to put it nicely.

Wow. If you do the math with this, it turns out you have about 10 weeks - 10 whole weeks during which you won't have to quarantine if exposed.I know it will be hard not to just go crazy during those few weeks. I'd better make note of those dates on my calendar. Don't judge me too harshly if I don't get all excited about this.

The three months is because that is the length of time they have data from the trial participants. Since we are still being monitored the 3 month window will expand assuming we don't start getting sick.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
I know I am tired of the pandemic precautions - masks, social distancing, no gatherings, no travel, no being with relatives, disinfecting, quarantining, etc. Does that mean I'm going to stop taking those precautions? No. Does it mean I feel more and more like complaining about them. Yes.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I will continue to do (for the present time and foreseeable future) what I have been doing for the last few months. Mask + social distance + cleaning + other good hygiene practices. Been working well for me so far (crossing fingers). I won't stop until after the virus is gone and things are back to normal (no more new cases of infection).

Last edited:

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
I will continue to do (for the present time and foreseeable future) what I have been doing for the last few months. Mask + social distance + cleaning + other good hygiene practices. Been working well for me so far (crossing fingers). I won't stop until after the virus is gone and things are back to normal (no more new cases of infection).

Just curious. When you say when the virus is gone, do you mean gone as in extinct or just not a perceived threat? If the latter, what does that look like to you?

Five minutes of Olsterhom on variants might be of interest (starting at 17 min):

Reactions: Muse

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Just curious. When you say when the virus is gone, do you mean gone as in extinct or just not a perceived threat? If the latter, what does that look like to you?

Five minutes of Olsterhom on variants might be of interest (starting at 17 min):

I mean it as the annual flu. Humans still need to get vaccine(s) to keep the darn virus in check but it won't be so much nasty as it is now.

I don't think it will be gone as extinct. And there are other viruses lurking around waiting for their turn.

Last edited:

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
I mean it as the annual flu. Humans still need to get vaccine(s) to keep the darn virus in check but it won't be so much nasty as it is now.

I don't think it will be gone as extinct. And there are other viruses lurking around waiting for their turn.

Certainly seems like a likely outcome. Virologists chasing the variants year after year.

Each year we all move up a notch with respect to risk groups. Shite.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Certainly seems like a likely outcome. Virologists chasing the variants year after year.

I don't think it is going to be quite that bad. The worst part about this one is that no one had any exposure to mitigate the spread for the first year. The levels of sickness people got widely varied but heavily skewed to somewhere between a cold and a flu. Yeah there is a portion of the population that is more susceptible and those people are going to take the brunt of this thing unfortunately but the second time around seems to generally be found to be almost a non-event for most cases. After a couple years of this pretty much everyone will have been exposed either through infection or vaccination and that will attenuate future illnesses. We may need a booster for a variant or two but just limiting the spread will limit the number of new variants that are created. We should be able to get ahead of it, it's never going away completely though.

I think in 10 years COVID-19 will not be a major concern at all, at least not any more of a concern than the flu but it shouldn't mutate nearly as much.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003

I saw the National Geographic story about Virus Hunter and how humans are getting closer and closer to wild animals in their habitats = asking them viruses in the wild to visit and wreck havoc on us.

Imagine a new virus with the ability to spread as fast as Covid and as deathly as Ebola/Black Death.. Resident Evil/28 Days Later but real? Yike. x 1000000000

Last edited:

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
I don't think it is going to be quite that bad. The worst part about this one is that no one had any exposure to mitigate the spread for the first year. The levels of sickness people got widely varied but heavily skewed to somewhere between a cold and a flu. Yeah there is a portion of the population that is more susceptible and those people are going to take the brunt of this thing unfortunately but the second time around seems to generally be found to be almost a non-event for most cases. After a couple years of this pretty much everyone will have been exposed either through infection or vaccination and that will attenuate future illnesses. We may need a booster for a variant or two but just limiting the spread will limit the number of new variants that are created. We should be able to get ahead of it, it's never going away completely though.

I think in 10 years COVID-19 will not be a major concern at all, at least not any more of a concern than the flu but it shouldn't mutate nearly as much.

Well, I"ll get back with you in a decade :). Just messing with you.

Seems like the the one outcome whose likelihood has tanked is that of the virus never mutating, vaccines remaining effective at near 100%, herd immunity in months and life back to normal.

Personally, I don't see covid becoming like flu type illness number two as that much of a win. Flu kills a bunch of folks every year. Doubling that amount is not insignificant. Not as bad as traffic deaths doubling, but still not a W.

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
I saw the National Geographic story about Virus Hunter and how humans are getting closer and closer to wild animals in their habitats = asking them viruses in the wild to visit and wreck havoc on us.

Imagine a new virus with the ability to spread as fast as Covid and as deathly as Ebola/Black Death.. Resident Evil/28 Days Later but real? Yike. x 1000000000

Even if covid had been exactly the same, except for it being as lethal to every age as for those aged 65 for example. Babies, kids, teenagers, young mothers being lost at that rate.

Think society has gone bonkers now?

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Personally, I don't see covid becoming like flu type illness number two as that much of a win. Flu kills a bunch of folks every year. Doubling that amount is not insignificant. Not as bad as traffic deaths doubling, but still not a W.

Agreed, I think it will settle somewhere less than the flu though and potentially much less. The unfortunate part is that while for the majority of people it will probably just be a little thing for those few that are super susceptible it will be a constant roll of the dice and a reason for us to have viable treatments.