NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 539 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Can I dump the bag of muffins out tomorrow and eat them or should I wait a few days or just toss the whole thing?

Side note. I asked my mother 70+ years old with diabetes and had a heart attack a few years ago and my sister who is obese with several autoimmune diseases and HBP if they signed up to get the vaccine and they both said no. They thought that it might not be safe.

Dec 31, 2020 — Currently, no cases of COVID-19 have been identified where infection was thought to have occurred by touching food, food packaging, or shopping bags.

Sorry about your mom and sister. There's only so much you can do. Now you just have to hope they don't come down with it.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
What vaccines have real long term side effects, besides not dying of a preventable disease?

Taking Tylenol chronically can blow out your liver, but I doubt that stops many people from taking it. People pound energy drinks and supplements like candy even though they have basically zero regulation and definitely no proven benefits, but yeah, vaccines, the savior of billions of children, that's what we all need to be very cautious about. Meanwhile, let's go drink some Mexican liquor and get some big macs, because it's not like either of those have a 1 in a million shot of doing long term damage.

Never heard of cases like "Cutter Incident" and others ? -
Now I am not saying these new COVID vaccines will be like that but you never know. And yes, I will take the vaccine(s) when it is available.

I don't do energy drinks and supplements (waste of money and not working imo) and I don't drink alcohol and not into burgers so those points are moot.

Now if you want to take away my regular soft drinks (not those diet weak sauce) and spicy fried foods such as chicken breasts from Popeyes?.... from my dead cold hands... :D

Last edited:

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Never heard of cases like "Cutter Incident" and others ? -
Now I am not saying these new COVID vaccines will be like that but you never know. And yes, I will take the vaccine(s) when it is available.

I don't do energy drinks and supplements (waste of money and not working imo) and I don't drink alcohol and not into burgers so those points are moot.

Now if you want to take away my regular soft drinks (not those diet weak sauce) and spicy fried foods such as chicken breasts from Popeyes?.... from my dead cold hands... :D
Yes, yes we do know. Those incidents you mentioned involved live, attenuated virus. Virus that had been weakened to make the vaccine (typically through irradiation or chemical means), so the body sees the virus and learns to fight it off. Those viruses can mutate in vivo into a lore virulent form, since its basically "damaged" virus.

This vaccine isn't that. A virus is a protein capsid that acts as a delivery vehicle for DNA or RNA, which encode to have the host cell produce intact viral capsids (any virologists feel free to elaborate).

This vaccine doesn't have that capability. Its a modified RNA strand that allows your body to make the spike protein. Your body makes the protein, recognizes it as hostile, and mounts an immune response. Theres no way for this virus to generate a competent coronavirus; it simply doesn't have the code. As for long term effects, the mRNA doesn't really last long enough in the body, and its not able to interact with your DNA to change anything.

Overall, the long-term safety profile should be excellent.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Never heard of cases like "Cutter Incident" and others?

That happened in the 1950s with a weaken virus vaccine. Also not a "long term" effect, or at least not one that laid dormant. It was an nearly immediate effect with long term consequences for many. Still, my uncle that had wild polio had long term consequences, my other uncles and mom (and virtually everyone else I know) who got the vaccine don't.

The current vaccines could never have a cutter incident, and the regulations and oversight have massively improved since the 1950s.

Pointing to the Cutter Incident for reason to be scared of vaccines would be like pointing to the safety record of the DeHavilland Comet as a reason to be scared of aircraft. (Actually much worse, since the comet was a design flaw and airplanes do still crash from time to time. While Cutter was an manufacturing mistake and there have basically been no similar incidents in the US since over billions of vaccine doses given since then.

I promise, that Coke you are drinking and fried chicken has a much higher chance of doing long term health damage to you than these vaccines.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
That happened in the 1950s with a weaken virus vaccine. Also not a "long term" effect, or at least not one that laid dormant. It was an nearly immediate effect with long term consequences for many. Still, my uncle that had wild polio had long term consequences, my other uncles and mom (and virtually everyone else I know) who got the vaccine don't.

The current vaccines could never have a cutter incident, and the regulations and oversight have massively improved since the 1950s.

Pointing to the Cutter Incident for reason to be scared of vaccines would be like pointing to the safety record of the DeHavilland Comet as a reason to be scared of aircraft. (Actually much worse, since the comet was a design flaw and airplanes do still crash from time to time. While Cutter was an manufacturing mistake and there have basically been no similar incidents in the US since over billions of vaccine doses given since then.

I promise, that Coke you are drinking and fried chicken has a much higher chance of doing long term health damage to you than these vaccines.

Humm..if you did read the link I posted, you would be able to see this...not just in 1950's.

As recently as 2017, a vaccine supposed to combat dengue fever actually was shown to cause a worse form of the disease.
The list goes on: As much as 30 percent of polio vaccines were contaminated with simian virus for eight years. The swine flu vaccine increased risk of Guillain-Barré Syndrome. The 2009 H1N1 influenza vaccine caused narcolepsy in some patients.
Again, I am NOT saying the sky is falling and the vaccines are bad and all that. I still take the vaccine as I said above. Just my skeptical self.

Yes, I know about those soft drinks and fried foods are not good for my health. I am trying to cut back (moderation) and so far, a few pounds are gone but a few more to go but the taste = soooooo...good.

