NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 488 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I had a quiet Thanksgiving planned with my ex and younger daughter but now daughter isn't coming back from school until Christmas break so we cancelled. *(I will still be picking up a plate of food on t-day)

Same kind of stuff happened in autumn 1918 on Thanksgiving although to be fair they had way more of an excuse with WWI have just ended.

The virus was unmoved however and a few weeks later along came the weeks real peak of the pandemic.

:(

We had already nixed all family stuff a while ago. Nobody in my immediate family is seeing each other either which is also good. Keeping everybody away from my elderly parents is the priority.

Husband and I are having one local friend over on Thursday. We've all limited our contacts by switching to delivery and curbside for the last week. It's a risk I acknowledge even being careful.

Reactions: Captante
Feb 4, 2009
I had a quiet Thanksgiving planned with my ex and younger daughter but now daughter isn't coming back from school until Christmas break so we cancelled. *(I will still be picking up a plate of food on t-day)

Same kind of stuff happened in 1918 on Thanksgiving although to be fair they had way more of an excuse to be going stir-crazy with WWI having just ended.

The virus was unmoved however and a few weeks later along came the real peak of the pandemic.

:(

My Wife was around someone who has been diagnosed COVID positive. She was around them for a brief period so no major worries at this time. I was hoping we could just stay in for a few days then see my Parents on Thanksgiving. Starting to think one tiny hole in the plan will ruin it.

• Wow
Feb 4, 2009
We had already nixed all family stuff a while ago. Nobody in my immediate family is seeing each other either which is also good. Keeping everybody away from my elderly parents is the priority.

Husband and I are having one local friend over on Thursday. We've all limited our contacts by switching to delivery and curbside for the last week. It's a risk I acknowledge even being careful.

I assumed you were a dude, don’t know why but I have.
If you are a dude with a husband I find that cool also.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
The H1N1 vaccine you referenced was an inactivated virus-based vaccine. There are a number of ways to make a vaccine. Just because you don't know the specific type doesn't mean it was some bad or novel type.

I don't think you need to worry about any vaccine ever causing such a ridiculous adverse event. First, while these vaccines may get EUA eventually, they aren't approved yet. And it's not like there is no data to back up the safety and efficacy: these things will be reviewed by experts before any authorization is granted. In fact, those steps are the opposite of throwing caution to the wind.

And if you didn't notice, confirmed COVID-19 has killed 250,000+ Americans. I think the accelerated timeline and review is currently warranted.

A lot of things kill 250,000+ Americans and I didn't say an accelerated timeline was not warranted. Perhaps you should stop assuming and just realize the sooner we can get a good vaccine out, the sooner the media can move on to something else....like reporting on the outbreak of 3rd eyes appearing on peoples skulls. emot_smileydance.gif

Nov 8, 2012
Record number of flyers since the start of COVID. 2 weeks after Thanksgiving is definitely going to be interesting heh. Buckle up

Dec 10, 2005
A lot of things kill 250,000+ Americans and I didn't say an accelerated timeline was not warranted. Perhaps you should stop assuming and just realize the sooner we can get a good vaccine out, the sooner the media can move on to something else....like reporting on the outbreak of 3rd eyes appearing on peoples skulls. View attachment 34417
Way to minimize thousands of relatively preventable deaths.

If you don't want your posts questioned, don't post stupid shit.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
A lot of things kill 250,000+ Americans and I didn't say an accelerated timeline was not warranted. Perhaps you should stop assuming and just realize the sooner we can get a good vaccine out, the sooner the media can move on to something else....like reporting on the outbreak of 3rd eyes appearing on peoples skulls. View attachment 34417

Sure you did. You justified your disinformation by characterizing the alternative as "reckless abandon" and not proceeding with caution.

Pretty freakin' clear.

Reactions: Brainonska511

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
So you disagree, I get it. We need to make sure we are cautious and careful with the vaccine rollout and closely monitor those that get it. And that was my whole point.

You guys need to chill.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It's great to see all this good news about a vaccine. I do believe it's still important to be careful and slightly concerned there could be any adverse side effects, but here's hoping there are no issues and that it is effective and safe. From my understanding Canada has a couple million doses lined up that should be ready by January. My guess is healthcare workers and the elderly in nursing homes will probably be the first to get it, then it will slowly trickle down to rest of population by priority. I don't expect it to be fully available by end of 2021, it's a logistical challenge to deliver a vaccine to so many people all at once because of refrigeration requirements etc.

Feb 4, 2009
Oxford’s adenovirus vector vaccine works. A few bucks a dose and stable at fridge temp.

yeah this one seems like good news too, weird how the expectation has been set for 90% effectiveness being the standard. This one seems to work more like a normal vaccine. Effective at keeping you out of the hospital and keeping you alive but not super effective at keeping the virus away.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
yeah this one seems like good news too, weird how the expectation has been set for 90% effectiveness being the standard. This one seems to work more like a normal vaccine. Effective at keeping you out of the hospital and keeping you alive but not super effective at keeping the virus away.

