No soup for you! Because the Dems raided the food stamp funds to give to teachers

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
All you people screaming that this payout to the teachers unions was deficit neutral... well now that the bill is passed... we can find out where the money came from. hmm 300,000 teachers and state worker votes must outweigh the record number of people applying for food assistance.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...cy-groups-blast-cuts-food-stamps-fund-m-jobs/

I laugh at this mess because Tennessee will likely not get any of this bailout money. That damn fiscal responsibility which allowed the state to avoid public sector layoffs.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
I though republicans were against welfare?

And they are not cutting food stamps, they are just cutting the extra that was added on in the stimulus bill. i.e. return the program back to where it was before and doe snto take affect until 2014.

Last edited:

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Am I the only one annoyed that much of this stimulus money, which is ultimately on the shoulders of tax payers, going predominantly to state public servants? If they're going to be throwing a money party why not just mail some more $300 checks to tax payers or something. These public servants are overfed during this recession anyway.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Am I the only one annoyed that much of this stimulus money, which is ultimately on the shoulders of tax payers, going predominantly to state public servants? If they're going to be throwing a money party why not just mail some more $300 checks to tax payers or something. These public servants are overfed during this recession anyway.
my mother and sister are both teachers.

for Christmas this year, I'm thinking about not getting them anything because they already took my money from me ;)

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008

No you're not the only one. Only 2 years into the Dem ruled goverment and I'm ready to throw them bums out also.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I though republicans were against welfare?

And they are not cutting food stamps, they are just cutting the extra that was added on in the stimulus bill. i.e. return the program back to where it was before and doe snto take affect until 2014.

Added because of record number of requests for assistance. And Republicans may be against welfare... for me as long as it is not a lifestyle (i.e, continually getting pregnant to get more money, actively NOT looking for work, etc) sure. but like most government entitlement programs it is rife with fraud, waste, and abuse. But that is another thread.

I would just imagine the field day the liberal media outlets would have with this story had it been a republican congress doing this.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Am I the only one annoyed that much of this stimulus money, which is ultimately on the shoulders of tax payers, going predominantly to state public servants?

It is just like rewarding GM with a multi-billion dollar bailout for running the company into the ground. Ford didn't need a dime. Tennessee balanced it's budget by July 1st, 2010. We have the money to pay for the public servants here. New York on the other hand continually hires new teachers despite drops in enrollment as well having a whacked teacher/administrator ratio. My children have to pay for this?

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Its a good start, nicely played by GOP. Reassign our entitlement all you want welfare wh0res, no new ones for you.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Doesn't matter. The Dems will try to pass another piece of legislation increasing the funding back to the food stamps program. And they will spin it to blame the Republicans for not caring about the hungry in America.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
It is just like rewarding GM with a multi-billion dollar bailout for running the company into the ground. Ford didn't need a dime. Tennessee balanced it's budget by July 1st, 2010. We have the money to pay for the public servants here. New York on the other hand continually hires new teachers despite drops in enrollment as well having a whacked teacher/administrator ratio. My children have to pay for this?

Why do you hate jobs so much? This is the jobs bill. If you like jobs then you must support the jobs bill.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
No you're not the only one. Only 2 years into the Dem ruled goverment and I'm ready to throw them bums out also.

The sad thing is that we have only Republicans to replace them.

Screw voting for the lesser evil, this year I'm just writing in 'Satan'.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Imagine if Republicans had passed a bill that took 12 billion away from food stamps. Imagine the outrage the media would have at Republicans. I'm laughing just thinking about it. Surely would have been front page news...

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Imagine if Republicans had passed a bill that took 12 billion away from food stamps. Imagine the outrage the media would have at Republicans. I'm laughing just thinking about it. Surely would have been front page news...

Don't worry nick, the usual suspects should be arriving any moment to blame all of this on Bush.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The sad thing is that we have only Republicans to replace them.

Screw voting for the lesser evil, this year I'm just writing in 'Satan'.

cthulhu-4-prez.jpg

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000

Haha... using Tennessee as an example. Maybe because other states don;t want to be like Tennessess, a state that is in the bottom 10 states academically.
That and Tennessee is a welfare state. i.e. gets more money back from the Fed then they send. So yea its more easy to balance your books when you get more tax money back then you sent up. Not as bad as Alaska but still better then CA, NY, NH, etc...

khon

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2010
All they are doing is returning food stamp spending to pre-stimulus levels in 2014.

Doesn't make for quite as dramatic a headline I know, but it does have the advantage of being true.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
All they are doing is returning food stamp spending to pre-stimulus levels in 2014.

Doesn't make for quite as dramatic a headline I know, but it does have the advantage of being true.

Pre-stimulus levels, even though there are more people than ever now on food stamps?

khon

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2010
Pre-stimulus levels, even though there are more people than ever now on food stamps?

It's pre-stimulus levels in terms of spending per person, not spending overall.

Anyway if you really want to find a way to spin this to get headlines why not go with :

"Republicans vote to fire 300.000 teachers and cops"

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Bolded for the apparently reading impaired.

Is Mizz Cleo running the Democratic party these days? They can look into the future and see in 2014 that less people will be on food stamps? What if we double dip in recession? What if the economy does not get better?

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Is Mizz Cleo running the Democratic party these days? They can look into the future and see in 2014 that less people will be on food stamps? What if we double dip in recession? What if the economy does not get better?

1) If things stay this bad for that long, we have bigger problems than that

2) Uh, increase them back again maybe?

Your fake outrage is starting to show though ...