No video signal with KG7 and 1700+

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Just got a 1700+ Tbred B. Installed it and I get no video signal from my computer at all. The fans turn on and everything, but I get no video signal. I have the latest bios, and I have reset it several times. I tried reseating the video card also without success.... any ideas?

fell8

Nov 12, 2001
Test the vid card in a different system, or a known working vid card in the problem system.

Most likely candidate is bad MB, but could also be dead/defective PS or CPU. Any other problem and you should get a beep code (assuming system speaker works). Good luck!

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Originally posted by: fell8
Test the vid card in a different system, or a known working vid card in the problem system.

Most likely candidate is bad MB, but could also be dead/defective PS or CPU. Any other problem and you should get a beep code (assuming system speaker works). Good luck!

CPU was DOA. Tested it in 3 systems without it working.

Richdog

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2003
Hiya Gobadgrs I had this exact same problem before when i upgraded to an 1800+ on my KG-7 (just bought an NF7-S, YAY!) and the problem was that in the BIOS I had the option for 'CPU hold when fan off' option enabled. And basically since I had a 4-pin fan that didn't connect to the motherboard the BIOS thought I had no fan so did exactly what you describe, didn't bring up any video even though the fans were whirring away. Disabling that option in the BIOS after clearing the CMOS fixed it.

EDIT - Just read that you said the CPU was a dud, unlucky mate... :(

fell8

Nov 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs

Yeah, sad to hear, but not surprising. I hope you caught it soon enough to RMA (one reason I no longer buy non-retail CPUs--can't beat a 3-year warranty).

On a completely unrelated topic, here's a link to a thread concerning WI politics (one of my little hobbies). Check it out if you're interested.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs

Yeah, sad to hear, but not surprising. I hope you caught it soon enough to RMA (one reason I no longer buy non-retail CPUs--can't beat a 3-year warranty).

On a completely unrelated topic, here's a link to a thread concerning WI politics (one of my little hobbies). Check it out if you're interested.

Actually I bought it from a guy on the boards.... still waiting to hear back from him