NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 251 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Remember that South China University report from February I noticed was pulled?

a5df2b9930df244645f2135d0c66c129.jpg

Well, it seems that the Washington Post has noticed its disappearance too:

They really seem suspicious of the origins, especially since bats supposedly weren't sold in the Hunan Seafood Market.

Here's the archive.org link:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
People are going to start revolting against this lock down, especially younger people. Keeping order is not going to be easy.

So much of this is a matter of age-based perspective...if you had told me at 13 that I'd be locked down for the next 2 months with nothing but the Internet, an endless supply of streaming movies, video games, and all of the recipes online I could stand to hook, how on earth could you be bored?? There's literally an endlessly amount of things to watch, learn, and do thanks to the Internet.

But it's human nature to rebel against our constraints, especially when you don't have that perspective that people who grew up in the 80's, 90's, and before that have, where everything existed in meatspace & real boredom WAS a thing. I remember being bored as a kid in the 80's...when summer stretched a bit too long, nothing was on TV, it was hot, you ran out of interest in your toys, all of your friends were just as apathetic as you, and time just seemed to drag. Unless you had access to resources & were creative, or had access to battlestations like a workshop to build wood projects in or a car shop to work on a restoration project in, you were just kind of stuck.

Now, we have humanity's entire knowledge base & cultural entertainment recordings available with a few clicks of the mouse & taps of the keyboard...and yet people are bored. I think in this case, it's a state of mind - take online classes, do some certifications, binge-watch a series, learn programming, learn how to type online, learn a language, find new recipes to try, watch TED Talks & other wonderful lectures, post on Facebook groups & reddit & forums & other social media sites, clean up your house, adopt a new hobby, find a side gig, use FocusMate to help you get stuff done, use a random webcam site to chat with people all over the world, play the latest video games or try out some retro games, I mean...the world is your oyster, especially if you're a kid & you don't have a job & you've gotten your e-homework done for the day!

Reminds me of that book "Bored, nothing to do" from when I was a kid haha:

Reactions: Muse and killster1

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i haven't been outside of my apartment for almost 4 weeks now

i think i can still make it 2-3 more weeks before i completely run out of food

(or longer if my stomach problems continue to keep me from eating)

• Haha
Reactions: Muse and killster1

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

Dang man, you're mad prepared for a pandemic!!

Stomach problems from stress or just in general? Either way that stinks man, sorry to hear that.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Dang man, you're mad prepared for a pandemic!!

i just buy way too much bulk food when i see it on sale, cans of soup and ramen and stuff like that. and toilet paper, i have months worth! it normally seems crazy but it came in handy this time.

Stomach problems from stress or just in general? Either way that stinks man, sorry to hear that.

thanks, IDK what it is yet. i am under a ton of stress, both from the virus and from my job basically making me work 20 hours extra a week for the forseeable future. plus i had almost no vitamin D in my body, so in early march my doctor put me on really strong vitamin D supplements for 2 months. aaaaand had me switch to a new medication that causes stomach problems for a lot of people.

i really want to go to the doctor but no way i'm chancing it. if it's still bad later this week, i think i'll probably try one of these newfangled virtual visits.

Reactions: Muse

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I've been trying to go for walks daily since I know staying inside will end up catching up with my mental health - especially because of the time of year. I start getting seasonal depression at this time. The clock change usually triggers it, it takes a few weeks to start sometimes. So I'm basically in a critical point where I really need to watch out.

So far I'm ok though. I'm fine with not going out with people etc and the way the lock down is, I just hope people don't force the government to take more drastic measures like not even allowing people to be outside in public. I want to at least be able to keep going for walks.

My city is talking about having a curfew though. As long as it's temporary for the sake of the pandemic I think I'd be ok with it. It's dangerous to be outside after it gets dark here, no reason to be out at that time.

Reactions: Kaido

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Tesla ventilator. Made using Model 3 car parts. :)

So, despite all the doctors saying masks are useless except for sick people, they have everyone in masks?
Do the Tesla people know something we dont?
Are the doctors lying?
NONE OF THIS MAKES ANY SENSE!

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
So, despite all the doctors saying masks are useless except for sick people, they have everyone in masks?
Are the doctors lying?
The CDC and everyone officially changed their position on that about 3 days ago. They want us to use makeshift masks so that the people on the front line get the medical grade ones.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Are the doctors lying?

