No spike in coronavirus in places reopening, U.S. health secretary says

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
For one thing, we need to wait the requisite 14 days minimum to see the spikes. Every state/area needs to be evaluated 14 days after the reopen date.
"Authorities are not seeing spikes in coronavirus cases in places that are reopening but are seeing increases in some areas that remain
closed, U.S. health secretary Alex Azar said on Sunday".

As you can see, he's playing word salad with "spikes" and "increases" to try to make some point.
i.e. We may not be seeing "spikes yet, because it's not been a full 14 days since some areas reopened. But there still may be increases.
In the shelter at home areas, azar is saying some areas are increasing. But notice he doesn't use the word, spike.
Plus he doesn't actually state what areas are seeing what he's claiming. If he sees that, he's cherry picking data, but he's still
not telling us where this is occurring.

WTF happened to Azar? I guess the orange menace threatened his job unless he signed that compact with the devil himself.
At what point does he think that having that shitty job is worth his soul? The orange menace probably told him to put out some happy news,
or else. Especially since Obama excoriated the orange menace yesterday.

Stupidest shit that he could say. It's going to be easily refuted.
Texas's largest spikes ever in CV

This is from the WH, supposedly, 5 days ago.
White House data showcases that COVID-19 cases are spreading inland.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Fortunately Republicans won't be killing innocent idiots that believe them because the virus is a hoax anyway

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
He is also saying that people dying is partially their fault.

Fuck all the assholes in this administration.
You gotta love a narcissistic psychopath. "I have such a tremendous inhibition to tell people to go fuck themselves like he can. He's my hero. I am living for the first time in years through him vicariously. heaven sent, that man"

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
For one thing, we need to wait the requisite 14 days minimum to see the spikes. Every state/area needs to be evaluated 14 days after the reopen date.
"Authorities are not seeing spikes in coronavirus cases in places that are reopening but are seeing increases in some areas that remain
closed, U.S. health secretary Alex Azar said on Sunday".

As you can see, he's playing word salad with "spikes" and "increases" to try to make some point.
i.e. We may not be seeing "spikes yet, because it's not been a full 14 days since some areas reopened. But there still may be increases.
In the shelter at home areas, azar is saying some areas are increasing. But notice he doesn't use the word, spike.
Plus he doesn't actually state what areas are seeing what he's claiming. If he sees that, he's cherry picking data, but he's still
not telling us where this is occurring.

WTF happened to Azar? I guess the orange menace threatened his job unless he signed that compact with the devil himself.
At what point does he think that having that shitty job is worth his soul? The orange menace probably told him to put out some happy news,
or else. Especially since Obama excoriated the orange menace yesterday.

Stupidest shit that he could say. It's going to be easily refuted.
Texas's largest spikes ever in CV

This is from the WH, supposedly, 5 days ago.
White House data showcases that COVID-19 cases are spreading inland.
Georgia started May 1, so we're past 14 days.

esquared

Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
It looks like the need to wait until the end of the month to get full data.

At least Georgia didn't go "full Wisconsin", of which we will see the effect of that at the end of the month first week in June.

Georgia at least kept bars and clubs closed and limited seating in restaurants. At least until the end of May.

Last edited:

esquared

Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
He is also saying that people dying is partially their fault.

Fuck all the assholes in this administration.
Yeah, saw that today, in a interview with Jake Tapper.
"Providing Azar an opportunity to clean up his response because it sounded like the HHS chief was saying
“the reason there are so many dead Americans is because we’re unhealthier than the rest of the world,” Tapper
took issue with Azar laying the blame on the American people for them dying from the virus. "

Azar, also refused to callout the orange menace's son Eric for his conspiracy theories.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
It would really be great if it was ok to re-open!
But we all know that even the states that will get hit hard and are getting hit hard that have reopened will not accurately report dog doodoo!
Why?
Because this has become political and we ass american citizens are expendable based on any number of things!
You must remember we have a comsumate liar in the White House who has surrounded himself almost totally with liars!!

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Thanks for this post. Great guy to follow (should I ever join the twitterverse).
R nought of 1.10 is a good looking trend. I wonder how much interstate travel has decreased and what it's impact has been on spread (haven't found good data yet).
I've been driving 60 miles to Duluth (north-east of Atlanta) from my town (south-west of Atlanta) a few times a week. Traffic on Interstate 85 is lighter, but there are still lots and lots of people driving.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I went to a flea market today and saw a lot of vulnerable old people meandering about. Some people still don't even try to cover their face when they cough. Idiots.

Each time I visited West GA Flea Market after I returned from Thailand on February 16, I always wore the mask I brought back with me from Thailand (every Saturday + Sunday until the lockdown mid-March). Back then CDC and WHO still recommended no masks. Since May 2 I finally see lots of other people wearing masks, but not enough of them.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Thanks for this post. Great guy to follow (should I ever join the twitterverse).
R nought of 1.10 is a good looking trend. I wonder how much interstate travel has decreased and what it's impact has been on spread (haven't found good data yet).

