• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Noctua DH-15 with Double Height RAM?

dsc106

May 31, 2012
I’m looking at 5950x + Noctua DH-15 + 128gb (4x32gb) double height DDR4 3600 memory modules from either Corsair or GSkill (such as the Gskill Ripjaw Series V 32gb modules).

My concern is that this cooler won’t work with the taller double height RAM? I know that I can move the fan up, and I do have a somewhat large case (Lian Li A71F) - but is it enough?

As well, should I consider the smaller DH-15S model, or is it too much of a compromise with the 5950x heat? I’d prefer not to go AIO this time around, but I’m also not against it if it is what is best.

UsandThem

Elite Member
Super Moderator
May 4, 2000
Noctua maintains a detailed list on their website for every model of cooler they sell, and lists combability with motherboard models (and the RAM clearance). You just need to look at the height of your RAM modules, and then look at their diagrams.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
should I consider the smaller DH-15S model, or is it too much of a compromise with the 5950x heat?
NH-D15 and NH-D15S are equivalent except for
  • one more fan coming in the box with NH-D15,
  • a slight lateral asymmetry of NH-D15S to make some room for cards in the nearest PCIe slot.
Importantly, the coldplate is the same. Secondary to your question, radiator size is the same. Mounting material for a second fan is included in the box of NH-D15S. Therefore, NH-D15S's performance is not actually compromised in comparison with NH-D15.

I am using NH-D15Ss with 180+ W CPUs under 24/7/365 computational load without air conditioning, and they don't break a sweat. These are 14nm CPUs though, hence less troubled with the heat flux density of these modern 7nm CPUs. The problem with heat flux density, a.k.a. hot spots, concerns the construction of the coldplate. As noted, NH-D15 and NH-D15S are identical in this regard.

dsc106

May 31, 2012
Thanks so much! For anyone else who may come across this - looks like I will easily be good, at least with the 42mm height Gskill 32gb modules.

ASK THE COMMUNITY