Noctua NH-U14S

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
case.jpg

Finally got around to take out the Enermax. I think the pump died, 1950x was thermal throttling pretty bad.

Ya think 6 140mm fans is enough to cool it down? Will be interesting to see how well it does on air, I had to reduce the OC back to stock speeds. But, that's the price to be had for air cooling. Still getting around 3.4~3.7 at about 61~64 C @ full load 24/7. Not bad...not bad...

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Do you get the same or different CPU temperatures when the GPU is idle/ is loaded?
(IOW, does the NH-U14S pull in air that already went through the GPU's radiator?)

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Well, my gpu I limit it to 59~61 C, because if I ran it full on it would probably melt the CPU cooler! LOL It's an evga with a copper plate on the back that gets really toasty. and Yes, the CPU is pulling air from the back plate, but, there are two 140 intake fans mounted up at the top, that is pushing fresh air towards the cooler. so it's probably not too bad, however it is pretty hot as all that air is pushed to the back of the case where the 140 fan in the back and 1 on the top are exhausting it.

I haven't tried to idle the gpu to test to see if it effects the temps, I'm guessing it might go down a degree or two. I'll try it and let you know! :) I was hoping to move the GPU down at the bottom slots but, I think this motherboard only works for single gpu on slot 1 (per the manual states).

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Yes it's the TR4-SP3 premium-grade, it was the only reason I bought it, otherwise I'd have bought a second enermax if amazon had one in stock. Coming from an enermax liqtech tr4 360...since I really didn't want to RMA and be without a functional computer as it's my only one at this point. Not only that but I really wanted to try this cooler out with all the positive reviews it's gotten.

Yeah, the problem with anandtech cooling review they didn't run it for 24/7 full throttle tests.

Thanks Tony, I got a second fan on the way. Kit came with the clips for the second one.

**I snoozed the GPU, and as it got cooler (took awhile) the temps did drop 1/2 degrees as expected.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I snoozed the GPU, and as it got cooler (took awhile) the temps did drop 1/2 degrees as expected.
Sounds like most of the GPU cooler's exhaust is pulled directly by the rear case fan, and maybe top case fan, and only a small part of it is pulled by the CPU cooler's fan.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Well, there are two different flavors of the GPU style coolers, one is a blower usually a single fan that blows the air out of the case. Or like mine, that basically forces the air out of the top of the cooler fins and back into the case where if the airflow is good, the hot air is supposed to rise and yes, get pulled out by the top exhaust case fans.

Of course you can water cool a gpu as well, but usually one would be installing a custom loop, for both cpu and gpu. Thought about going this route a few times but would cost about 6-700 bucks for that. Since, about 250 for both water blocks, and if you are in it that deep, might as well get top shelf rads, pumps, etc...etc... depends on how much money you are willing to spend. Maybe the next TR as it looks like stocks for AMD on the rise.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I have watercooled systems with dual and triple 250 W GPUs. In addition I have a single GPU system with open-air GPU cooler, but this system differs from your setup in several regards: Case is Silverstone TJ-08E -> motherboard is rotated such that GPU is above CPU; no top or bottom case exhaust, only rear exhaust; no exhaust case fan, only a 180 mm intake case fan; GPU is a 170 W TDP GPU. That's why I was curious and asked whether your GPU influences CPU cooling much. (But as you observe just a degree or so, you obviously have enough air flow through the case to prevent such interference almost entirely.) Also, being a user of Noctua dual-tower coolers (NH-D14, NH-D15S), and not owning a TR4 or SP3 system yet, I am interested in user reports such as yours on how single-tower coolers perform on a high-TDP CPU such as Threadripper.

Reactions: ericlp