No Zucchini?

xCxStylex

Apr 6, 2003
I couldn't find any zucchini at my local Ralphs nor Ranch 99.

Ralphs is a Kroger large chain grocery store, and Ranch 99 is a large chain Chinese grocery store, and Asian grocery stores have WAY more selections of vegetables, meats, and fishes than your local whitey one.

As a "summer squash," it's season is May - August, but shouldn't they also be available year round? Where can I find some if my local grocery stores don't have any? Do I just have to wait another couple of months?

Where is the zucchini :[

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Huh...haven't had any problem finding it around here. Just had some tempura fried a few nights ago...

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
It's usually available here year-round as well, although this time of year, it's probably from Mexico, and we don't buy ANY produce from Mexico. (their health and cleanliness standards leave much to be desired)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I couldn't find any zucchini at my local Ralphs nor Ranch 99.

Ralphs is a Kroger large chain grocery store, and Ranch 99 is a large chain Chinese grocery store, and Asian grocery stores have WAY more selections of vegetables, meats, and fishes than your local whitey one.

As a "summer squash," it's season is May - August, but shouldn't they also be available year round? Where can I find some if my local grocery stores don't have any? Do I just have to wait another couple of months?

Where is the zucchini :[

my local "whitey" grocery stores have a shit ton of veggies and meats.

What you are experiencing has nothing to do with Asian vs whitey, and everything to do with the fact that you are in California.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It's usually available here year-round as well, although this time of year, it's probably from Mexico, and we don't buy ANY produce from Mexico. (their health and cleanliness standards leave much to be desired)

do you buy a lot of South American produce? most of the US winter produce supply is imported from Brazil/Argentina/Chile, iirc.

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005

And you really think that American crops worked by Mexican fieldhands are any cleaner?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
do you buy a lot of South American produce? most of the US winter produce supply is imported from Brazil/Argentina/Chile, iirc.

Some from Chile...but not very much. Often, we'll pass on much of the fresh vegetables and fruit during the winter if it's not grown in the USA.

And you really think that American crops worked by Mexican fieldhands are any cleaner?

:hmm:

Slightly cleaner anyway. Yes, the fieldhands still shit and piss in the fields, at least partly because farm labor contractors won't provide porta-potties for them. (IMO, probably a major cause of the e-coli outbreaks that seem to happen every year)
BUT, at least here in the USA, we don't dump our untreated sewage into the same streams and rivers that are used to irrigate our crops.

(yes, many places DO dump TREATED sewage water into the rivers and waterways, but generally, that water is pretty clean.

That's not the case in most of Mexico. VERY lax health and sanitation standards.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
BUT, at least here in the USA, we don't dump our untreated sewage into the same streams and rivers that are used to irrigate our crops.

Oh, but we do. There are people around here that have several businesses. One of which is septic work and the other is farming. They drive their filled up septic trucks across the fields spraying the waste over the crops as fertilizer.

bobdole369

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2004
Confirmed, Lots of zucchini available at Publix, a regional chain grocery in the southeast. I will gladly ship you a package for actual cost x2 plus shipping x2.