NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 489 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
The positivity rate in my county is now over 20%. Our hospitals are now at maximum capacity.
Look up the positivity rates for Wyoming if you want to your eyes to pop out of their sockets.

I'm not personally willing to wait until late 21 or into 22 for a recombinant subunit vaccine.
Nor should most Americans. But in theory, a patient person could choose between 3 or even 4 approved vaccines before next fall?

Like I said, my buddy isn't an anti-vaxxer and he understands the topic well enough. He just objects to anything DNA-related with no prior track record to bank on. I personally don't think society has much choice in this matter; but like I said, a patient person could hold off a few months longer then the earliest general availability.

If I'm not mistaken, Moderna is quoting $36 per dose. Pfizer's has the well-known cold-chain challenges. So realistically, the AZ/Oxford candidate is the real game changer for the world based on low-cost and simpler, widespread distribution.

I wonder if at $36 per dose, Moderna is realistically able to sell 1B doses in 2021? But that's really a concern for their shareholders, as it looks like the world will have options.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Nor should most Americans. But in theory, a patient person could choose between 3 or even 4 approved vaccines before next fall?

Like I said, my buddy isn't an anti-vaxxer and he understands the topic well enough. He just objects to anything DNA-related with no prior track record to bank on. I personally don't think society has much choice in this matter; but like I said, a patient person could hold off a few months longer then the earliest general availability.

Yes a person could wait but I'm not. If international travel is an option next year many places I want to go will certainly require proof of vaccination. My expectation is that I'll probably be dosed with Pfizer's mRNA vaccine when the time comes. I don't have any real worries about the platform.

If I'm not mistaken, Moderna is quoting $36 per dose. Pfizer's has the well-known cold-chain challenges. So realistically, the AZ/Oxford candidate is the real game changer for the world based on low-cost and simpler, widespread distribution.

The adenovirus vector vaccines are more easily produced at scale and are fridge stable so yes it makes things a lot simpler for the rest of the planet if they work.

I wonder if at $36 per dose, Moderna is realistically able to sell 1B doses in 2021? But that's really a concern for their shareholders, as it looks like the world will have options.

Since it's a two dose regimen yeah I think they'll have little problem selling a billion doses next year. They'll sell everything they can deliver. I think purchase commitments and options from the US/EU/AUS/NZ/etc already cover that easily.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Speaking of China... wonder how they are doing these days, don't hear much. For all we know all hell could be breaking loose overthere.

I recall hearing that they got it under control and were doing well but kind of have to take what they say with a grain of salt. If it's bad here I can't see how it's not even worse overthere too, way denser population.

Found this and I kinda doubt these numbers lol:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Speaking of China... wonder how they are doing these days, don't hear much. For all we know all hell could be breaking loose overthere.

I recall hearing that they got it under control and were doing well but kind of have to take what they say with a grain of salt. If it's bad here I can't see how it's not even worse overthere too, way denser population.

Found this and I kinda doubt these numbers lol:

China has a lid on it now but they certainly didn't when things began and the attempt to cover it up made the situation worse. My take is that there were probably WAY more deaths but they have control now.

Reactions: Ajay

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The absolute last thing I care about is what journalist think of a scientific question. Nor do I really care what someone like Fauci says unless it's in the context of an actual study with specifics mentioned.

Like - the concept of saying a restaurant is ok - but a bar is BAAAAAAAD is quite hilarious. One simply serves food and the other one doesn't. I suspect what they are referring to are certain types of bars that are more club-ish and not just a bar that serves alcohol.

A lot of these types of questions require a variety of questions to be answered in order to study - but it seems like people are generalizing and fear-mongering instead of sticking to facts.

yes, basically we already know that you will only ever see what you want to see. I'm not sure why you continue to ask questions to which you will never honestly receive the answers.

Mar 11, 2004
After getting laughed at for being Turmp level stupid in P&N, guess Qubbles 'n Bits are gonna try to once again revise their history of being fucking dumbasses in this thread.

