Non-Gamer; High quality video GPU for HD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

philipma1957

Golden Member
Jan 8, 2012
Thats a slight exageration.
You can get a 6670 for 49$ (brand new) thats alot faster than the HD4000 (IGP) in intel Sandy Brigdes.

The fact that Sandy Brigde can give something like a Geforce 520 a run for its money, makes low-end cards like the 520 useless though. That however doesnt mean there arnt sub 100$ video cards that cant kick the HD4000 (IGP)'s arse in terms of performance.

I mean there are 7750's going for less than 100$, and their many many times faster than the HD4000.

I could not agree more with you. He should get a hd7750.

In fact he should get the sapphire fanless or the powercolor fanless model.

http://www.amazon.com/PowerColor-128.../dp/B007V9UF3K

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Ultim...radeon+hd+7750

I have a sapphire hd7750 ultimate in a case with good cooling and it smacks the hd4000 igp silly.

I use an i7 3770t cpu and I can compare the hd7750 with the hd4000 with just a few clicks of my mouse. I like the hd7750 as it is fanless with 0 noise. It does not run that hot. You just need a case with good air circulation.

Last edited:

snoylekim

Sep 30, 2012
Is the HD4000 adequate for HD video editing or do I need a discrete video card? I won't be playing any games.

I understand that some editing software such as Sony Movie Studio can benefit from a discrete video card for rendering, but does that only apply to the final render (rather than previewing during editing)? If I've spent a few hours filming and editing, I don't mind waiting 15 minutes rather than 10 for the final output to render.

I'm thinking of getting an i7 3770k overclocked to 4.2ghz (along with 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD). Initially I had thought that I would need a video card such as a GTX 660ti, but these forums seem to be suggesting that a powerful video card is needed only for gaming, and that the HD4000 on an i7 should be adequate for HD video editing.

Sony Movie Studio will leverage OpenCL on a video card for some codecs ( mostly the Sony versions) which does reduce rendering time around 15-20% measured with my a reference 7970 ..it also shows an option to use Intel Quick Sync if available, but since I have discrete graphics I haven't seen this in action ..the CPU choice provides the most bang for the buck if you're looking to optimize video or photo work .

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Well, many people were bashing non-Intel GPUs. This is one test to show, that not everything's rosy in Intel's backyard.
Oh god! The IGP needs a whole 15% processor power to run a movie! The whole computer is going to be locked up and probably catch on fire. Someone get the op SLI 690's stat! DOOM TO INTEL!

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Oh god! The IGP needs a whole 15% processor power to run a movie! The whole computer is going to be locked up and probably catch on fire. Someone get the op SLI 690's stat! DOOM TO INTEL!

Agreed, and it'd probably not even a real 15% figure either as Speed Step would probably still have the CPU down clocked.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
but a guy in IT at work swears by discrete cards in all cases

Yeah, don't listen to these guys. I have yet to meet one that was a system builder or really knew hardware (and I've know a few).

Funny how these threads almost always turn into pi**ing contests. Sigh...

trclac- I just upgraded from an HD4600, and what little video editing I did went smoothly. That said, were I to start using a program like Adobe Premier (or even it's Elements counterpart), I'd get something with a bit more muscle.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
I wouldn't give up massive CPU performance for a small bump in IGP.. IB > Trinity

For gaming assuming you only use the IGP, Trinity is faster than Ivy Bridge in every game on the market and not by a small amount.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
For gaming assuming you only use the IGP, Trinity is faster than Ivy Bridge in every game on the market and not by a small amount.

The title of this thread starts with "non-gamer" though.

jkauff

Oct 4, 2012
A late update to this thread. I had asked a similar question on this board a couple of months ago, and the consensus was that my HD4000 was all I needed for video encoding and playback. However, I also I hang out on the doom9 forum, and the developer of madVR, the best video renderer available, recommends a discrete GPU for best playback. Some of his algorithms take advantage of the extra GPU processing power, although madVR works fine without the advanced settings.

I had an extra couple hundred dollars sitting in the bank, so I invested in a GTX 660 board from Asus. I also have an Asus mb that supports Lucid MVP, so I installed that too so I could use the HD4000 Quick Sync. It also has native support for PowerDVD.

The difference is quite obvious. Both Blu-rays and DVDs look much better, and the H.264 encoding support on the Kepler part is just as good as Quick Sync (but not better--I still prefer software encoding if I have the time to do it). All in all, I'm very pleased, and I think the OP would find the same benefits I have.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Interesting, I've played Blu-Ray's on my HD4000 and GTX 680 and I can't tell the difference.