Disease reduction has always been the primary goal but I do doubt that people would be infectious for very long (if they are) after vaccination should they encounter the virus.

Anyway cheap, easy to produce, fridge stable vaccines are what's needed to but the brakes on this in a lot of the world. Bodes well for J&J's similar vaccine too.

Feb 4, 2009
Disease reduction has always been the primary goal but I do doubt that people would be infectious for very long (if they are) after vaccination should they encounter the virus.

Anyway cheap, easy to produce, fridge stable vaccines are what's needed to but the brakes on this in a lot of the world. Bodes well for J&J's similar vaccine too.

yeah an earlier read about it said none of the participants were hospitalized with one or two does. They seem to emphasize that heavily. I’m no expert but sounds like a standard flu vaccine type thing. You may get sick but you won’t get as sick for as long. I am okay with that.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
My Wife was around someone who has been diagnosed COVID positive. She was around them for a brief period so no major worries at this time. I was hoping we could just stay in for a few days then see my Parents on Thanksgiving. Starting to think one tiny hole in the plan will ruin it.

Sort of similar here. My mom was supposed to visit me for Thanksgiving (my dad can't travel due to health issues), but we cancelled. I was around a couple of people at work who were positive, but not for very long.

Still not sure what we're going to do for Christmas. I only know of JetBlue, but I saw that they're filling planes to something like 70% capacity right now (no middle-seats), but will be increasing that to 80%+ in December (filling middle seats). It's ridiculous how irresponsible that is. I'm certainly not flying, and I don't want my parents flying, so I'm thinking about just driving down to see them. It's a 14-hour drive but I'll just go straight through and try to stop just once for a bathroom break.

Dec 10, 2005
Sort of similar here. My mom was supposed to visit me for Thanksgiving (my dad can't travel due to health issues), but we cancelled. I was around a couple of people at work who were positive, but not for very long.

Still not sure what we're going to do for Christmas. I only know of JetBlue, but I saw that they're filling planes to something like 70% capacity right now (no middle-seats), but will be increasing that to 80%+ in December (filling middle seats). It's ridiculous how irresponsible that is. I'm certainly not flying, and I don't want my parents flying, so I'm thinking about just driving down to see them. It's a 14-hour drive but I'll just go straight through and try to stop just once for a bathroom break.
We were thinking about visiting my parents in NY during Christmas, but with my father's health conditions, we all decided that the risk was too great.

I WFH and only go out to the grocery store, but my wife works in a core lab facility at a local university. She gets tested twice per week with a PCR-based test, but she interacts with users that come into the lab space. And though testing can reduce the risk of transmission, it is just a point in time - you could get a negative test and hours or days later be positive when viral loads get high enough. With all that in mind coupled with required isolation periods (either state or employer requirements), we decided to just cancel that trip down. It really sucks, but it would suck a lot more to accidentally get parents sick.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
smaller dose = more effective? wtf? How does that make sense?

I think the working theory is that the smaller dose more effectively primed the immune system for the second larger dose. Kind of amazing that it was discovered because of a mistake.

Maybe this is a quirk of adenovirus based vaccines.

Nov 8, 2012
I think the working theory is that the smaller dose more effectively primed the immune system for the second larger dose. Kind of amazing that it was discovered because of a mistake.

With all this laser focus of every single mega pharma company focusing on this constantly for 9+ months that we develop a lot of new overall insight into how the body/immune systems work in order to better understand and more quickly produce other vaccines in life....

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
smaller dose = more effective? wtf? How does that make sense?

LOL! Watch the Homeopathic folks pretend that this vindicates their quackery. ;)

• Haha

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
As good as any shot at why the half dose then full dose regimen might work better. Still going to need more looking into and testing I think though.

Fauci said it was possible the approach overrides a concern that exists about using two doses of a viral-vectored vaccine — the type AstraZeneca is developing. It uses an adenovirus that has been modified to include genetic material from the SARS-CoV-2 virus so that it introduces the immune system to the spike protein, which sits on the exterior of the virus.

Some experts had feared that if viral-vectored vaccines required a priming and then a boosting dose, the immune system might recognize the viral vector — in this case the adenovirus — and shut down the immune response before the vaccine has a chance to boost the response to the spike protein.

Fauci said the smaller initial dose may “tickle” the immune system enough to generate T cells, but not trigger development of antibodies that might work to suppress the response to the booster shot.

Also as usual:

Fauci cautioned that full datasets — which the Oxford researchers said they intend to publish in a scientific journal — need to be pored over before conclusions can be drawn.

“We’ve got to look at the analyses, the real granular data. It’s always tough when you’re looking at a press release to figure out what’s going on,” Fauci said.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/11/23...e-is-70-effective-on-average-early-data-show/