non-gaming, PCIe, low power, low profile card for 2650x

nezent

Dec 2, 2012
Hello AT,

I have an Acer Veriton running windows 7 pro 64 (will likely be upgraded in about a year to windows 8) and would like to purchase an add-in PCIe 2.0 card to enable 2650x1600 resolution into a single display. Something low profile and low power. This is for business use and no gaming will be happening. Mostly word, outlook, an occasional youtube video.

System Specifications:

I. Processor/CPU:
Acer Veriton, intel i5, low profile case

II. Current Graphics Card:
Intel integrated graphics

III. Display Resolution:
What I need:
2650x1600 or 2650x1440 Dual Link DVI

IV. Power Supply Unit Specification (Brand, Wattage, Ampage, Age)
Acer Veriton supplied power supply. 220W total power. I'm guessing the cpu is using approx 60 at idle and 100 at full speed with about 100-120 left over. But I prefer low power consumption cards that are just using the PCIe power of 25W without a power connector. I have a hard time getting these details from the catalogs.

V. Case Specifications(N/A, Model, Length, Low Profile, Cooling, HTPC, Water, Silent):
Low Profile case, passive cooling preferred (I've had bad experiences with fans and prefer to avoid them).

Purchase Details:

I. Budget:
$30 - $80
I prefer newegg and tiger direct but I'm not opposed to buying elsewhere.

II. Any particular preferences?
Just low power and passive cooling. Maybe x1 as apposed to x16 as it will increase air space. My x16 is sort of against the bottom of the case and I don't know if this is an issue but I like to err on the side of caution.

III. Do you plan to have any Multi-GPU solutions such as Crossfire or SLI?
no

IV. Have you previously looked at a product(s) which you feel would fit your needs?
Yes - power consumption is often not documented on pages and there seems to be a policy of recommending 300-400W power supplies even for cards that top out at 20W. I don't understand this and want to make sure I am not missing something here.

V. What are your needs for this GPU?
No games, only occasional video, possibly a movie every so often. Mostly outlook, word, firefox and chrome (with minimal video content).

VI. Do you plan on overclocking the card you intend to purchase?
no

Additional Notes

1 there are a number of cards being sold that don't document the power requirements other than stating "300W PS recommended" or something like that - even for allegedly low power cards that only consume 10-20W. So I am having a hard time figuring this out. I am under the impression that there are many cards that will run on PCIe power but I don't know what they are and the online stores don't seem to help much in this respect. That is why I want to ask the experts.

2 I am also wondering that if I go with an x1 card as apposed to an x16 that I could get more air flow around a passive-cooled card. Not sure if this will be an issue for a low power card. The x16 is sort of on the bottom and it seems like more air flow is often a better thing when it's an option. The x1 slot is one slot above and would be more in the open.

Thanks for any ideas.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
I would search for the dual DVI part as they may be more hard than average. Most low cards come with DVI/HDMI/Analog outputs. Can you run 1 DVI and 1 Analog video?

The current low end cards that work well are the GT610 and the 6450. But the dual DVI and low profile I don;t see any like that anymore.

Maybe get one with a Display port and convert the HDMI to DVI like this...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814129271

Over kill for what you are doing and also price is high but only thing I can find right now.

nezent

Dec 2, 2012
I would search for the dual DVI part as they may be more hard than average. Most low cards come with DVI/HDMI/Analog outputs. Can you run 1 DVI and 1 Analog video?

The current low end cards that work well are the GT610 and the 6450. But the dual DVI and low profile I don;t see any like that anymore.

Maybe get one with a Display port and convert the HDMI to DVI like this...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814129271

Over kill for what you are doing and also price is high but only thing I can find right now.

Thanks alot Jimzz - but I need a dual link DVI for a single screen with resolution of 2650x1600. And in the specs this says that a 300W or greater PS is recommended. I'll follow the 6450 lead though as someone else has mentioned the same thing.

nezent

Dec 2, 2012
Thanks a lot Bigystyle, I'll take your lead on the 6450 chipset. I'm wondering if the Diamond version is better for 10 dollars more (although there is a rebate) - maybe I should give this one a try - nicer looking heatsink, reports of cooler operating temperature and a 5 year warrantee. And Diamond may not be the best but it's been around for a while:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103213

The bottom card slot is a bit scary - seems to be fairly close to the chassis but I don't have many other options. I don't think this thing will be getting too much of a load though - it's more for the pixels in the dual link dvi port to drive the 27" display than anything else.

Thank you very much.