Plus who fucking cares about China when the US is back to being king shit of moron mountain.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Our governor (NH) is requiring masking in indoor public spaces (stores, etc.) and outside (IIRC) at public events. We've had a 50% rise in cases and no one in government cares to carry the burden of more serious illness and death. I think our positivity rate is now over 5%, but we still need to be doing more testing (IMO).

Schools are going back full remote. The problem isn't the kids, it's the teachers and staff. If one teacher pops positive, then all the adults he/she came in contact with need to quarantine for two weeks. With the lack of qualified subs, it's becoming a nightmare. Teachers teaching remotely often don't have adequate hardware/internet bandwidth to effectively teach remotely (not to mention students with poorer families). The school system was supposed to rectify the hardware situation with a large order of well equipped laptops for teachers order this summer, but the shipment has been delayed due to heavy demand.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Pretty sure a company like Ford has to political muscle to get the allotments they need. Well, at least under the current admin.

Sounds about right. Though American's definition of "essential workers" is pretty nebulous on purpose I think. The guy making my burrito bowl at Chipotle is apparently as important as the people running the water filtration plant.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Sounds about right. Though American's definition of "essential workers" is pretty nebulous on purpose I think. The guy making my burrito bowl at Chipotle is apparently as important as the people running the water filtration plant.
LOL, and sad. Yeah, we are such a weird country; not that others don't have their own issues (unless you're S. Korea).

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

Meanwhile the guy who owns a local burrito shop is not essential and has to close his business.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Slaoui thinks that AZ's US phase 3 will probably have results soonish due to the extraordinary amount of virus circulating in the US.

Both good news and terrible news...

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I know nausea, vomiting and diahrrea are some symptoms, but is stomach pain a symptom too? Got to work today and my stomach is just hurting. Had the runs when it first hit, then I tried to make myself throw up to feel better but I just dry heaved so nothing productive. I'm on a regimen of tums and pepto right now, but my stomach is still churning. Otherwise, I think I might just have food poisoning. The pain isn't super severe, but man it hasn't hurt this bad in recent memory.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I know nausea, vomiting and diahrrea are some symptoms, but is stomach pain a symptom too? Got to work today and my stomach is just hurting. Had the runs when it first hit, then I tried to make myself throw up to feel better but I just dry heaved so nothing productive. I'm on a regimen of tums and pepto right now, but my stomach is still churning. Otherwise, I think I might just have food poisoning. The pain isn't super severe, but man it hasn't hurt this bad in recent memory.

Doesn't sound out of line with COVID gastro symptoms but there are certainly other possibilities.

Could just be sketchy food and gas pains.

Reactions: thestrangebrew1

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Pretty sure a company like Ford has to political muscle to get the allotments they need. Well, at least under the current admin.

Personally, I'd like to see equipment for vaccine storage and vaccines going out to hospitals and doctors offices but hey... gotta keep manufacturing running! Capitalism FTW!

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Welp my parents have it. They contracted it from a family member who was asymptomatic when they were visiting. The family member proceeded to show symptoms the day after the visit.

Mom is on day 12 of symptoms, dad is on day 11 of symptoms.

Dad has had a fever on and off (never exceeding 102 °F), a lot of exhaustion, and a moderate cough. His symptoms have been steady and consistent the whole time.

Mom had weird headaches for a few days, a lot of exhaustion, no fever, mild cough, and has lost her sense of taste and smell.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Welp my parents have it. They contracted it from a family member who was asymptomatic when they were visiting. The family member proceeded to show symptoms the day after the visit.

Dad has had a fever on and off (never exceeding 102 °F), a lot of exhaustion, and a moderate cough. His symptoms have been steady and consistent the whole time.

Mom had weird headaches for a few days, a lot of exhaustion, no fever, mild cough, and has lost her sense of taste and smell.

Damn that sucks. Hope they improve soon.

Reactions: Roger Wilco

H T C

Nov 7, 2018

And this is why traveling for the coming holiday is a BAD IDEA.

Reactions: Roger Wilco