There seems to be so much mixed info about masks it's crazy. I think the people who talk about masks are the same that tell us what's healthy for us and what's not. Nobody can agree on what's actually right! I forget are egg yellows good for us this year? Or was that last year? I think it just alternates right? :p

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
He spoiled your fun? Zero laughs? Oh you poor boy. It's not his responsibility to make you laugh, nor mine. I like his style. If you like Jon Oliver, think he's better, link some, OK?

Dig, he asked Bill Gates a lot of great questions, the right questions, again and again. That's rarely done in interviews. Plus it was virtual, which is tougher than in person. Anyway, like I said, he did his homework. Now link me some Jon Oliver. If you can't, he's out of the picture.
I've never seen anything from Mr. Noah that wasn't cringe-worthy.

I can't explain it, but his statements and positions often seem insincere. It feels like Stewart actually believed what he was saying and Noah just says what he thinks we expect of him.

Maybe that's just me.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
anyone with half a brain could tell you masks are good for everyone sick or not, they lied so people wouldn't use up all the precious masks, but its strange dr's and nurses dont acquire masks from home depot so wtf is everyones problem? hospitals should have been better prepared and so should have dr's and nurses. when i saw the outbreak in china i knew i should buy as many as i could. i wear one everyday for 14 hours a day, its made my nose look like its sunburn. really tell me how anyone believed the idiots that said it could actually be more dangerous to wear a mask. If it blocked the virus and then had virus on it for you to infect your self, it still is at worst the same as no mask or even better since you wont be rubbing the mask into your eyes and nose. Tigers have been infected in new york heh so ya even animals need the masks :p

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
anyone with half a brain could tell you masks are good for everyone sick or not, they lied so people wouldn't use up all the precious masks, but its strange dr's and nurses dont acquire masks from home depot so wtf is everyones problem? hospitals should have been better prepared and so should have dr's and nurses. when i saw the outbreak in china i knew i should buy as many as i could. i wear one everyday for 14 hours a day, its made my nose look like its sunburn. really tell me how anyone believed the idiots that said it could actually be more dangerous to wear a mask. If it blocked the virus and then had virus on it for you to infect your self, it still is at worst the same as no mask or even better since you wont be rubbing the mask into your eyes and nose. Tigers have been infected in new york heh so ya even animals need the masks :p
So....the biggest US manufacturers of masks make em in China. When China started having issues in January, they stopped shipments to the US (exports) from these companies....causing a US shortage. In addition to that massive stoppage of exports, they were buying up all of the masks they could from the US and Europe....essentially, cutting off everyone's supply of masks, gloves, etc...

Yes...mask materials can cause skin irritation. If you wear a bandana or two, you should be fine. The key is to use tighter weave fabrics and maybe double them up, but ultimately avoid areas where lots of people are....follow social distancing and basically don't leave your home unless you have to. I've tried to stay at least 6-8 feet away from people since early March. Luckily, I don't rely on public transit and haven't been in my office during business hours since March 10.

Reactions: Muse

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Does it automatically. I hate it lol. I've tried turning it off by using Inset Link instead, but some websites just do the unfurl thing automatically (like Reddit).
I don't follow you @Kaido. How is it done "automatically?" I can't get it to happen. What exact steps do you go through to insert those unfurl links in your posts here???
I paste in the link, hit post, happens automatically. Not to all links, but to most links. I'd prefer that it didn't, actually - I like having a link just be a link, with no preview.
There's a thread in Forum Issues about this
https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...-i-post-umolested-urls-imgur-youtube.2568128/

Reactions: Muse and Kaido

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So much of this is a matter of age-based perspective...if you had told me at 13 that I'd be locked down for the next 2 months with nothing but the Internet, an endless supply of streaming movies, video games, and all of the recipes online I could stand to hook, how on earth could you be bored?? There's literally an endlessly amount of things to watch, learn, and do thanks to the Internet.

But it's human nature to rebel against our constraints, especially when you don't have that perspective that people who grew up in the 80's, 90's, and before that have, where everything existed in meatspace & real boredom WAS a thing. I remember being bored as a kid in the 80's...when summer stretched a bit too long, nothing was on TV, it was hot, you ran out of interest in your toys, all of your friends were just as apathetic as you, and time just seemed to drag. Unless you had access to resources & were creative, or had access to battlestations like a workshop to build wood projects in or a car shop to work on a restoration project in, you were just kind of stuck.

