No Video Signal During Normal Use

Hankysmoo

Golden Member
May 27, 2000
I am using my computer browsing some websites for a homework assignment I was doing and all of a sudden, the video signal cuts off and I am unable to wake it up. My monitor went into standby power saving mode while I could still see that my computer was processing something, as indicated by the orange flashing light on my Tower. I didn't know what to do so I just pressed the reset button and everything appears to be normal. Has anyone experienced this before? What is this an indication of?

I just ran adware and now I am virus scanning...

My specs:
Shuttle AN35N (temp @ 38C)
AMD Barton 2500+ @ 2.1ghz (default voltage, temps at 47C)
2x512 pc2700 Kingston overclocked to 3200
Radeon 9800 Pro
250gb Maxtor
Nec 2500a
Benq 52x CDRW
Antec 300W PSU
Winxp Pro w/ SP2

globalcitizen

Sep 6, 2004
If this happens regularly something may be amiss with your video card. Is there a possibility to check it with another system?

Hankysmoo

Golden Member
May 27, 2000
Originally posted by: globalcitizen
If this happens regularly something may be amiss with your video card. Is there a possibility to check it with another system?

It's the first time it's happened so hopefully it was just a fluke.

DetroitSportsFan

Oct 19, 2004

OR

Your monitor may be about shot. I had this problem on a system I owned back around 1999 - 2000. The monitor would do alright for a while, then it would shut off. If you turned the power to it off for a while and allowed it to cool down, it would start back up. In my case, I replaced the monitor and have never seen this kind of problem since. Now a days though, a good used 17 inch monitor in my area runs about $35 - $40 dollars.

In either case, I'd wait to see if its going to be an on going issue. I'd certainly look at both your vid card including the connection with the monitor as well as your monitor as possible causes of the problem. If this problem continues, swap parts with known good parts before you rush out and buy. Its no fun to purchase parts that you can't return only to find out they aren't what you need.

Hankysmoo

Golden Member
May 27, 2000
Originally posted by: DetroitSportsFan

OR

Your monitor may be about shot. I had this problem on a system I owned back around 1999 - 2000. The monitor would do alright for a while, then it would shut off. If you turned the power to it off for a while and allowed it to cool down, it would start back up. In my case, I replaced the monitor and have never seen this kind of problem since. Now a days though, a good used 17 inch monitor in my area runs about $35 - $40 dollars.

In either case, I'd wait to see if its going to be an on going issue. I'd certainly look at both your vid card including the connection with the monitor as well as your monitor as possible causes of the problem. If this problem continues, swap parts with known good parts before you rush out and buy. Its no fun to purchase parts that you can't return only to find out they aren't what you need.

I forgot to mention that I have a Dell 1800FP LCD, if that makes any difference. I would hope that it is still in good shape, as it is only a little over a year old.

BlueD0T

Sep 11, 2004
first try to reseat the connection afew times. if that does not work reseat the video card. and reset your biso defalts (maybe the standby settings got changed)