It's only looking good because of the social distancing measures that have been in place. The potential for exponential spread didn't go away. It's kinda like Chernobyl- there's no going back if you fuck it up bad enough.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
thats what happens when the orange piece of shit is allowed to replace everyone with his butt buddies.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Lets wait until August to just see what turns out to be fact and what turned out to be fiction. In the near future we will see up swings and down swings but it will be August that will give us the overall. Something else to look out for, faked and suppressed numbers from states. No republican governor nor this president will want to be proven wrong for reopening too soon, so expect states ran by republican governors to fudge the numbers and better yet simply block the numbers from ever seeing the light of day. And same goes for this president. When the states begin hiding and suppressing the numbers, Donald Trump will echo those republican governors faked numbers. Everything is just peachy, they will say., as more people die.

But I do have an idea to save us all. What we need to do is have Barack Obama run again. For Barack Obama to just do it. Run for president, get elected in a landslide, then later have the newly elected democratic congress validate it all. Including changing the laws if necessary to grant a president the right to run as often as he or she wants to run. Legally and lawfully. In this upside-down world of Donald Trump and Mitch McConnell where they make up and change the rules as they go along, why not? Can't we do whatever we want, and justify it later Like Donald Trump and Mitch McConnell have done? Elect president Obama as the new president, have Obama toss Trump's ass back to Russia, and kick the can of justification down the road for some other day.

Last edited:

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Drove from Anderson, SC to Statesville, NC and back today...about 6 hr round trip.

Stopped three times, once going up at a Pilot at exit 105 on I-85, in SC.

Second time was in Statesville itself at a Circle K, just before the I-40 on-ramp.

Third time was just outside (sw) Spartanburg, SC...Hwy 290/I-85. Quick Trip.

All were chosen because my damned bad disc in my back makes my right leg ache like hell after sitting for prolonged periods...and all were big chains, clean, and and were convenient to give my leg a break and stretch.

Every one was nicely populated with customers, although the Pilot less so due to it being 9AM when I stopped.

And from what I saw.......THE VIRUS IS GONE!!!!

That's about the only conclusion I can draw...social distancing is what again? 6"? Because that's about all the "social distancing" I saw being used/respected.

Besides myself, I saw ONE other person with a mask on.

Damned depressing....and they're gonna kill my wife and me. Without a whit of remorse....and worse still, will in a round about way, celebrate that.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
As I have said before this ‘reopening’ is kind of silly anyway in that 1) things in the US were never THAT closed to begin with and 2) the primary driver of reduced activity is fear of the virus, not government mandates.

So I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see ‘spikes’, as not that much is changing, but we will see increases.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
She must have misspoke, she was thinking of countries where I live and do business.
Sorry. Sucks to be you. :(.

Feb 4, 2009
Guys don’t you see what’s happening?
They will blame “scientist” for saying
it’s safe to open
we’ll have a vaccine
we don’t need masks
plus they should have seen this coming

Deplorable's despise smart people, they’ll eat this up

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
As I have said before this ‘reopening’ is kind of silly anyway in that 1) things in the US were never THAT closed to begin with
Tell that to all the people laid off and furloughed.

and 2) the primary driver of reduced activity is fear of the virus, not government mandates.
The protests we are seeing are fueled by people frustrated because they don’t fear the virus and reject the government imposed restrictions that are impacting their business and livelihoods. One of the oddest demographics I’ve seen communicate strong opposition to the lockdown, and who are starting to echo Trump’s talking points, are salon owners.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Guys don’t you see what’s happening?
They will blame “scientist” for saying
it’s safe to open
we’ll have a vaccine
we don’t need masks
plus they should have seen this coming

Deplorable's despise smart people, they’ll eat this up
As is often the case, there is some truth to what Trump says. Mistakes were made in the scientific community and demographically and culturally, we are dealing with factors that other nations aren’t. That doesn’t excuse Trump for the mistakes he made, and he is amplifying these factors to distract from them, but there is some truth behind it.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Tell that to all the people laid off and furloughed.

Sure, I would say that to anyone - it’s the truth after all. Do you seriously not understand that the overwhelming majority of these layoffs and furloughs would have happened anyway?

Take the airline industry for example, it is and has been 100% open for business this entire time. Air travel is down ~90% and only massive government bailouts are preventing the wholesale collapse of the industry. If the government closing things is the cause of layoffs and furloughs then why is the unaffected airline industry dying?

You can also just use common sense. If someone offered you a free ticket to the movies today would you go? I wouldn’t.

The protests we are seeing are fueled by people frustrated because they don’t fear the virus and reject the government imposed restrictions that are impacting their business and livelihoods. One of the oddest demographics I’ve seen communicate strong opposition to the lockdown, and who are starting to echo Trump’s talking points, are salon owners.

You do realize the restrictions have broad public support, right?

Reactions: jman19