No TV in Win 8 media center

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
Actually, the tuner (ATI HDTV wonder) is installed, working, and media center goes through and even shows signal strength for all of the channels, but when I try to launch live TV, it says that there is no signal for that channel.
Any idea what is wrong (besides it being windows 8)? I'm about ready to just go back to windows 7 where everything always worked perfectly. I really can't see any upside to 8 except some slightly nicer UI in some places. Media center looks identical except it doesn't work! I find the metro start screen annoying on my desktop but perfect on my win 7 phone!

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
This seems to be a problem with more than just my ATI TV tuners. People with Silicon Dust tuners are also having the same problems although they seem to be able to record, just not watch live TV. Mine won't do either. I've got a Pinnacle usb stick TV tuner that I will try later today...

Crow550

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2005
I had this issue in Windows 7 when I tried to install the new driver from the manufacturer site.

When I installed Windows 8 the Live TV worked fine.

However I had to do a refresh (quick clean reinstall that restores your saved data but removes your installed programs) as something was causing an issue due to Windows Easy Transfer restoring app settings. (Always make sure app settings is off when restoring a backup in a new version of Windows. I usually do this but was in a hurry.)

I can DVR shows. I just can't seem to see the Live TV shows. I am going to try a clean removal and install of the TV tuner card either with the AMD Catalyst Un-install Utility or Driver Fusion which use to be Driver Sweeper. Then uninstall and reinstall Media Center.

See if it helps. I would just use the driver Windows finds.

Last edited:

Tegeril

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2003
spdfreak, what company do you use for tv service? Some markets of FIOS, for example, no longer support the ATI DCTs. I have two that are now useless to me but I picked up a Ceton tuner and haven't had issues under Win 7 or Win 8.

Edit: Wait, HDTV Wonder isn't the DCT…oops.

Last edited:

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
Hmm.. if you can't see live shows but your DVR is working, it sounds like HDCP is messing up. Do you happen to be using a 2560x1440 monitor? Have you tried minimizing and maximizing the WMC window? Or tried a different connector to your display?

spdfreak

Mar 6, 2000
Still no luck... DVR is not working, it will let me schedule recording and show good signal strength for the channel but no TV or recording. I get OTA broadcast channels, not cable. I'm using a regular 1080p 23in monitor over DVI. As I mentioned, people with Silicon Dust tuners are also having issues on win8, so it's not an isolated incident. I've gone back to my win7 install since there doesn't seem to be a resolution for this. I have no real love for win8 anyways...