Now, we have humanity's entire knowledge base & cultural entertainment recordings available with a few clicks of the mouse & taps of the keyboard...and yet people are bored. I think in this case, it's a state of mind - take online classes, do some certifications, binge-watch a series, learn programming, learn how to type online, learn a language, find new recipes to try, watch TED Talks & other wonderful lectures, post on Facebook groups & reddit & forums & other social media sites, clean up your house, adopt a new hobby, find a side gig, use FocusMate to help you get stuff done, use a random webcam site to chat with people all over the world, play the latest video games or try out some retro games, I mean...the world is your oyster, especially if you're a kid & you don't have a job & you've gotten your e-homework done for the day!

Reminds me of that book "Bored, nothing to do" from when I was a kid haha:

Yeah, I can't get to people who think or say there's nothing to do. I have so many things to do... I sometimes say I should be 5 people.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

I think I may have food for 6 months, haven't figured it out. What I would run out of is certain things like fresh produce. Also I only have coffee for maybe 2 months??? Well, over 6lb. Anyway, a neighbor's doing my shopping for me.

I've been opening a few jars of home-canned stuff I have around. I opened a jar of Moroccan Pumpkin Soup today I made in 2014! I have maybe 20 quarts of that around, great stuff, made from my home grown kabocha squash. I have gallons of various tomato sauces I've made in jars. I have maybe 20 or more jars of plum jam. 40lb of white flour. 20lb of basmati rice. 20lb of pinto beans. Much more catastrophe stuff. Would be nice to have a generator, I may get one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarpozzi

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Let the buyers beware, in this case, 80% failure of N95 masks-

One thing up front... The first job of a mask is to protect the wearer from infecting other people. Any mask with a valve is total fail on that score! I have bought various masks, all because of smoke from wild fires in my region in 2017 and 2018. First I bought a single mask at a hardware store, N95. That didn't fit me right and I no longer have it. I think I bought some more locally that didn't fit, maybe a 3 pack... had to toss them. Then I bought a couple of bulk orders of 3M N95 off ebay, different models. I did my homework, reading reviews at Amazon. The first set had no valves and were IMO excellent fit and they are obviously the best for this pandemic, and I still have some. The next batch have valves and at the time I thought they were great. Great fit, but no protection from infecting others because of the valve. Also, I'm not sure I would trust that valve to keep out pathogens. The benefit of a valve is that you exhale more easily, they're cooler, and don't fog up your glasses. That's great for filtering out smoke, i.e. from wild fires but not for this pandemic.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Are the doctors lying?
I was not impressed by that video in terms of the integrity. Firstly, OK, they're working on it. But nothing there to indicate scale, i.e. can they put out 3000 of these a week? 20? 5? How much will they cost? What I see there appears to be costly. Well, even companies like Medtronics (one of the 6 or so companies that make them), their ventilators are said to cost $25,000 or so I heard in a TV news story. But they are pretty small compared to what those Tesla guys are showing.

Tesla is very concerned about their image. Musk is always in the news, Tesla and SpaceX too. I don't exactly trust them.

Yeah, those masks and them touching them all the time seemed weird. You are supposed to fit your mask and then keep your cotton picking hands off them. And obviously those masks looked pretty useless for damn near anything.

Masks help flatten the curve, no question, but even more important, our main weapon at this time in flattening the curve is social distancing, plus those common sense things like washing hands and not touching our faces when we have reason to think our hands may be contaminated.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Actually, it is. The Daily Show was originally an infotainment program. Entertainment first, news second. It seems to have lost its way.

Think of the kittens! Hey, do they need masks too?
Speaking for myself I prefer interesting news to infotainment. You can say Noah's lost his way by being serious about the worst epidemic in a century and abandoning his rightful place as a clown. To each his own.

Oh, and speaking of the kittens... on TV news tonight they said a tiger was tested positive for covid-19! They said 1/2 a dozen others did too. They finished that mini-segment by saying the beasts are expected to survive! I'm going, oh... that's just great! Now we're gonna have squirrels as vectors in our cities? WTF!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I've never seen anything from Mr. Noah that wasn't cringe-worthy.

I can't explain it, but his statements and positions often seem insincere. It feels like Stewart actually believed what he was saying and Noah just says what he thinks we expect of him.

Maybe that's just me.
I'm not familiar with him really from before the last maybe couple weeks. Have you seen his recent videos, i.e. the ones where he's riffing on news about the coronavirus? He's pretty spot on.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It's on Comedy Central for crying out loud.
Eh, I don't get Comedy Central. I'm talking about the videos he's doing about the coronavirus pretty regularly now. Pretty dang good stuff. Check it out.

You know, compartmentalization is a big problem.