NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 371 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
"If I were in power I would have done better!" Where have we heard this before?

Honestly there is nothing the leaders could have done. You're talking about an economy built on trillions upon trillions of dollars - were not even 3 months into this and people are expecting to go another 6 months minimum? Yeah that's nuts.

The best thing we could have is media that isn't hell-bent on being as fearmongering as humanly possible.

Actual real world examples of other actual countries are plain evidence that you are fundamentally wrong about this ridiculous assumption.

The most common them among the worst-off countries during this entire pandemic: ultra right authoritarian and authoritarian-wannabee regimes. It's uncanny.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
But until then.... no one can pay rent/mortgages (10+ year highs of not paying), there are 5 new businesses filing for bankruptcy each week... and.... Everything is totally calm and cool lol

Hold together guys! We only have *flips page*... 6 more months!

The best thing we could have is media that isn't hell-bent on being as fearmongering as humanly possible.

Yep... makes sense...

• Haha
Reactions: manly
Nov 8, 2012
Actual real world examples of other actual countries are plain evidence that you are fundamentally wrong about this ridiculous assumption.

The most common them among the worst-off countries during this entire pandemic: ultra right authoritarian and authoritarian-wannabee regimes. It's uncanny.

So go ahead and give me a breakdown of how easy it is to keep every American with a suitable amount of money - but also prevent businesses from dying and everyone losing their job.

Suffice it to say, the economy doesn't have a pause button. Rent, mortgages, and bills still have to be paid - not just for individuals but also for businesses.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
So go ahead and give me a breakdown of how easy it is to keep every American with a suitable amount of money - but also prevent businesses from dying and everyone losing their job.

Suffice it to say, the economy doesn't have a pause button. Rent, mortgages, and bills still have to be paid - not just for individuals but also for businesses.
You're buying into the fear mongering. The economy is hurting but it's not as bad as you think. You think all these people are missing rent and mortgage payments and thinking the sky is falling. But did you look at the rent and mortgage numbers before covid-19? Even during the good times, like 15% of the renters are always late with their rent payments. That doesn't mean the world is ending. Most of these people end up paying late by the 15th when eviction notices get filed. That happens like every month. They pay the late fee and catch back up.

The poor is not the economy.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Well, I can see someone suing if the name got out and it negatively impacted the person due to people wrongly assuming the person did something particularly egregious or irresponsible.

I guess jumping to that thought myself only demonstrates why HIPPA is needed. ;)

Oh yeah, I totally get and fully appreciate why HIPPA exists. I'm just saying that in some circumstances, like highly infectious diseases, it seems like there could be reason to be told who it is so you know how much exposure you've had.

Reactions: CZroe

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah and this is still early. Wonder what else they will discover in 1 or even 10 years from now. If this is causing permanent damage it's probably also knocking years off your life as you are more likely to have related complications later.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Friends in Louisiana say they will stay at Phase 2 and not into Phase 3 per the Governor because of new cases.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003

You mean like NYC? Still with the highest number of deaths.

CA is climbing fast too -

Oh wait. LOL.

Uncanny indeed. Uh huh.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
You mean like NYC? Still with the highest number of deaths.

CA is climbing fast too -

Oh wait. LOL.

Uncanny indeed. Uh huh.
I wasn't aware they had become countries?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001

Spain, Italy, China, Venezuela...

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Abbott continues to very slowly back up in TX. Local governments can restrict outdoor gatherings to 100 people, new rules for childcare facilities coming. Not nearly enough to but the brakes what's going down now.

Nov 8, 2012
Abbott continues to very slowly back up in TX. Local governments can restrict outdoor gatherings to 100 people, new rules for childcare facilities coming. Not nearly enough to but the brakes what's going down now.

Looks like they are declaring that school will re-open in the fall. We will see if thats true when it actually gets closer:

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Considerable confidence from Fauci that we'll get an effective vaccine.

My understanding is that there are 2-3 different ways they're attacking the virus in the vaccines. This is good because viruses aren't exactly that easy to make vaccines for... I'm sure they'll be able to come up with a vaccine...my concern is that mutations will make them less effective and no one knows how long immunity will last.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Looks like they are declaring that school will re-open in the fall. We will see if thats true when it actually gets closer:

Yeah I dunno about that. They've already had to re-suspend athletic programs at the high schools here as people participating are getting the virus.

My expectation is that the governor will toss the responsibility on the local school districts to decide if they are going to have traditional classes.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'm still hoping for at least a condensed baseball season ... despite yesterdays agreement however I'm not feeling all that optimistic with the continued spread.

:(

Reactions: mopardude87

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
My understanding is that there are 2-3 different ways they're attacking the virus in the vaccines. This is good because viruses aren't exactly that easy to make vaccines for... I'm sure they'll be able to come up with a vaccine...my concern is that mutations will make them less effective and no one knows how long immunity will last.

This thing is getting hit by at least six different platforms making up over 100 vaccine candidates. This particular virus doesn't appear to be particularly elusive as the spike protein isn't prone to significant mutation according to research so far. Immunity durability is an open question and it's possible first generation vaccines will require annual boosters, which is a very manageable problem.