Noisy Power supply -Need an alternative

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by Macgruber, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macgruber

Macgruber Senior member

so i've gone through 2 cases, a corsair h100, a contac 30, and after returning a 400 order for a thermtaltake level 10 gt lcs case

i realized 1.) the case is overpriced and LC system sucks, 2.) the noises i had with the h100 and other cases are coming from my power spply

have had it for about 6months, never had issues, but ti seems my quiet computer only emits noises that come from the PSU!!! whether its the fan on the psu spinning or what not, i really need to find a power supply that is just QUIET effecient and at least bronze rated

all help is appreciated

#1 Macgruber, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2013
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Noisy Power supply Forum Date
    The solution to the power supply problem of C8051f Power Supplies Sep 16, 2017
    EVGA Supernova 1300 Is Noisy - What are my options Power Supplies Jun 13, 2014
    EVGA SuperNOVA NEX650G Gold: too noisy Power Supplies Mar 4, 2013
    700W psu fan noisy at idle? Power Supplies Mar 7, 2010
    Corsair HX450w fan suddenly got noisy Power Supplies Jan 11, 2010

3. aaksheytalwar

aaksheytalwar Diamond Member

Not sure. But for low watta, try Antec NeoHE or something. But doesn't come beyond 600-650 watts or so. Higher ranges would basically mean seasonic or something,

4. lehtv

lehtv Elite Member

Good info there aaksheytalwar!

... In all seriousness, it's normal for a PSU that's 80+ bronze or less efficient to be audible even when it's not doing anything. It doesn't mean it's trash.

I'd recommend a gold rated unit, they are typically very quiet. I just need to know what your graphics setup is.

5. Macgruber

Macgruber Senior member

using a evga geforce gtx 550 ti, or onboard card, still makes same sound

should i just buy one of these "ultra silent" bronze rated power supplies? it seems that im going to spend 120-140$ to get a 700watt+ thats "ultra silent"

i dont ever want to buy a corsair product again, and im getting scared of thermaltake :(

#4 Macgruber, Feb 12, 2013
  6. Necc

Necc Senior member

What's your problem with corsair products?

7. lehtv

lehtv Elite Member

GTX 550 Ti? Your rig could run on a quality 400W unit. Get a 500-550W to support higher end GPUs. Seasonic G550 80+ Gold $90.

I don't see SLI happening with that card, any current mid-range or high end GPU will be a huge upgrade over it. You won't need SLI/CF unless playing demanding games at 2560 wide or bigger resolution.

8. Macgruber

Macgruber Senior member

im looking to invest in a power supply. not throw money away for a lower PSU one.

my rig couldnt run on a 400w unit, my mobo and gpu alone require more than that. you dont even know how many hard drives i run

im sorry but i appreciate you posting its just hard for me to take people serious when they make assumptions and even i know they are wrong.

i have a evga gtx 550, do you think im going to downgrade the card or upgrade the card?
    why would you think id downgrade my psu not knowing if im going to upgrade the pc?

thanks man but i appreciate all opinions regardless of how off they are

all of them seem to be defective when i buy them.

-anyone know good 700w+ psu's that are silent?

#7 Macgruber, Feb 12, 2013
  9. Torn Mind

Torn Mind Diamond Member

Get a freaking Diablotek if stated wattage is all you care about. It's not likely your Thermaltake could actually deliver all 750 watts either, just like your 400 watt unit was probably a 20 dollar Logisys or Diablotek piece of crap with a crappy 12 volt rail. You GPU is a mid-range card that struggles to eclipse 300 watts of at the wall power consumption.

Hard drives use about 12 watts, tops. (12v*1A)

10. Vectronic

Vectronic Senior member

My ridiculously over-powered PSU (750W 80+ Silver Semi-Modular) is awesome... but I got it at a good deal, same price as that Seasonic $89.99.

No noise at all, and I don't think the fan has ever come out of idle at 200RPM or whatever it spins at, if my hand is more than about an inch away I can't even feel the air-flow.

11. Macgruber

Macgruber Senior member

i have to question your competence when you point out my mid range card not knowing if im about to spend 500$ on two more cards or go big with a new one.

i dont know why youre talking about a 400watt unit logisys 20$ or diablotek, if you used your common sense to read and reply to what i write, i wouldnt have to write such a rude response since youre wasting my time with not even $0.02 worth keeping

if youre not capable to point a good 700w+ rated power supply, go back to chan4, i dont need your unconstructive criticism.. everyone has an opinion im not aksing for your opinion im asking for a brand name and bronze rated +, thanks anyway Kid

im going to check out seasonic

#10 Macgruber, Feb 13, 2013
  12. Torn Mind

Torn Mind Diamond Member

Oh, you expect me to be your little servant and keep track of all the threads you made? I'm not obligated to read every post like mods are. I don't go to the video cards section that often.
    Your horrible grammar is a perfect fit for 4chan. Yes, and do spell terms correctly so you don't trick people into thinking you aren't fluent in your own language.

