No verical sync

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
I just got this game and it seems pretty nice, the RPG type I enjoy, but there is one serious issue: I can't enable v-sync no matter what and the screen tearing makes it unplayable. I tried putting it "always on" in Catalyst Control Center and nothing. It isn't an option in the game's menu either.

I tried to use dtp forums, but I can't log in, even though I have an account made there.

So, does anyone else have this issue? Is there a fix for it, because I really like this game?

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Sorry. I don't have the game so I can't answer your question. However, I am thinking about picking up this game. I really enjoy RPG's like the Gothic series, Morrowind, even Two Worlds. If you've played any of those, how do you think Drakensang compares?

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
I'm right at the beginning and from what I've seen it's right near those you've listed. It seems very similar to Gothic, but the good Gothic2 not 3.:) The thing is that I haven't managed to play it seriously, since the screen tearing is hellish. I'd like to sort this problem first.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Gothic 2 hu? It's a must buy in my book then. :)

Thanks for the info and good luck solving the vsync issues. I did run across this doing a quick google search. http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6502

Sounds like there was possibly an issue with vsync enabled and stuttering in the german version, so maybe they took the option out for the english version. Just a guess.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: mindcycle
Gothic 2 hu? It's a must buy in my book then. :)

Thanks for the info and good luck solving the vsync issues. I did run across this doing a quick google search. http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6502

Sounds like there was possibly an issue with vsync enabled and stuttering in the german version, so maybe they took the option out for the english version. Just a guess.

Thanks for that. It sucks then, if they removed V-sync for good. :(

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: WaitingForNehalem
Maybe try downloading ATI Tray Tool.

I have it installed and forced V-sync from it and it doesn't work.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Actually, Drakensang is more like NWN from a closer camera angle than it is to Gothic/Morrowind/etc. I hope that doesn't dissuade you but that's the best example I can think of. Complete with space bar pausing to issue commands and control over all of your party.

It's got some issues, but the old school appeal makes it a lot of fun to play. Combat can be unforgiving if you don't capitalize on your party's strengths.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Oh and sorry error8, I'm not really any help on Vsync. I have an nvidia card and no reason to enable vsync at all.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Originally posted by: skace
Actually, Drakensang is more like NWN from a closer camera angle than it is to Gothic/Morrowind/etc. I hope that doesn't dissuade you but that's the best example I can think of. Complete with space bar pausing to issue commands and control over all of your party.

It's got some issues, but the old school appeal makes it a lot of fun to play. Combat can be unforgiving if you don't capitalize on your party's strengths.

That's what I gathered from reading reviews. I played and liked the original NWN, didn't really like 2 much. I bought it through amazon for $28 with free shipping, so even if it's not my cup of tea, it's still cheap enough to justify trying out. Thanks for the additional info.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: mindcycle

I bought it through amazon for $28 with free shipping, so even if it's not my cup of tea, it's still cheap enough to justify trying out. Thanks for the additional info.

For 28$ is more then worth buying. You can't go wrong with it for such a price.

vj8usa

Dec 19, 2005
Originally posted by: error8
Originally posted by: vj8usa
Have you tried using d3doverrider (comes with rivatuner)?

Where is it? I can't find it. :eek:

For me (I have rivatuner 2.11 installed), there's a "Tools" folder in rivatuner's main directory that has it (d3doverrider.exe).

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
GOD BLESS YOU vj8usa!!!! Your d3doverrider did the trick! Darkensang has vertical sync for the first time. I can't thank you enough for your advice. :beer::beer::beer:

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
i'm having problem with the game, it crashes every 8-10 minutes....

i'm running vista 64/ 4 gig/ 8800 GT (works fine with age of conan, that's a resource hog). before the crash, i'd see color snow on the screen, then it locks up and system reboot.
maybe i need to upgrade my PSU, since it came with the case ( a paltry 450w).

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by: error8
Or maybe it's your videocard overheating/dieing.

i hope not...it's 1 year old....

well i'm going to redo the fan configuration, and add another pci slot fan just in case. in the meantime, i'll just watch .avi

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: skace
I have an nvidia card and no reason to enable vsync at all.

Am I misunderstainding you? Are you saying that because your card is nVidia based, that you don't need Vsync? Or are you saying that you own an nVidia card and that you ALSO have no reason to use Vsync? If it is the former, your wrong. Just want to correct any type of potential misinformation out there.