NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 534 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
How effective is the Johnson & Johnson vaccine? One dose sounds cool but I figure for myself I'm wanting a highly effective vaccine, e.g. P or M. I mean 95% inspires confidence.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
How effective is the Johnson & Johnson vaccine? One dose sounds cool but I figure for myself I'm wanting a highly effective vaccine, e.g. P or M. I mean 95% inspires confidence.

They haven't announced the results of the trial but apparently that will be soon. Don't expect 90s, more likely is like 70s-80s which is still very good.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
So my mom tested positive 2 weeks ago but never had any symptoms. Dad either. We were pretty worried as they're both in their mid-80s.

They posted a notice at work... we can sign up for the vaccine. I'll do that soon but who knows how long it'll actually be before we get it. It's the Pfizer one apparently.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
I don't I phrased that clearly. I meant are they letting everyone that got the placebo get the real shot right now, or only those people that could go get a real outside of the program (i.e. phase 1B but not phase 3). Edit, I should've read your whole post before I responded.

In other news, my wife just signed up for the Novavax trial. I was going to do it, but decided it was better for me to keep donating platelets.

I wasn't completely clear either. They are vaccinating everyone in order of priority, they are done with the people in the phases open to the public so are moving on to the next group which is essential workers. I imagine everyone else will be after that. So they are following the recommended order of things just when your pool of people is less than 300 in a metro area of 6 million plus that list gets taken care of really quickly by comparison. I imagine other areas of the country may have a longer wait list as there were over 20k people with the placebo in the Pfizer trial.

Reactions: Zorba
Feb 4, 2009
So my mom tested positive 2 weeks ago but never had any symptoms. Dad either. We were pretty worried as they're both in their mid-80s.

They posted a notice at work... we can sign up for the vaccine. I'll do that soon but who knows how long it'll actually be before we get it. It's the Pfizer one apparently.

Yeah it went thru a friend of mine family.
His wife was close to bedridden for 4(ish) days then very sick of about a week more.
He never got really sick but is three weeks in and still has minor symptoms.
His kids all got sick and recovered quickly.
Honestly it is terrifying how fast it spreads thru a household. Five people infected and symptomatic within 48 hours.

Reactions: Captante

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
It looks like the latest surge in Arizona is starting back down. This one started in early October.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
my grandparents are going to go in for the shot this weekend

problem is, there's 25000 octogenarians here but only 2500 vaccines available

it might turn into a slow-paced hunger games where you can only use canes and walkers as weapons

Reactions: CZroe

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
They haven't announced the results of the trial but apparently that will be soon. Don't expect 90s, more likely is like 70s-80s which is still very good.
70-80 may be good enough to quash the pandemic but won't give me confidence that if I'm exposed I won't wind up sick as a dog or dead. I want P or M. Seems to me they should give the J&J to lower risk profile individuals.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
seems like the moderna is on temporary pause because people be getting severe allergic reactions.
I heard it was only one batch. Also, just some people, not an overwhelming amount. It wouldn't stop me from taking it.

330,000 doses! That might explain why the supply's so low in spite of only 40% of the doses received have been administered. I was wondering WTH happened to the other 60% shipped to CA. Have heard no word concerning that.

Heard that the bulk of the doses shipped to CA have gone to southern CA, with a "dearth" of doses going to northern CA.

Last edited:

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i think i would be eligible to get it in february

but i might just wait till summer or whenever, even though i would so love to go anywhere for the first time in 10 months

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
i think i would be eligible to get it in february

but i might just wait till summer or whenever, even though i would so love to go anywhere for the first time in 10 months
I'd get the vaccine as soon as you can, but still mask up. I'm going to be masking it and getting the vaccine annually for the next few years until this thing mostly disappears.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I heard it was only one batch. Also, just some people, not an overwhelming amount. It wouldn't stop me from taking it.

330,000 doses! That might explain why the supply's so low in spite of only 40% of the doses received have been administered. I was wondering WTH happened to the other 60% shipped to CA. Have heard no word concerning that.

Heard that the bulk of the doses shipped to CA have gone to southern CA, with a "dearth" of doses going to northern CA.
SF Chronicle this AM says the held Moderna doses are now OKed.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011

My county in the Central Valley got a whopping 2k doses recently. Ran out practically the same day it became available. Signed my parents up to get notified when more become available, but who knows when we'll get them.

Reactions: Muse

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I was wondering WTH happened to the other 60% shipped to CA. Have heard no word concerning that.

i bet they magically disappear, just like our tax money we give them each year.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
There are rumors in Japan that the Olympic could be cancel because there are too many risks. Only 6 more months to go to ensure the virus is subdue.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
There are rumors in Japan that the Olympic could be cancel because there are too many risks. Only 6 more months to go to ensure the virus is subdue.
Sad circumstances for big events. I agree that the logistics are just crazy....but! With the vaccines, they could ask that all participants/athletes get vaccinated and limit attendance...it could work.

Reactions: Captante and Zorba

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Sad circumstances for big events. I agree that the logistics are just crazy....but! With the vaccines, they could ask that all participants/athletes get vaccinated and limit attendance...it could work.

The organizers have about 6 months or so to make it work. The bad thing is they already spent billion and billion to set up the whole thing and if it is canceled, it would hurt a lot financially.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Trying to schedule my vaccine appointment now, things is all f'ed up. The website provides a table of all available appointment slots except that they aren't blocking out the slots already filled so one ends up randomly clicking on hundreds of date/times trying to find an opening. The site also cycles one through three pages between selections before it tells you the slot you picked isn't really available.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
My county in the Central Valley got a whopping 2k doses recently. Ran out practically the same day it became available. Signed my parents up to get notified when more become available, but who knows when we'll get them.
Heard on TV news tonight that an official announcement is expected tomorrow that the CA state guidelines are changing to strictly age based criteria for getting a vaccination. They were no more specific. My guess is that it will be for the time being 75+. I suspect that might be after frontline medical workers, but maybe not.

Kaiser P already announced it was doing frontline, then 75+ the other day, but it's not the official guidelines of the state, just Kaiser's. I heard that the great majority of northern Californians are with Kaiser.

Last edited:

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
The organizers have about 6 months or so to make it work. The bad thing is they already spent billion and billion to set up the whole thing and if it is canceled, it would hurt a lot financially.

As is always the case with the Olympics....host countries always invest in infrastructure and get stuck with the check. Winter Olympics seems to be waaaay worse for creating ghost towns.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
seems like the moderna is on temporary pause because people be getting severe allergic reactions.
These keep happening in clusters. Really makes me think it is something other than the vaccine itself. If it were the vaccine you'd think it would be randomly distributed across every site, not 8 in one day in one location and no where else. The total reaction rate has been around 1 in 100,000, so really not a big deal either way.

California has now released the batch and said there was no reason to withhold them after a review.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
This is what I was thinking. No fans, vaccinate all the athletes and support people. Make the IOC share more of the TV revenue to make up for the lack of ticket sales.

Reactions: Captante