• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

No video on Toshiba model Satellite L670D laptop computer

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
Trying to troubleshoot the problem of this laptop computer not having any video.

ZERO video display upon trying to boot machine.

Am only getting AC power connection indicator light and power-on light when the power button is pressed.

Am NOT seeing any indication of the hard drive light functioning, i.e. is it not lighting up upon attempting to boot.

I do NOT think that the problem is that the display/screen itself is bad because I have hooked a known good LCD external monitor to the external monitor port on the side of the laptop and still no video on that external monitor - I tested the external monitor on my desktop computer and it functioned just fine.

The Internet data on this Toshiba laptop, says that there is an "Inverter card" of some type that drives the built-in laptop display/screen. If that "Inverter card" is bad, would that ALSO keep the video from working to an external display screen that is plugged into the video port on the side of the laptop, i.e. is there a separate VIDEO CARD in these laptops or is this "inverter card" the same thing as the video card and if that inverter card is bad would that keep the display port on the side of the laptop from receiving a video signal ???

I assume the reason that I am not seeing the hard drive indicator light functioning on the laptop is that since it is not finding video function upon attempted boot, that it never reaches the point of trying to access the hard drive, is that a safe assumption ???

I tried a bootable CD in the CD drive but without video it is really not possible to tell if the machine is attempting to boot to that CD.

Thanks.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Sounds like it just won't post/boot. Check to see if your RAM is seated properly. Take it out and reinstall it. Other than that, or possibly a bad CPU, I'm not really sure :/

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
Sounds like it just won't post/boot. Check to see if your RAM is seated properly. Take it out and reinstall it. Other than that, or possibly a bad CPU, I'm not really sure :/
Thanks but that is one of the first things that I tried. Even placed the module in the other slot, still nothing.

According to what I am seeing on various other forums, it appears that generally that video cards are NOT replaceable in laptops other than by replacing the entire motherboard. Am I reading that correctly ??

Thanks.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
That's correct. A GPU upgrade in a laptop is rare. According to this document, Toshiba says the GPU in their laptops are soldered on, which means no upgrade.

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
That's correct. A GPU upgrade in a laptop is rare. According to this document, Toshiba says the GPU in their laptops are soldered on, which means no upgrade.
Do you know where that document came from ?

Is it current or is this something that might be out-of-date ?

I see that it says that ALL GPU are permanent on the motherboard but I am wondering if this is really true for ALL of their newest laptop offerings.

Thanks.

ASK THE COMMUNITY