Question Noctua NH-D15 1366 socket to 1151 socket

memory

Oct 3, 2010
I have a desktop that has an intel i7-920 cpu using a noctua nh-d15 cooler. This desktop is not used all that much. My main desktop is running an 8700k with cryorig h5. Would it be possible to install the noctua on the 8700k? Do they make an adapter for that?

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
The NH-D15 was not invented yet when the i7-920 was being sold. If the i7-920 system has a Noctua heatsink, it is probably an NH-D14. I have both, so I can assure you that they are different from each other. OTOH, later NH-D14's were sold with the Noctua mount, which fits most sockets. If you have an early NH-D14, the mount in the link above will certainly allow you to fit the Noctua mount to a motherboard for the i7-8700k -- I know because I used to test heatsinks on an i7-8700k system. One last thing: if you still have the receipt for your NH purchase (I still have a scanned copy of mine) you might try corresponding with Noctua. It is possible they may send you an adapter without charging you for it.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
If your cooler's mounting isn't compatible with the board you want to pair it with, there's still a good chance you may get a mounting kit for it, possibly for free.

I bought an NH-C14 cooler roughly 10 years ago. When i bought my Ryzen system two years ago, i wanted to use this cooler for it. Obviously, AM4 socket didn't exist @ the time this cooler was bought but i requested from Noctua an AM4 Mounting Kit and they sent me one free of charge: took roughly a week to arrive.

Obviously the socket you want your cooler for isn't the same but you can contact Noctua and explain the situation: if you do what i did (link above: don't need the boxes but pics of @ least two of either board / CPU / cooler are required, unless you have the invoices, ofc), Noctua should help you out.

Last edited:

memory

Oct 3, 2010
The NH-D15 was not invented yet when the i7-920 was being sold. If the i7-920 system has a Noctua heatsink, it is probably an NH-D14. I have both, so I can assure you that they are different from each other. OTOH, later NH-D14's were sold with the Noctua mount, which fits most sockets. If you have an early NH-D14, the mount in the link above will certainly allow you to fit the Noctua mount to a motherboard for the i7-8700k -- I know because I used to test heatsinks on an i7-8700k system. One last thing: if you still have the receipt for your NH purchase (I still have a scanned copy of mine) you might try corresponding with Noctua. It is possible they may send you an adapter without charging you for it.

You are correct, I have the NH-D14, still have the box for it. The one I have is compatible with intel 1366, 1156, 775 socket.

It looks I can still get it for free, says so right on their website. I will check into that, should be able to find invoices through my order history on newegg.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
You are correct, I have the NH-D14, still have the box for it. The one I have is compatible with intel 1366, 1156, 775 socket.

It looks I can still get it for free, says so right on their website. I will check into that, should be able to find invoices through my order history on newegg.
The only problem is they want like $7 to ship it ! Most likely the $7.95 one on Amazon is free shipping. Thats what happened to me, not worth it for 95 cents less. I just got the Amazon one.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018

If you're unable to find it, no need to be worried. The following mentions AM4 mounting kit because it's from the AM4 mounting kit's form but it should be the same for other different mounting kits:

We strictly require a valid proof of purchase (electronic version or scan/photo of the invoice) of both a Noctua CPU cooler and either an AM4 motherboard or AM4 CPU in order to process your request. In case you've lost the invoice of your Noctua CPU cooler, please write your full name and the current date on a piece of paper, take a photo of the paper next to your CPU cooler and upload it as proof of purchase. Please note that your name has to be clearly readable and that we can't process requests without proper proof of purchase.

hKK1MWI.png

This is the pic i used to order an AM4 mounting kit from Noctua, linked in my previous reply (except my full name and e-mail weren't covered in white, obviously).

Odds are good you'll be able to get a free mounting kit because my cooler had been discontinued for YEARS by the time i ordered the mounting kit and they still sent it to me, no questions asked.

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009

Since your D14 is compatible with LGA 1156, it is also compatible with the MB for the 8700k. I got my first D14 for the 1156 socket. It fit an 8700k system perfectly.

I did a review on a refanned D14 on Overclockers.com, dated 7/25/18. The stock fans are pretty good, but lagged 5c behind the leader.

memory

Oct 3, 2010
The only problem is they want like $7 to ship it ! Most likely the $7.95 one on Amazon is free shipping. Thats what happened to me, not worth it for 95 cents less. I just got the Amazon one.

Wow good grief, nothing was said about shipping costs anywhere about this. You are right, if I need it, might as well just buy it. But I may not need this at all, my cooler maybe compatible with lga1151.

If you're unable to find it, no need to be worried. The following mentions AM4 mounting kit because it's from the AM4 mounting kit's form but it should be the same for other different mounting kits:

hKK1MWI.png

This is the pic i used to order an AM4 mounting kit from Noctua, linked in my previous reply (except my full name and e-mail weren't covered in white, obviously).

Odds are good you'll be able to get a free mounting kit because my cooler had been discontinued for YEARS by the time i ordered the mounting kit and they still sent it to me, no questions asked.
I was able to find the order for it through the order history, all the way back to 2010, holy crap where does time go lol.

Since your D14 is compatible with LGA 1156, it is also compatible with the MB for the 8700k. I got my first D14 for the 1156 socket. It fit an 8700k system perfectly.

I did a review on a refanned D14 on Overclockers.com, dated 7/25/18. The stock fans are pretty good, but lagged 5c behind the leader.

Dang, if I knew that at the time I put together my current build, I would have used it. Must have thought it wouldn't work for whatever reason, maybe it was a clearance issue with the ram or something. But doubt that is the case. Oh well, I filled the form out and will see what they say.