You wanna SLI two GTX 680s or something? Because the Corsair AX750 is perfectly fine for that.

You want just one GTX 680? The the Seasonic G-550 that you rejected is enough.

You google the power consumption benchmarks for yourself, since you don't like being educated by others.

13. Macgruber

Macgruber Senior member

No you got it all wrong, i just want you to keep your trashy non-college educated opinion being posted from your mommys internet out of my thread

just stop posting, youre a waste of my time, stop telling me to buy things you can afford, youre not even competent to read the threads in this post

keep making assumptions, keep being a troll, get out of my thread random, i didnt ask for you to reply this is a grown up thread, please be 18 years old before you post

#12 Macgruber, Feb 13, 2013
  14. Torn Mind

Torn Mind Diamond Member

If you want to run GTX 680s in SLI, the AX750 is indeed enough. So, do you want to admit that the AX750 is a good suggestion or not. I await to see if you will bother to care about the truth or falseness of the claim or will you continue with what you have been doing.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_680_sli_review,4.html

From Anandtech:
    [​IMG]

http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/corsair-ax750-power-supply-review/4/

#13 Torn Mind, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  15. Sleepingforest

Sleepingforest Platinum Member

Listen, macgruber, it really helps people browsing this forum casually for you to clearly state your purpose and needs in the original post. Insulting people for offering criticism you view as invalid is not productive for anyone. An example of what would be accepted much better:

It's got all the necessary information right away, rather than taking a few posts to get to the point. It contains your future plans so people can't accidentally recommend based on what they know from this thread. It's got good spelling and grammatical conventions. These are the kinds of things that allow for quick, efficient responses. From there, you would get a variety of useful answers, such as:

Most concerned with price/performance:
    Educational, along with some extra helpful tipsl:
    Filling the request as exactly as possible:
    All of those little "post-ettes" should be helpful to you in deciding upon a course of action. Just keep in mind that rudeness is rarely helpful. After all, we're here taking time out of our day to help you; the least you could do is return the favor by being polite and directly telling us what you want rather than giving a general topic and becoming angry when we can't read your mind.

#14 Sleepingforest, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  16. sobe88

sobe88 Member

17. bononos

bononos Diamond Member

lehtv is one of the more reputable members around here and he's right. Your system mildly overclocked will only consume about 300W (or a little over) peak while gaming intensely.

You've made some other ignorant/out of the loop comments in your other threads elsewhere asking for help, so take some time to read AT reviews...

18. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

Ban MacGruber, bring back TweakBoy. At least he wasn't mean-spirited.

Seriously, though, MacBoober, you claim to reject any replies that aren't "college educated", and yet you belittle some of the more "hardware educated" posts and people on this forum.

As far as I'm concerned, you're an intolerant, attention-seeking n00b.

19. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

quoted for posterity.

20. Sleepingforest

It's a good thing you quoted for posterity; it's seems that all Macgruber does now is like "turdles."

21. Charlie98

Charlie98 Diamond Member

I think he needs a Turdle MX5000W super pro modular w/nuclear power option for his PSU, it's obviously the only one that will take on his power user system.

22. Torn Mind

Torn Mind Diamond Member

I actually have a college degree. If you want to know, I took AP Calculus in high school. Derivatives and integrals for life!!!! Now, who wants a brief lecture on the difference between the inflation rate and the exchange rate.

Oh, and Mr. Grubber needs to learn a few things about the ad hominem fallacy and a little about myself. When I spec out parts, I spec them out as if I were getting it myself, and I do not spec out poor products.

Third thing this loser needs to learn is that even if I can afford something does not mean I'm actually going to buy. Perhaps he can email George Soros to go buy some power supplies and then listen Mr. Soros' (lack of) advice.

23. Maximilian

Maximilian Lifer

Hmm lets see...

- Thread is titled "Power supply question", yet the OP dosent even contain a question.

- OP gets bitchy when people offer good advice.

- OP cites number of hard drives as a main power consumer... :whiste: Anyone in a position to have so many drives that hard drive power consumption is a concern shouldn't need to ask about PSU's to begin with.

Conclusion? Troll detected, feeding of it should cease asap.

24. Sleepingforest

You forgot a key detail: he really needs the Turdle MX5000W SP Nuclear Silent+HDD Edition, not the plain Turdle MX5000W SP Nuclear Standard Edition. Otherwise, how will he power his dozens of HDDs silently?

25. Charlie98

Charlie98 Diamond Member

He may have to go with the MX7500W Completely Totally Unlocked Dude Edition cause I think he runs his washer and dryer (220v) off it, too. He said he modded the washer's PCB with a Fatal1ty mainboard and 4096GB of RAM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.