NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 378 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
Wisconsin's positive test PERCENTAGES have nearly tripled in 2 weeks
View attachment 24205

Anecdotally from what I've seen in Dane County, mask usage seems to be way down. Today, I picked up some takeout for the first time since the shutdown. There were about 12 customers, and I was the only one with a mask (no one was eating). The last time I was in a grocery store, mask usage seemed to be a bit under 50%. Just in time for the upward tick in new cases we're having, with an associated upwards trend in % tests positive.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Anecdotally from what I've seen in Dane County, mask usage seems to be way down. Today, I picked up some takeout for the first time since the shutdown. There were about 12 customers, and I was the only one with a mask (no one was eating). The last time I was in a grocery store, mask usage seemed to be a bit under 50%. Just in time for the upward tick in new cases we're having, with an associated upwards trend in % tests positive.

holy shit. I don't recall any time in the last 3 months where I've seen worse than 1% of mask use. ....and that was pretty much limited to 1 week in NC. (granted, it was closer to 10% there, 3 weeks ago).

Why are people so dumb? Can you tell them to stop being so obliviously stupid?

Nov 8, 2012
To think we could probably have 80% of normal if everybody wore masks but nah we aren't into that.

lol you really think the key to all of these spikes are just rebels that refuse to wear a mask?

Please quit acting like we have a magical key to stop the spread.

I'm all for the whole "wearing the mask" - but that isn't the end-all-be-all to the problems. Cases are ramping up world-wide including in Asian countries where they wear masks religiously.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
holy shit. I don't recall any time in the last 3 months where I've seen worse than 1% of mask use. ....and that was pretty much limited to 1 week in NC. (granted, it was closer to 10% there, 3 weeks ago).

Why are people so dumb? Can you tell them to stop being so obliviously stupid?
The GOP has turned into an anti-science death cult, so the short answer is no.

Reactions: zinfamous

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
lol you really think the key to all of these spikes are just rebels that refuse to wear a mask?
I mean, that's a huge component to it, yes.

It's become pretty obvious that particulate transfer is the largest vector for infection for COVID-19, and limiting that via masks is having a huge effect.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000

I'm all for the whole "wearing the mask" - but that isn't the end-all-be-all to the problems. Cases are ramping up world-wide including in Asian countries where they wear masks religiously.
The magical key is going to be fearing it enough to stay the hell away from each other. The problem is that idiots don't fear the virus enough. It's almost like those who live in the societal bubble that believe nothing bad can ever happen to them...but as soon as they go out into the wild and face real nature, they get eaten by a predator...like a shark or a bear or a rabid emu. Other countries seem to get it, but the US just doesn't.

1593209725677.png

• Haha
Reactions: zinfamous

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I mean, that's a huge component to it, yes.

It's become pretty obvious that particulate transfer is the largest vector for infection for COVID-19, and limiting that via masks is having a huge effect.

Yeah and environment makes a huge difference in transmission. There is a reason they're closing up bars again because you pack a bunch of people in a loud room drinking without masks and talking a lot then the outcome is quite predictable at this point. Bars and clubs were identified early as trouble spots in Asia. Our refusal to learn from others doesn't change the facts.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Yeah and environment makes a huge difference in transmission. There is a reason they're closing up bars again because you pack a bunch of people in a loud room drinking without masks and talking a lot then the outcome is quite predictable at this point. Bars and clubs were identified early as trouble spots in Asia. Our refusal to learn from others doesn't change the facts.
The ones in asia with pain rooms are the worst because people gasp a lot.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
My buddy who lives in Ft. Lauderdale just sent a video to us in a whatsapp group chat of him and 2 other guys taking a birthday shot at a bar. And he got the waitress in there too and she's not wearing a mask.

#winning

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
My buddy who lives in Ft. Lauderdale just sent a video to us in a whatsapp group chat of him and 2 other guys taking a birthday shot at a bar. And he got the waitress in there too and she's not wearing a mask.

#winning

Ooof

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
I think a large part of the problem is that we didn't really have a first wave in earnest in WI and that got taken for granted. I think we're going to have one now. Mask usage at the grocery stores I go to was probably 75% or more until recently. Which, from what I've heard, would be high enough to really slow the spread.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
meh, I’ll play a deplorable.

That’s fake news from Liberal Cuck Reporting.
Seen it. Word is that they results are "manipulated" because the people surveying were not allowed to ask if you participated in the protest.

I would think that they don't have to ask that to see if there is an uptick related to the protests.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Saw on Australian news that in several bars, people hang out up close and no mask. Just like ole time.

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011

From the countries that - I know of - wearing masks religiously.

today
Thailand +4
Hong Kong +3
Japan +87
SK +39
Singapore + 219
Malaysia +6
Vietnam +1

I would said they're doing pretty fine.

I haven't seen 1 study that say mask don't help at all, you?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
From the countries that - I know of - wearing masks religiously.

today
Thailand +4
Hong Kong +3
Japan +87
SK +39
Singapore + 219
Malaysia +6
Vietnam +1

I would said they're doing pretty fine.

I haven't seen 1 study that say mask don't help at all, you?
"Religiously?"

Ichinisan was in Thailand from December 31st to Feb 16th back when Thailand had more confirmed cases than anywhere else outside of China. He told me about a taxi driver coughing over his shoulder while my brother sat directly behind him... on a scooter. Yes, this was a scooter taxi, which means bodies so close they are pressed against each other. No mask.

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
My parents live in HK and vacation in Thai few times a yr, they told me many wearing mask now. I was there exactly a yr ago and I see a lot of masks in the mid of their summer.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

sorry you hate simple things...but yes, simply wearing a mask for everyone will effectively reduce the spread upwards of 50% or more.

How does biology work?

I know, you don't fucking care. You got a C- and were happy to get the fuck out and never learn another thing after 10th grade.

• Haha
Reactions: repoman0

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
"Religiously?"

Ichinisan was in Thailand from December 31st to Feb 16th back when Thailand had more confirmed cases than anywhere else outside of China. He told me about a taxi driver coughing over his shoulder while my brother sat directly behind him... on a scooter. Yes, this was a scooter taxi, which means bodies so close they are pressed against each other. No mask.

hey, at least they were outside! :D

(yes, that does seem to make a yuge difference, anyway)

Reactions: CZroe

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Mass Gov flubbed the data on recent positivity looking for an uptick from the protests. Said it was 2.5%, was actually 1.27%

Baker overstated the number of protesters who tested positive for COVID

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/06...e=amp&event=event25&__twitter_impression=true

The 1.27 percent positive rate “is the most up-to-date number” for the tests conducted on demonstrators and protesters, the spokeswoman confirmed.

The new data doesn’t dramatically change the conclusion that Baker and epidemiologists had originally drawn: Even as thousands of people gathered in demonstrations sparked by the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis, many had taken precautions such as wearing face coverings that experts believe can dramatically reduce the risk of spreading the virus.

Baker also noted that virtually all the events took place outside, and in many cases, people were moving, further helping to blunt any potential transmission. The test results, he said Tuesday, were a “big indicator about how important it is for people to follow the guidance and the rules.”

Masks. Work. People.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
So my work in DFW said nah, the mask order does not apply to us. To be fair that is technically correct but just why?