Noise Difference Between Cases

erik8ant

Mar 2, 2013
Is the casing without top exhaust more silent than the casing with top exhaust (no fans installed)?

Last edited:

Blain

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Case material?
Case build quality?
Case internal design?
Components mounted inside the cases the same?

erik8ant

Mar 2, 2013
Which is more silent based on top exhaust without fans installed? Xigmatek Asgard 382 or Cooler Master Elite 311 Plus?

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
The rule of thumb when it comes to silent builds is to have as few fans as possible and enclosed(no grills or vents to allow internal noise to escape). You will definitely need at most 2 fans and it is important to use good quality low RPM fans in a silent build.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Comparing the Coolermaster Elite 335/330 and the 342, admittedly there are more differences than just the fan position (they use the same chassis fan, in different positions), but the 342 has it at the front and I think the difference is noticeable.

I also wonder whether having a fan then something of significant size in front of a fan (say the thickness of a standard, non-slim 3.5" HDD) causes more airflow noise.

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
What I meant is between Xigmatek Asgard 382 and Cooler Master Elite 311 Plus.
Like I said, more vents equals more ways for internal noise to escape. But there is a lot to consider when it comes to building a silent system. For example, my Corsair 400R has 7 fans running but it is far quieter than my CM Elite 343. This is probably attributed to the smaller and louder 92mm rear fan, 120mm front fan and stock Intel cooler.

More vents are usually an added value feature. I personally feel that its better to have them as I could cover these vents to mimic a case without vents. Inversely, I couldn't do this with a case that has no such vents and when you need them, it is definitely more work as you'd require the tools and time to create those vents.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Something else that may be helpful/relevant was that to reduce the amount of dust getting into my system, I took a thin piece of sponge (about a centimetre thick) and taped it over the air vents on the side of the case. Internal temps have been unaffected.

You could play around with enabling/adding a chassis fan in another location on the case while blocking the top one?

One other thing to bear in mind about reducing noise levels is the position of the case in the environment. My case is partially hidden from my 'sitting at desk' view and so the noise levels will be affected by that, but also the door to the room is about 1.5m away from the case; leaving the door open means that the computer sounds less noisy, and the door closed equals more noise presumably because the sound is reflected back to my position.

In most theatres/cinemas, cushioning material such as thick curtains or something like wall carpeting helps absorb sound, whereas sitting your computer in the corner of the room means that the sound from the computer is reflected off the walls nearest to it and likely back towards you.

Last edited:

coffeejunkee

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2010
Assuming the same fans it's quite obvious that the CM Elite will be quieter. The Asgard has much more vents that allow noise to escape.

On the other hand, if you equip the Asgard with many low rpm fans, it will likely be quieter under load, because the cpu and gpu fan won't have to work so hard.

But is the noise a problem now? Are you running the fan full speed? Better to connect it to your motherboard and let it control it based on temps.

erik8ant

Mar 2, 2013
Assuming the same fans it's quite obvious that the CM Elite will be quieter. The Asgard has much more vents that allow noise to escape.

On the other hand, if you equip the Asgard with many low rpm fans, it will likely be quieter under load, because the cpu and gpu fan won't have to work so hard.

But is the noise a problem now? Are you running the fan full speed? Better to connect it to your motherboard and let it control it based on temps.
Ya I agree about the top vent. Is it neccessary to have a top vent for casing? Isn't having rear exhaust enough for heat to escape? I think it's normal to have noise come out from my Asus GTX 670 while gaming. I'm running auto fan speed.