No Smart Feature sounds back to receiver to speakers

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
Hello guys, whats up?

I know this is always confusing to start up because everyones system is set up different, but heres how mine are connected:

Fios STB --HDMI--> Pioneer VSX-1022 Receiver --HDMI--> Sony XBR 65X850E

I just got this new Smart TV (coming from a 2012 not smart 1080p TV.

Whenever I use the smart features on the TV (Netflix,Amazon,Hulu,Youtube, etc) the TV sound is only able to come out of the TV's stupid speakers.

I have the Receiver set set to (HDMI ARC) and the HDMI cable is plugged into the Sony TV's HDMI 3 (ARC) input. What I currently hear is an obnoxious clicking noise coming from my tower speakers whenever I play anything using the smart features. All sound is 100% fine when I play sound with anything connected directly to the receiver's HDMI input like my Chromecast Ultra, Fios TV STB, PS4 (haven't tested the ps4, but I'm sure it'll be fine).

I have tried 2 HDMI cables already, 1 Monoprice cable from 2012, and 1 AmazonBasics HDMI cable from at least 3 years ago. Should these cables be fine?

I also have an AmazonBasics Optical cable coming in the mail hoping to at least get the sound working w/ the Smart Features, how do I connect the optical cable? Sorry I first built my HTS in 2012 and never needed to use one before...

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
stupid question

but did you cahnge the receiver to the arc input?
on my denon its labeled tv audio

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
On the Pioneer Receiver, I can go into it's settings and this black & white screen comes onto the TV. I use the receiver remote and changed the HDMI setting to ARC - ON. It was off previously. Did I need to make any other changes? this is like magic if I can get ARC working...

Last edited:

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
usually
every input has a selection on a receiver
hdmi1, hdmi2, ect

find the one for arc, as i said my denon is labeled as tv