Last edited:

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Humm..if you did read the link I posted, you would be able to see this...not just in 1950's.

Again, I am NOT saying the sky is falling and the vaccines are bad and all that. I still take the vaccine as I said above. Just my skeptical self.

Yes, I know about those soft drinks and fried foods are not good for my health. I am trying to cut back and so far, a few pounds are gone but a few more to go but the taste = soooooo...good.
Didn't they find the issue with the Dengue vaccine during the trials? The GBS with the swine flu vaccine was extremely raw and the vaccine was pulled. The Simian virus was again in the 60s, and regulations have been updated since then, it doesn't appear to be long term effects from it either.

I'm not saying that nothing can go wrong with a vaccine, but I have yet to see any evidence of any vaccine causing an issue years after the fact. It is almost always an immediate issue. If there was going to be widespread GBS with these vaccines, we would almost certainly know by now.

Again, we've given billions and billions of vaccine doses in the last 70 years, and the anti-vaxxers have a small handful of issues to point at as reasons to be scared. Usually while pushing homeopathic bullshit that is far more dangerous.

Dec 10, 2005
Didn't they find the issue with the Dengue vaccine during the trials? The GBS with the swine flu vaccine was extremely raw and the vaccine was pulled. The Simian virus was again in the 60s, and regulations have been updated since then, it doesn't appear to be long term effects from it either.

I'm not saying that nothing can go wrong with a vaccine, but I have yet to see any evidence of any vaccine causing an issue years after the fact. It is almost always an immediate issue. If there was going to be widespread GBS with these vaccines, we would almost certainly know by now.

Again, we've given billions and billions of vaccine doses in the last 70 years, and the anti-vaxxers have a small handful of issues to point at as reasons to be scared. Usually while pushing homeopathic bullshit that is far more dangerous.
For the one vaccine closer to the current date: that H1N1 vaccine was only approved and used in eastern Europe (there were multiple vaccines for that pandemic, so it's inappropriate to refer to it in some singular, monolithic sense).

The idea that we're arguing about hypothetical (and often far-fetched) ideas about vaccine safety is kind of insane. The vaccine does not exist in a vacuum. There is a raging pandemic killing thousands a day in the US. All medications are a risk/benefit, and the trials show that the risks are far and away outweighed by the benefits.

The data is there for anyone to look at - it's not skepticism to JAQ off about other, historic and frankly, completely different incidents that just happened to involve a vaccine.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Thanks. It's almost freezing out and cloudy so I can't really leave it outside. Also plenty of shady folks waking by all the time. I will be toasting the muffins so that's a good thing.

Thanks. Normally I would toss them but I eat pretty much the same thing everyday so they are a bit of a treat for me. Two days before she dropped off some fruit that I've already eaten. I was only around her for a few seconds getting a few bags out of the back of her vehicle so hopefully I wasn't exposed much since we were outside.
It's like the plastic shields in grocery stores. If it were to protect customers from cashiers, they're literally handling everything we buy. It's just a person to person sneeze guard while you're waiting to pay.

Reactions: balloonshark

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Still no signs of vaccine availability for my mom. The PH Dept sends out emails with updates, and the last 1 we received on Friday said our county was allotted the 2nd worst allocation per capita in the state. I've signed up for alerts for her and I've yet to even see an alert that we can schedule.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Still no signs of vaccine availability for my mom. The PH Dept sends out emails with updates, and the last 1 we received on Friday said our county was allotted the 2nd worst allocation per capita in the state. I've signed up for alerts for her and I've yet to even see an alert that we can schedule.
Can you sign her up in other counties? In Oklahoma is someone is willing to drive it's fairly easy to get a spot. The ones near real cities fill up within minutes, but there are locations in the sticks that take days to fill up.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
OK, so, I figure some people watching this thread know a lot about virology. So, here's a question:

It's generally believed that there are myriad (well, at least many) extraterrestrial intelligent civilizations throughout the universe. Is it very likely that they too are plagued by viruses?

A related question, that's certainly gotten thought and treatment is how did viruses develop on earth?

Last edited:

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Fake money, fake bags, fake shoes...etc.

Now it is....fake COVID tests -

smh

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Can you sign her up in other counties? In Oklahoma is someone is willing to drive it's fairly easy to get a spot. The ones near real cities fill up within minutes, but there are locations in the sticks that take days to fill up.

My dad signed her up in the surrounding counties and hasn't heard a word from anyone yet.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Wherever you are buying ice cream from, stop going there.
I've been working on a 1/2 gallon of Trader Joe's French Vanilla for close to 2 years. I'm down to maybe 5 ounces. I'll buy another when vaccinated. Am also down to 5 bottles of 2 1/2 buck Chuck Cab from TJ's, that will do me until then. :colbert: I'm not Jonesing for anything.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I've been working on a 1/2 gallon of Trader Joe's French Vanilla for close to 2 years. I'm down to maybe 5 ounces. I'll buy another when vaccinated. Am also down to 5 bottles of 2 1/2 buck Chuck Cab, that will do me until then. :colbert:

you may as well make your own lol

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Texas is similar in that you can sign up at any "vaccine hub" in the state. Which is why I'm driving 3 hours each way to get my shots. The metro areas got shorted per capita on dose allocations and the wait lists are nuts. But if you're able and willing to take a little excursion you can get doses.