Noise bugs the hell out of me.

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
A) I moved out of my old apartment because the trucks going by were too loud.
B) I am living with my parents until I move into my new place next month, and whenever they have the TV on in the next room I can't concentrate.

Basically, noise is my weakness in life. Anyone else have this problem? I'm paranoid about moving into the place next month because if I have noisy neighbors i'm gonna be screwed.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
I'm very easily irritated by noise. For example, I can be doing homework and I will hear a door close and lose focus.

What I do is play music to drown out other sounds. The music is constant, expected noise so it doesnt really distract me.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I can't stand noise. Unfortunately, I'm forced to bear it from time to time.
I couple years ago, I put my foot down. "No dirt bikes. No." Wife over-ruled. Kids have dirt bikes, and now I suffer.

hellokeith

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2004
Ceiling fans and floor fans are my best friend. So long as they don't whine, rattle, or ping., then they provide nice low white noise to drown out the outside. If you're real sensitive to noise, best you move to 2nd or 3rd floor apartment.

The ceiling fan and floor fan in my room have been on for 12+ months. Only time they've been off is a couple blackouts I had.

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2005
Oddly enough, I get adequate white noise from turning my computer fans up to speed. Makes it a lot easier to fall asleep. As much as an insomniac can fall asleep, that is. But generally I hate noise too.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
I don't mind noise most of the time, only when i am trying to concentrate. If there is a noise I just cant ignore it, I keep thinking about it when i should be working and such. For this reason I usually do work between 1 AM and 5AM. Probably not the best idea, but if people are around I cannot concentrate for the life of me.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Nah, I can usually drown it out. Except the sound of people chewing. Outside of a meal setting I can't stand the sound of people chewing. Noise carries in the halls at my office and my office is just down the hall from the kitchen. I HATE it when people grab a snack in the kitchen and chew with their mouth open as they walk back to their office. WERE THEY RAISED BY WOLVES?!!!!

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Same here. That's why I do everything at night. I just can't function during the day. Too much ambient noise.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
I have been told that the only real option is to move into your own place (too expensive!!) and make sure the walls are made very solid (cement?) with double or even triple pane windows.

I don't have that sort of money, so i am stuck with dealing. I find that I am spending more and more hours in my research lab after hours because the only noise is the hvac.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I used to have the same problem until I started on my new meds. Now everything is wonderful :D

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Same here, but I keep my window closed and my door shut. But Im not over-looking a major road.

ChaoZ

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2000
I live near a busy street and I swear imma go crazy one of these days. There's the stupid sounds of birds chirping, loudass motorcycles, buses, damn restaurant and their garbaging of bottles, and the list goes on. I want to upgrade to some sound proof windows, but I can't afford it...

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
doesn't really bother me at all... I mean, it sucks to get woken up early in the morning because the people downstairs are playing some techno with the base so high that my floor is vibrating, but just normal, typical noise like cars driving down the street, trains off in the distance, or people talking outside? doesn't bother me at all.

of course, I've had plenty of time to learn to deal. I grew up (and currently live) near three major airports (newark, JFK, la guardia), so there's always planes going overhead at all hours, and for 3 out of 4 years at college, I lived with a window facing a somewhat busy train line a stone's throw away.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: mugs
Nah, I can usually drown it out. Except the sound of people chewing. Outside of a meal setting I can't stand the sound of people chewing. Noise carries in the halls at my office and my office is just down the hall from the kitchen. I HATE it when people grab a snack in the kitchen and chew with their mouth open as they walk back to their office. WERE THEY RAISED BY WOLVES?!!!!

Holy fvck yes. That sound drives me batsh!t insane. I don't even like it at a meal setting, unless it is in very populated/loud place like a cafeteria.