No Two Snowflakes Are Exactly Alike

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
There's a lot of snow outside right now... I would like a scientist to come examine every snowflake please. kthnx.

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
per wiki

The American Meteorological Society has reported that matching snow crystals were discovered in Wisconsin in 1988 by Nancy Knight of the National Center for Atmospheric Research.[citation needed] The crystals were not flakes in the usual sense but rather hollow hexagonal prisms.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Gibsons
per wiki

The American Meteorological Society has reported that matching snow crystals were discovered in Wisconsin in 1988 by Nancy Knight of the National Center for Atmospheric Research.[citation needed] The crystals were not flakes in the usual sense but rather hollow hexagonal prisms.

THEN STOP SPREADING FALSITIES "MY FRIENDS TIGGER AND POOH".
I don't want my daughter growing up believing in LIES.

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Modeps
Originally posted by: JohnCU
no two anythings are exactly alike.

How can you be sure?

Just think about the different configurations of all the electrons and protons and neutrons that produce something. What are the chances that all the subatomic particles of say, two exact pencils, are exactly arranged the same?

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: DisgruntledVirus

What about my clones in my clone army I am about to unleash upon the world?

At the very least, the immune systems will have differences, probably different fingerprints and (IIRC) different patterns of sulci in the brain.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
There's a lot of snow outside right now... I would like a scientist to come examine every snowflake please. kthnx.
it is hard to fathom.. then again no two people are alike or ever will be either.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000

At the very least, the immune systems will have differences, probably different fingerprints and (IIRC) different patterns of sulci in the brain.

We're not talking about complex systems here, we're talking snowflakes... simple ice crystals.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: techs
Please save all your snowflakes.
I can make there next tuesday.

Will do, they'll be out on my lawn. To repay you, I will make you Chicken Marsala.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
per wiki

Im sorry, thats just too much wasted time on their hands to actually LOOK for matching snowflakes. I hope our tax dollars dont help fund this. :)

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003

We're not talking about complex systems here, we're talking snowflakes... simple ice crystals.

crystallization is not a simple science, however. While it is thermodynamically supported, the specific growth is left to chance. Many crystals, like snowflakes grow from seeds. In the air, the "seeds" are all different yielding different snowflakes. Also, the growth mechanism is not fully understood in terms the balance between nucleation and growth of crystal. Additionally, inclusion of defects is random and growth conditions are transient. This leads to no two crystals being identical in every sense, since even when some control is brought to crystal grwoth (in the lab for example) no two crystals are identical.

Snapster

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001

How can you be sure?

Just think about the different configurations of all the electrons and protons and neutrons that produce something. What are the chances that all the subatomic particles of say, two exact pencils, are exactly arranged the same?

That and they aren't going to be standing in the same position at the same point in time therefore are not exactly like.

tw1164

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
per wiki

THEN STOP SPREADING FALSITIES "MY FRIENDS TIGGER AND POOH".
I don't want my daughter growing up believing in LIES.

Haha, Tigger & Pooh was the first thing I thought of when I read the title. She watches it everyday.