"Non-GMO" eating "organic" produce's lunch, baffling yuppie Moms

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
How ironic that the Luddites who are afraid that GMO foods are going to turn them into zombies might now drive the "Organic" foods industry out of business. Looks like "non-GMO or organic" is the new no-win quandry for people who overthink things, the unanswerable "paper or plastic" enigma for the 21st century. Either that or a script idea for a future Portlandia episode.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/20..._source=npr&utm_campaign=nprnews&utm_content=

It's easy to think of "organic" and "non-GMO" as the best buddies of food. They sit comfortably beside each other in the same grocery stores — most prominently, in Whole Foods Market. Culturally, they also seem to occupy the same space. Both reject aspects of mainstream industrial agriculture.

In fact, the increasingly successful movement to eliminate genetically modified crops — GMOs — from food is turning out to be organic's false friend. The non-GMO label has become a cheaper alternative to organic.

"More and more, there's concern [among organic food companies] that they created a monster," says Mark Kastel, a pro-organic activist who's co-founder of the Cornucopia Institute.

The conflict between organic and non-GMO food became clear to me while reporting two stories in recent weeks, one about non-GMO grain and another about organic eggs. I visited Allen Williams, a farmer near Cerro Gordo, Ill., who straddles this divide. He grows everything: lots of organic crops; non-GMO corn and soybeans; and some genetically modified crops.

His nonorganic fields are treated essentially the same, whether the crops are non-GMO or genetically modified. Williams keeps those fields weed-free with chemical herbicides, although he has to use different chemicals on the non-GMO fields. He adds standard commercial fertilizer to keep the soil fertile. Basically, it's just conventional farming. Williams will get a higher price for his non-GMO soybeans and corn, but it's not a huge premium over the standard commodity price — about 15 percent for soybeans, 10 percent for corn.

<snip>

Dec 10, 2005
It's funny how the anti-science anti-GMO people have gotten people whipped into an ignorant frenzy, only to then recognize that they've created a competing market in the ridiculous food-labeling market.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
I'm all for non-GMO. But organic is a bit different. The problem with organic is that some of the practices in order to be organic aren't any less screwed up than the non-organic farming -- particularly with meats.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Why do you hate science?

Why do you assume that I hate science because I avoid GMO food. I know you are just looking for a chance to throw shit, but really, why show your lack of imagination and throw shit on yourself?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Why do you hate science?

Why do you assume that I hate science because I avoid GMO food. I know you are just looking for a chance to throw shit, but really, why show your lack of imagination and throw shit on yourself? Try to think before you jerk off.

AdamantC

Apr 19, 2011
Mankind has been fucking around with crop genetics since the dawn of agriculture. So you're pretty much going to have to stop eating if you want to avoid GMO food.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Mankind has been fucking around with crop genetics since the dawn of agriculture. So you're pretty much going to have to stop eating if you want to avoid GMO food.

Pretty sure there is a difference between cross pollinating and other things and Monsanto making it so you can dump Round-Up all over their crops.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
interesting to me is that I recently spoke with someone who works for Whole Foods on the distribution side and they said that up here in NE people are not at all concerned with Organic foods whereas elsewhere it is all the rage

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

This.

Most of the fruit that we eat now is basically tree candy. For thousands of years people cross-pollinated the sweetest fruit bearing plants again and again to get what we have today.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i saw a facebook post where someone was bitching about food labeling, and i thought to myself:

you realize without insecticides and pesticides that crops would have dramatically lower yields and prices for foods would be significantly higher.

same goes for any meat - oohhhh those antibiotics are bad - except they keep mass disease from running rampant through cattle herds.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
I got two replies from the resident mental case, not only does it hate science, but it has a bad case of butthurt too! OH MY!

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
i saw a facebook post where someone was bitching about food labeling, and i thought to myself:

you realize without insecticides and pesticides that crops would have dramatically lower yields and prices for foods would be significantly higher.

same goes for any meat - oohhhh those antibiotics are bad - except they keep mass disease from running rampant through cattle herds.

The meats are one of the big reasons I have an issue with organics. The conditions are still bad, but they won't give the animals meds either. Then again, it is a shame that the big need for those antibiotics is because the animals live in mud pits and are covered in their own shit.

That's why I'm a fan of using local farms, if possible. There's nothing wrong with antibiotics and such, but those factory farms are just ridiculous.

Dec 10, 2005

The antibiotics are being used prophylacticly. As a side-effect, the animals grow a little faster and they can keep them in more cramped conditions. But the use of antibiotics in the farm setting is irresponsible. Even though they aren't the same ones used in humans, it is helping to create large populations of bacteria resistant to those classes of antibiotics, which is a big problem. The release of new antibiotics on a yearly basis has been dropping for years, while antibiotic resistance has risen dramatically over the same time frame.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
While that website is amusing and full of good times.....I would prefer to keep to the status quo and finish up with my cock in your mouth instead of a tiny website in my crack.

Corn, you pride yourself on your honesty. Don't let me down. You said:

"I thought everyone understood the liberal brain defect that accepts and trusts science only when it is used as a tool to control the lives of *other* people."

I showed you a bunch of leftists radicals who were opposed to GMOs precisely because they are used to control the lives of others. In short I demonstrated that your comment was full of shit. You just didn't take that very well, probably because although you may think you are honest, you are not so honest in reality. I just used some graphic words to tell you so in case you needed motivation to double down. It seems that the only time you may not actually have a cock in your ass is when you are changing dicks from mine to yours.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I got two replies from the resident mental case, not only does it hate science, but it has a bad case of butthurt too! OH MY!

You are mind numbingly stupid. Try not to run into the wall or fall over a chair.

You are mind numbingly stupid. Try not to run into the wall or fall over a chair. Only a mental case sees in opposition to GMOs a hatred of science. Such pathetic reasoning skills and such anger when that fact is pointed out. Your recovery isn't progressing very well, you stupid asshole. If fact you will doubtless allow my words to permanently fix you in the lost column, you're just that big a chump.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
Corn, you pride yourself on your honesty. Don't let me down. You said:

"I thought everyone understood the liberal brain defect that accepts and trusts science only when it is used as a tool to control the lives of *other* people."

I showed you a bunch of leftists radicals who were opposed to GMOs precisely because they are used to control the lives of others. In short I demonstrated that your comment was full of shit. You just didn't take that very well, probably because although you may think you are honest, you are not so honest in reality. I just used some graphic words to tell you so in case you needed motivation to double down. It seems that the only time you may not actually have a cock in your ass is when you are changing dicks from mine to yours.

.....blah blah blah.......

I examine data all day long and if one thing could be learned from all that analysis, it is that outliers exist in every dataset. That website isn't just for lefties, crackpots of all stripes can find something to be fearful of. The article you post is great fun, from references likening our government to Stalin's Soviet utopia all the way to a conspiracy regarding the death of a Wyoming legislator. Yeah, these are your typical lefties alright. Well.......not really but I do find it amusing you think you've got a cock.

Last edited: